Vive La Streisand!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Stronzo, Nov 11, 2006.

1. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Quilty pleasure number one for this homo:

La Streisand when she's good. And when she's good as in this clip from YouTube ... it just doesn't get any better.

Wait for her to hold that last note.

This is a gay boy's wet dream (figuratively of course).

2. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Why do gay men like Barbara Streisand so much? I don't get it.

3. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

"Barbra" (she removed one 'a' early-on)

Talent.

I believe many of us hear and sense differently than heterosexual males.

If you watched that video and don't get the talent (the once in a lifetime kind) that's inherent in that woman's singing voice there is no possible way I can explain it to you.

"Why do so many hetero men like sports?" Would be a question I could answer conversely but the answer would undoubtedly be unsatisfactory to sports aficionados and competitors in general alike.

4. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

I often wonder the same thing myself. Niether obsession really makes sense to me. Though I can understand a large segment of the population loving the work of some creative person I don't care for. Dave Matthew's Band, for instance. I just think it's a little odd that sexual preference should have anything to do with musical preference. Yet I know very few straight men who enjoy Streisand, Madonna, Hanson, Cher or Britney Spears.

5. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Good music to me is a part of the life experience NIC. I don't see my love for Bach and Vivaldi and Débussy and Rachmaninoff as "obsessions". They're loves. They make the day more beautiful and the heart more full.

Let me give a shot at the gay man's perspective on the "La Streisand" phenomena generally as I've experienced it and as others like me have explained it to me themselves:

Here:

There's the talent of which I spoke. To my musician's ear there's clarity of pitch and control of her instrument (her voice). There's her odd ugly/beauty living simultaneously in her person. That appeals to my overt sense of the aesthetic.

Then to the greater gay male population women like Streisand, Garland, Crawford, represent a piece of them. In them we see women (who were and are a minority) struggling against the odds and winning and succeeding with sheer force of will and drive (and one damned healthy dose of inborn talent).

That's something many of us can relate to very personally. So people like Barbra Streisand become icons of triumph to us.

In essence? In her I see a piece of myself in a sense.

Can I just like her please?:redface:

You don't have to.

6. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

If it helps you understand at all I don't in the least care for anyone in that list you mention save Miss Streisand.

I know many homosexuals do. I'm not among them.

But in my last I've explained why, I believe my 'particular sector of the sexual population' finds certain female entertainers so appealing. Others will correct me if I'm off the mark.

7. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Can it be that it was all so simple then?

The Way We Were is my favorite song of hers.

8. Shelby

Gold Member

Bab's can sing. Truly well! And she is/was hot in an offbeat Johannson way. But her politics suck.

9. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

You're more than welcome to. Though I'm still curious. Is there something about the gay experience that lends itself toward identifying with Streisand's music? I mean, how is it about overcoming adversity? and can't you find similar vibes in... say... Garth Brooks? You say you see a piece of yourself in her.. which is totally relatable. This is part of why I love Trent Reznor's work so much. But again, SO many gay men are huge Streisand fans (granted, not all of them) that it has become a cliché so there has to be some kind of deeper explanation.

10. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

I agree Lex... the same fellow "Bluebird" who put that YouTube tape together has several others on that same site which warrant a look-see. That guy or girl has a formidable talent at remixing and editing imagery.

Shelby? Good man.

I knew her politics would come up but good man. I love your crazy ass.:tongue:

11. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

12. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

< not a fan of her looks, either. I wasn't going to bring it up, though. :rolleyes:

13. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Here's a "shot""

Garth Brooks is a male overweight country singer. Gay men don't generally see anything in that appealing.

Liking Streisand's only become 'clich&#233;' because many heterosexuals seem to love to harp on it.

I like Streisand's music singly well for these reasons (some of which I've stated already)

1) Beauty of pitch and tone.

2) Daring to hit a note (and hitting it) that no other singer would dare attempt.

3) Her voice becomes an instrument rather than remain simply a singing voice often...

4) CONTROL of that instrument.

Beyond that I can tell you that much of her music I dislike (70s and 80s pop stuff).

I only really pay attention when she returns to her Broadway or more conventional roots and sings as here in this video.

But since you ask please do me this favor:

If you'd just do me the favor of listening to it in its entirety (assuming you have good speakers) and just drop all the notions preconceived or otherwise of what you previously thought of her and close your eyes to the video. JUST LISTEN. Listen to how her voice wraps itself physically around the orchestration and actually seduces the music to become one with her voice. Don't let anything else into your brain but the voice.

Streisand is unique in this in that she "intellectualizes" the music. With that ability, a keen mind, an superb natural ability she becomes "sans pareil" (without parallel) to anyone who loves a beautiful female voice.

Please, since you've asked, do this for me and tell me if you can see in the least what I mean.

I'm very interested in your "take" on this since I think you and I may simply have landed by accident on a very pivotal differences in our genetic make up as respectively hetero and homosexual men.

Again NIC - I firmly believe some gay men simply hear and sense differently than straight ones. Not better.. just differently.

(by the way I don't like Dave Matthews either but then I don't like much of anything that would come under the category of "pop" music)

14. Shelby

Gold Member

Barbra sings like a bird.

and she's hot as a firercracker.

15. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

.......... well that was a study in wasted energy.:rolleyes:

16. cklover

Gold Member

Albums:
    I WANT TO SUCK HER COCK!!!!!!!....ummmm, no...many of us gay men identify with women emotionally and respond to dramatic and musical interpretations of our own feelings that only can come through women like her and other diva singers. She is gifted with the ability to act and sing and create a whole theatrical experience. No put-down of str8 men, but y'all just aren't built for that!

17. Heather LouAnna

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wednesday night, it was martinis four ladies, and two young ( very young! 20 and 21) gay gentlemen. We're all wrapped around each other on the semi circle couch in front of the tube.

Sex and The City was on, if you want to even try to call it that when they show it all edited and chopped up on TBS. :rolleyes:

The two gay men (those youngins) were NOT Streisand fans. None of us girls could believe it! Then came the meeeeeeeeeeeemories serenade. The boys didn't know one word. We were just..shocked.

18. dannymawg

Gold Member

I think my folks are straight, and there was lots of Babs in our house in my youth. Her voice (and what she does with it) is a benchmark that I think trandscends the gay/straight aesthetic issue.

Would the word "camp" help out in explaining that issue? :biggrin1:

19. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Heather LouAnna?

Thank you for dispelling a pervasive stereotype. (and I hope you ripped the gay patches right off their respective lapels!)

20. Heather LouAnna

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh, darling. It's nothing to do with stereotypes! They were so fucking young that I put on that old VIM track where Maggie Tatcher's speeches are cut up so she's saying "The bass goes on. Acid Party. Let's have a party. Come to the party. Rave rave rave, murder." and they were like "Margaret Thatcher?! WHO?!

I didn't know whether to be shocked or awed.

Draft saved Draft deleted