VIVE la FRANCE !!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Ralexx, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Ralexx

Ralexx Member

[move] VIVE LA FRANCE !! [/move]

Well, I must confess I am not really a fan of July 14 - I'm a monarchist - but it is a possibility to greet this nation & this country to whom I owe so much. 1789 - 2003... non, mes chers, non, for me the deep, true France starts when Clovis (Chlodovec) was crowned... 486 AD, if I do remember well.

France, France... a country that reminds me the glitter of a diamond, and whose capital city is the perfect expression of a "blue royal sapphire".

Je vous embrasse, :-* :-* :-*

2. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: I would respond in French, Raal, but considering the firestorm that started in the Meet and Greet Category, I will decline.

Long Live the King, eh? Well you have to admit he was kinda getting out of hand in 1789....

Happy Birthday to La Republique....is it still the 5th one they're on?

7x6&C

3. Imported

Gold Member

Javierdude22: Wasnt it 485?...

anyways, like throb already mentioned in his thread: congratulations indeed to our fellow Frenchies here...have fun with the fireworks, and dont get too drunk now...:)

4. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

One hardly ever hears mention of the Merovingian kings nowdays. Kings who claimed the right to rule because Clovis was thought to be descended from Jesus and Mary Magdalene, and his queen Clothilde was supposed to be a descendant of Joseph and Arimathea. And these claims were accepted by the Church and Pope Anastasius II swore allegiance to him. After the fall of the Merovingian dynasty, the descendants of Charles Martel had assumed the throne. The dynasties following could never live up to the legend of Clovis and the long-haired Merovingian sorcerer kings.

(BTW ... my history books say that Clovis ascended the throne when his father, Childeric,died in 481.)

5. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: "Tout Gaul est divise en trois partes."

Still - Merovingian kings or not - one can hardly blame the peasants for revolting at the time...not exactly easy to sit there and take what Louis XVI was dishing out while sitting in Versailles, amongst other chateaux.

Liberte! Egalite! Fraternite!

(Damn American keyboards - no accents aigus)

Vive La France!

Paul
    7x6&C

6. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

[quote author=7by6etC link=board=99;num=1058214965;start=0#4 date=07/14/03 at 19:37:32](Damn American keyboards - no accents aigus)
    [/quote]

Try holding down the Alt key while typing 0233 on the number pad (the Num Lock must be on.). When you release the Alt key, you'll probably see é.

7. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: I figured there was a way to do it, but remembering ASCII numbers for particular characters is a little much for me, methinks.

Got any more pointers as to grave/circonflex? Although I did promise no more French - these might come in handy elsewhere....

7x6&C

8. Imported

Gold Member

throb919:
    Paul--make that damn American IBM/DOS/Windows keyboards. Pretty easy here in "Mac-world." You want é, you type "option + e"; you want ç, you type "option + c"; you want...well, you get the idea.

So for you (et nos amis français): Liberté! Égalité! Fraternité!

9. Ralexx

Ralexx Member

Indeed, several different dates:

"Quid 2003" says :

« 481/2 (selon Grégoire de Tours) Clovis Ier (Tournai 466/Paris 27-11-511) son nom Clodovech ou, en vieux francique, Hlod-Wig, illustre à la guerre (en germano-latin Hludovicus) est un doublet de " Louis ". Fils de Childéric Ier. Lui succède à 15 ans. Ép. 1o) N. (concubine) 1 enfant : Théodoric Ier ; 2o) 492/4 Clotilde ou Chrotechildis (vers 470/Tours 3-6-544 ou 548, monastère St-Martin de Tours) fille de Chilpéric II, roi des Burgondes, et nièce du roi burgonde Gondebaud ; catholique, elle sera canonisée par Pélage II dont 6 enfants. Roi des Francs Saliens de Tournai, il commande environ 5 000 guerriers. »

Yes, Merovingians claimed indeed that descent ! The Habsburgs claimed to have Jesus as ancestor, the Eszterhazy princes wanted Enoch to be their genealogical root, the Massimos and the Orsinis disputed Caesar as pater familiae, etc... Delicious pride !

Larousse gives « l'année 486 ».
    Anyway, there are some 1520 years !! :eek: I cannot even imagine such a distance back in time !!
    Pourtant, this doesn't change France's reality ;D

Royalement Vostre,
    Raalus de Laexx

10. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: Throb -

Merci beaucoup. Malheureusement, tu as raison, j'utilise <<Fenetres>>.

Bill Gates est espèce de salope vachement né de la chier d'un rénard penible. Fiche-moi mes accents sans tout ce travail, Guillaume Gates!

ahem...

<<descendant de la boite du savon>>

Paul
    7x6&C

11. Imported

Gold Member

throb919: Alors, Paul--tu parles! C'est dit!
    À l'égard de M. Gates, il ne se fait pas chier!

T

12. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: I think we're safe from the topic police if we keep the French here.

Je crois que la "police sujet" ne nous trouveront ici...

:D

Paul

13. jonb

Gold Member

@Whopper:
    Better is to use an appropriate ASCII character after the character. Some of us don't have Wintendo, yanno? Here are some I can think of:

acute '
    double acute "
    grave `
    circumflex, hacek ^
    cedilla, ogonek ,
    umlaut :
    tilde ~
    glottal stop ?

So, for example, Milošević becomes Milos^evic'.

Now, on the Web, you have different encoding methods. But until YaBB adds that little feature, we have to use this.

14. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

But Jon ... forms like Espan~a, franc,ais, scho:n, j'e'spe`re, etc. are too damn ugly for words. On my browser, the diacritics show up. I can read the diacritics in the posts fine on the Macs at school and on friends' PC's. Apparently many people here see the appropriate diacritical marks. I'm sorry that they don't show up correctly for you, but I just can't bring myself to write my last name as Nu'n~ez ... damn, that hurt!

15. Imported

Gold Member

tott666: [quote author=throb919 link=board=99;num=1058214965;start=0#7 date=07/14/03 at 21:57:54]Pretty easy here in "Mac-world." You want é, you type "option + e"; you want ç, you type "option + c"; you want...well, you get the idea.[/b][/quote]

I use Macs at home and at work, I can't recall ever having any trouble reading/writing special characters anywhere. Whopper, get your boyfriend to buy you a Mac as a belated birtday present!

;)

(OK, I've had problems at work at times because I am involved in developement, sort of. People sometimes forget that files have to look good to everyone...)

16. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

[quote author=tott666 link=board=99;num=1058214965;start=0#14 date=07/16/03 at 16:09:15]

I use Macs at home and at work, I can't recall ever having any trouble reading/writing special characters anywhere. Whopper, get your boyfriend to buy you a Mac as a belated birtday present![/quote]

I have no problem reading or writing special characters or dacritical marks on my browser. It's jonb, not I, who had the complaint.

17. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: It occured to me that one could also switch the "regional settings" in Windoze...but then the keyboard map doesn't quite work anymore... :D

7x6&C

18. jonb

Gold Member

[quote author=DoubleMeatWhopper link=board=99;num=1058214965;start=0#13 date=07/16/03 at 07:19:22]But Jon ... forms like Espan~a, franc,ais, scho:n, j'e'spe`re, etc. are too damn ugly for words. On my browser, the diacritics show up. I can read the diacritics in the posts fine on the Macs at school and on friends' PC's. Apparently many people here see the appropriate diacritical marks. I'm sorry that they don't show up correctly for you, but I just can't bring myself to write my last name as Nu'n~ez ... damn, that hurt![/quote]
    My non-ASCII encoding doesn't work on this forum; it works fine anywhere else, though. Except usenet, which was designed in the days of ASCII-7. Also it scrws up on Yawhore. So I get a lot of those lovely rectangles on my screen; go to any Japanese page to see said lovely rectangles.

19. Imported

Gold Member

Finnmark: Well, damn the diacritics (though some useful info has been thrown up there, for which thanks) ... but back to July 14th.

"VIVE la FRANCE !!" indeed !!!

Just back from a week in Paris - from the world's most civilised country - the most cultured - the land possessing sights simple and sophisticated, contemporary and historical, all eager to delight the eye and mind at every turn.

Back by Eurostar, 180mph, 20 minutes under the sea, through that umbilical tunnel which connects decaying, suffocating London with Parisian elegance; joins a Britain bent on destroying its inheritance of natural beauty with another land which can create a work of art out of the mere utilitarian junction of four roads (we call them 'roundabouts'). Links a country which has lost its identity with one which most certainly has not.

So I am grieved at the French-bashing of recent times, by the boycotting of France by so many Americans (they are the ultimate losers), by the appalling xenophobia regularly displayed in the subterranean reaches of the British tabloid press (surely the worst in the world).

But encouraged by a country (not perfect, it cannot be) which never fails to inspire, by LPSG members who perceive this and have that excellent language at finger-tip and tongue-tip moreover, and by the fact (selfishly) that la belle France is mine for the asking in a couple of hours or so as if by magic carpet.

It almost makes living in Britain worthwhile.

20. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: Finnmark-

Having France at 2 hours notice does make living in the UK that much more worthwhile.

The important thing for all to remember - all Americans are not Geo. W. Bush any more than all Britons are Tony Blair.

There are almost 300 million of us...surely someone doesn't agree with the Man.

That said - I'd hardly call London suffocating - ever been to New York? ;D

Paul
    7x6&C

ps - Le francais, c'est facile de l'apprendre!

Draft saved Draft deleted