Vitamin Freak

Media
Who here is a vitamin freak like myself?

I feel like I have this unhealthy obsession with vitamins. I love vitamins. I spent over $200.00 over the period of two years. I usually take 8 vitamins but I lowered to 4 a day. I got so obsessed that I bought pre-natal vitamins. Which I am sure is going to set off some controversy in my family and bad assumptions. Yeah whatever. But anyways since I have been vitamin obsessed my hair skin and nails is always glowing, growing and vibrant.

I am even had the nerve to sit down and read a 600 page vitamin/mineral guide. I was so absorbed over vitamins. I know about the fat soluble and water soluble vitamins. I was so obsessed that I would take Omega-3, 2 Vitamin C tabs, Biotin, women's multivitamin (3 pills would = 1 dosage), and b complex! OMG vitamins are so everything. Yeah I haven't been sick in at least 8 months now.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Who here is a vitamin freak like myself?

I feel like I have this unhealthy obsession with vitamins. I love vitamins. I spent over $200.00 over the period of two years. I usually take 8 vitamins but I lowered to 4 a day. I got so obsessed that I bought pre-natal vitamins. Which I am sure is going to set off some controversy in my family and bad assumptions. Yeah whatever. But anyways since I have been vitamin obsessed my hair skin and nails is always glowing, growing and vibrant.

I am even had the nerve to sit down and read a 600 page vitamin/mineral guide. I was so absorbed over vitamins. I know about the fat soluble and water soluble vitamins. I was so obsessed that I would take Omega-3, 2 Vitamin C tabs, Biotin, women's multivitamin (3 pills would = 1 dosage), and b complex! OMG vitamins are so everything. Yeah I haven't been sick in at least 8 months now.
i take between 20 or 30 different vitamins a day. To overload on Vitamins isnt good. The Multible is the only one i question because it contains Iron. Too much iron can be harmfull. The body only takes what it needs and gets rid of the rest. So you are really wasting money and not reaping the benifits. Vitamins should be taking in a even Ratio. Too much of one can over ride the other. So take a pinch of this and a pinch of that. You are living a healthy life and thats great.:smile:

lafever

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I take a multivitamin every day, but like it`s been said, too many can be dangerous, some can even kill you if you have certain blood disorders.

lafever

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've taken vitamins everyday since I was 19. At 19 I found that vitamin C really helped my acne problem. It's a natural antihistamine, so it can also help with allergy symptoms. I have taken 3,000+mg daily since I was 19. I also take a good multivitamin and multimineral throughout the day. I have on and off taken vitamin E also. I spend about $200/year on vitamins.

huw ginnit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Vitamins supplements don't work.

They are a crank cure.

The human body assimilates all the required nutrients through it's food intake. A balanced diet provides all the vitamins you need. Adding supplements to a balanced diet increases possible toxicity levels, effectively you are self-medicating. A balanced diets includes as we all know, large amounts of fruit and vegetables, packed with nutrients in their own right, grains and pulses, fish and meat and possibly dairy. It is low in fats, sugars, and salt. Eating these foods in combination can prevent most illnesses, developing. Omitting one major group of foodstuffs (ie vegetarianism)requires a careful balance of others to ensure good dietary intake is maintained, (beans and pulses to ensure proteins)

As for your feeling of well being, how do you know that you aren't just generally well at this point.

A paranoia has been introduced into society since the 1960's and the wholefood revolution that the western diet is the cause of so many ills. This is a fallacy, and UNBALANCED diet is the route cause of lots of illnesses.

Eat sensibly, take exercise and spend the money you waste on pills and supplements, (many of which pass through the body without absorption,), on pampering yourself to feel good.

The only time I have ever taken supplements have been when a medical condition has shown that there was a significant need to take them, and that was Iron for a mild anaemia. Other than that leave well alone, you don't know what damage you are doing.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
I agree vitamins are a crock. I think that if you have to take vitamins to supplement your diet because you aren't getting enough of something then you should re-evaluate your eating habits.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I agree vitamins are a crock. I think that if you have to take vitamins to supplement your diet because you aren't getting enough of something then you should re-evaluate your eating habits.

Then I guess I have to evaluate my eating habits! lol. I don't think vitamins are a crock. I take them, and I notice differences in my body, skin, and hair that are a positive thing. I've never met anyone in my life that has toxified their body by taking too many vitamins.

chico8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Modern food production means that a lot of nutrients are lost. High stress levels, high levels of environmental pollution all mean that the modern body needs more nutrients and antioxidants than our ancestors needed.

Unfortunately, the combination of snake oil salesmen, ignorant physicians and greedy pharmaceutical companies means those interested in taking supplements have a hard time finding valid information.

Those who dismiss the value of supplements are just as ignorant as those who OD on them.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Absolutely vitamins work! You just have to be careful which brands/ones you take. (I've been a vitamin freak since I was 14)

And if you eat well too... double great!

Good job, CrissySnow.:wink:

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
Then I guess I have to evaluate my eating habits! lol. I don't think vitamins are a crock. I take them, and I notice differences in my body, skin, and hair that are a positive thing. I've never met anyone in my life that has toxified their body by taking too many vitamins.
hehe see.. I am the same way... I rarely eat veggies or fruit. No bread usually, pasta sometimes. I don't eat a hell of alot that is healthy. Chips, pop, random candy. I'm heart disease waiting to happen.

Media
Absolutely vitamins work! You just have to be careful which brands/ones you take. (I've been a vitamin freak since I was 14)

And if you eat well too... double great!

Good job, CrissySnow.:wink:

lol I am such a health freak that I eat raw food also so I am over vitaminfied I love these pre-natal vitamins my nails have grown in 2 days these things are amazing

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you have a normal healthy diet vitamins really are a waste of money. Our body needs so much of a specific vitamin and any extra we get is just pissed or poo'd out, and with some vitamins/minerals too much can actually be harmful.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A normal healthy diet will provide enough vitamins to prevent the common diseases associated with a deficiency. For example, people will rarely get scurvy from a lack of vitamin C in our society. The people that take extra vitamins believe that they have an additional beneficial effect. The studies haven't proven this, but some of the effects may not be easily measured.

I admit that it is somewhat of a gamble to take vitamins. I don't think they are harmful. It's just the monetary cost versus health benefit.

And it's true the water soluble vitamins will just be urinated away, but that's why you need to take smaller doses throughout the day.

Like I said earlier, I can swear that taking vitamin C when I was younger helped my acne problem, so I became a believer. I also discovered that certain foods would make me breakout. I think it was an allergic reaction and the vitamin C had an antihistamine effect, thus reducing the breakout.

I believe that stress on the body, pollution, smoking, alcohol, exercise will increase the need for nutrients, perhaps above what a normal diet can provide. And how many people actually eat a really good balanced diet everyday?

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
there are some supplements out there that really do work well for various things. fish oil concentrate has been shown to help a variety of things, including mood disorders.

i can't see where a good multivitamin can hurt you. it's better to eat vitamins and the like as they are found in food, but as other posters have pointed out, it's hard to fit that in every day.

i have to echo what chico said that there comes a point where you're spending too much money for very little benefit. you also have to make sure your vitamin suppliers are reputable since they supplement industry is much more poorly regulated than the drug industry.

the best thing to do is to educate yourself. know what you're taking and why. this means looking at outside sources, reading studies, etc. doing that will help you figure out how much is enough so you're not wasting your money. it's also vital that you talk to your doctor about the supplements you're taking. supplements aren't a replacement for good medical care, and regular blood tests will help you and your doc tailor your supplement regimen to your exact needs.

SereneBlue

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I love supplements. I know they work for me. I was actually able to measure the monthly growth rate difference in my hair from before taking MSM and L-Acetyl Cystein to after (I take these 2 on alternating days so they don't compete with each other for absorption). Prior to taking them I had less than .5 inches of hair growth per month. Since taking them I now have close to an inch per month.

All in all I take close to 15 different supplements - spaced out at different times throughout the day.