Voices (I Hear Voices...)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Imported, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Imported

Gold Member

TragicWhiteKnight: Here's a thread I'm surprised I haven't seen on the board:

Any correlation between having a deep voice and a big dick? Or at least in making an assumption?

Do you like your voice/accent?

And where can you get a nifty microphone for the Yahoo! Voice chat? [okay, that's a question that can be answered in a private message; the rest are game questions]

2. Imported

Gold Member

Solis24: Very interesting question although I would tend to say there is no correlation. I guess my voice is ok but it's a bit too nasal for my liking. And for the record, I sing tenor but my speaking voice is rather low.

And go to radio shack for a mic (; Oh wait, what do you have in the UK... Saturn? MediaMarket? Audioland? I forget...

3. Max

Max New Member

Sing bass here (not with any distinction at all) .. I don't need too rasping a bad throat to get down to a good Robeson / Lee Marvin pitch. Speaking voice reflects that I suppose, but it varies a lot.

4. Imported

Gold Member

headbang8: Incredibly interesting (and obvious!) subject.

I read somewhere years ago that a prof with too much time and grant money surveyed male choir members. He found that basses have a more abundant sex life than tenors and baritones, in that they ejaculate more often by whatever means. Wish I could find the article.

I took an elective in Voice in college, and studied at the conservatorium attached to my university. The instructors said that one's singing range was more flexible than most people imagined, and could be extended with practice---usually upward, in the case of men. I started as a light baritone, but could squeak out a decent tenor by the time I finished the elective. I gave up because it would take a lot of work to make anything of my voice--"light baritione" is opera-code for unemployable tenor.

(Nowadays, of course, my voice is crap. Totally out of practice.)

Someone once told me that the size of your neck determines the size of your larynx, so bigger, beefier guys tand to be basses---Pavarotti notwithstanding.

My brother and I are an interesting contrast. We're both big guys, but he's much bigger than me. He sings bass while I can sing (almost) tenor. Yet our speaking voices are identical--not even my mother can tell us apart on the phone. As a baby, I'm sure my nephew felt at ease in my arms because his dad and I sounded the same. He didn't take to any of his other aunts or uncles quite so readily.

His wife, a speech therapist, maintains that the similarity in timbre of the voices most likely comes from the resonating bones and cartilage in the skull and nasal cavity. My brother and I don't look very much alike, but we do resemble each other around the nose and brow. Maybe that's an explanation.

You might as well ask, too, about whether big balls mean deep voices. For what it's worth, mine are big enough to be an inconvenience.

Thanks for asking the question, TWK. Maybe you should turn it into a poll.

5. Imported

Gold Member

GreenEyes: I have been told I have a sexy voice. Shrugs. I also can do a good Nanny's voice considering I am in NY.

6. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: Mine's not overly deep - I sing baritone - but deeper than people expect when they see me.  I am often told that people expect me to be older and larger than I am, based on the sound of my voice.

I don't know that there is a correlation per se - although it has something to do with testosterone, obviously...and I'd imagine something to do with human growth hormone, too.

Edited to add: I didn't answer TWK's other question. I like my voice - it has a good timber to it, is a little nasal though - but that's, I think, part of growing up in this part of the US - we tend to be rather nasal up here...

7x6&C

7. Imported

Gold Member

sammygirly: No endowment, but my voice is on the lower end of the scale - husky.

When Dee heard it - his response was "You SO did phone sex in a previous life" - which is a response I get all the time LoL.

Speaking of Dee, when I did eventually hear his voice - it shocked me how much lower it was than I thought it would be....and Maximillian's voice is also low....

Hmmm....connections....

8. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: I personally like knowing what people sound like....that way when you read their posts you can HEAR them saying it.

Paul

9. Imported

Gold Member

sammygirly: I'm addicted to voice chat - why haven't we done it Paul?? Lawdy!....oh, might be that I'm logged into the wrong yahoo ID

10. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: That's a good question - most of the people I've tried it with either (a) don't have a microphone - which, to answer TWK's question - in Great Britain, I'm not sure...here in the States a Radio Shack or other small electronics store would have them - or (b) don't have speakers or (c) don't have broadband. Now, of course, c isn't a stopper, just something that makes it very interesting because there's a delay in hearing/response.

The next time I see you out there on Yahoo I just may give it a whirl - we should see if it works before we try this Yahoo Meet and Greet - a dry run, if you will.

Paul

11. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

[quote author=headbang8 link=board=meetgreet;num=1062842327;start=0#3 date=09/06/03 at 05:20:05]I read somewhere years ago that a prof with too much  time and grant money surveyed male choir members. He found that basses have a more abundant sex life than tenors and baritones, in that they ejaculate more often by whatever means.  Wish I could find the article.[/quote]

Interesting ... especially since baritones have the reputation for being absolute dogs (sexually speaking, that is). The baritones I know get laid more often than the tenors and basses put together.

You must be joking. I have a friend who is considered a light baritone, or lyric baritone, whose career is thriving because he has the perfect range for rôles like Figaro in Il barbiere di Siviglia, Valentin in Faust, Athanaël in Thaïs, Renato in Un ballo in maschera, Morales in Carmen and Stanley Kowalski in A Streetcar Named Desire. A singer who can handle those light baritone parts well is far from unemployable; he is in demand.

About my own voice: It's baritone and I like it well enough. I just wish I could get rid of the trace of Carib accent.

12. Imported

Gold Member

AnonyMs: [quote author=sammygirly link=board=meetgreet;num=1062842327;start=0#6 date=09/06/03 at 08:42:24]When Dee heard it - his response was "You SO did phone sex in a previous life" - which is a response I get all the time LoL.
    [/quote]I do not have a husky voice but get the phone sex comment all the time as well. hmmm..... maybe it is in the attitude? ? ?

13. Imported

Gold Member

GreenEyes: ok anybody on that wants to try the chat voice thing in here for like ten minutes.... I will be there. It is 5:37pm Eastern time.... I still have to get my bedroom ready for sleep tonight. Talk about dust and splinters.

OH again the name is jadedvision

14. Imported

Gold Member

Solis24: DMW: DON'T loose your accent! Don't be a conformist... Unless it really is a major impediment in how people react toward you but a light accent usually isn't...

I've been in Germany for over a year now and only have a trace of an accent left when I speak German. For practical purposes and to attempt to integrate myself better, I've been meaning to work on loosing it completely but many people have urged me NOT to. It makes me unique and it's even considered cute, so why bother? Be proud of your heritage! (=

15. Imported

Gold Member

H8Monga: If anyone can recall, I not only hate my size, but I hate my voice too... I'm not a small guy otherwise (although I'm not that tall, 5'8"-9") and when people see me, especially since I look older than 24 people have told me, and hear me for the first time, my voice doesn't match my appearance. This big guy with this little voice.  I swear my voice never changed.  

At 19, when I visited my school, my 8th grade history teacher told me nothing changed since I was in 8th grade, just that I had facial hair (which I did have by the end of it). "You sound the same," is what I remember most about that encounter. In 9th grade I used to get teased because my voice hadn't changed and I wrote about it in my journal for health class since we were on the subject of puberty and stuff. The teacher wrote me back in my journal, "Your voice will change."  Ten years later I'm still waiting.

I get called "ma'am" on the phone and in drive-thrus... I remember one time I answered the phone and it was a family friend calling for my grandmother. This person has known me before I was born and knows my voice. This time though, she didn't recognize my voice and thought she had the wrong number, but I caught hers and told my grandmother to pick up the other phone. When she did, and I checked to see if she had to hang the phone up, I heard her say, " That was Cameron? He sounds like a girl." ...

I did get a laugh one time when I drove through KFC and they called me "ma'am" and when I got to the window I told them "DON'T CALL ME MA'AM!" which prompted the guys at the window to burst out laught... they did apologize and I got some free food!

But anyway... if my voice and size go together then I guess it's a perfect match. Still think God didn't fully install the puberty software. However, about the subject, I believe it varies from person to person just like with anything else.

16. Imported

Gold Member

hawl:      I am pretty shameless about checking out the latest theories about genetics, even eugenics, and I have never seen any hint of a correlation suggested between penis size and deepness of voice, voice timbre, etc.. I don't think a real link has been established even between testosterone level ranges among healthy adult males and "deepness" of voice. Not to pick on the unhappy guy, but think of Mike Tyson, voice-wise. Is he a low-testosterone male? Then again, for all we know, he is, but his body is unusually good at utilizing/maximizing whatever testosterone he has. This stuff is complicated, very interesting to some perhaps sick puppies like myself, but so much is still unknown, in part due to guys like Richard Lewontin, Stephen Jay Gould, etc. discouraging research for what they admit are political reasons. For example, a lot of people have sort of a street-corner knowledge of a link between testosterone and body hair or baldness, but they don't realize testosterone needs predisposing genes to work its effects. That is, for example, an Asian or Black can '''roid out" and not necessarily suffer as much body hair growth as a Caucasian. Similarly, someone not genetically predisposed to baldness has less to worry about. I have seen that "choir study" about "basses ejaculating more often" referenced in many books but that's just one study of men who happen to sing in a choir, not a representative sample of the global population. Anyway, the first thing I thought when reading this question was, what about the great Todd Rundgren, supposedly famous for his huge penis (see Bebe Buell's recent memoirs), and his sometimes notable vocal similarity to Carole King? I also thought of advice I read somewhere about public speaking, etc. which advised using different keys, all the notes in the scale etc. like a musician in one's everyday conversation to keep listeners interested. Think of the difference between many American men's drone, like that of Bob "one-note" Dole (and his hero Richard Nixon) and say, Christopher Walken, someone trained since childhood in acting, dancing, etc., someone with a sense of rhythm, how to vary emotional intensity, etc.. As AnonyMs noted, sheer attitude also affects things.

17. Imported

Gold Member

aj2181: I have an avarage, deep voice. I don't think there would be a connection between someones voice and the size of their penis. I don't know why that would have any bearing on penis size, just like shoe size, hand size, nose size, etc.

18. jdoe86

Gold Member

Albums:
    "you're just jealous cause the voices talk to me"

19. B_RoysToy

B_RoysToy New Member

Well, twk, my voice could be deeper and my penis could be bigger (at least longer)!

I sing bass in church choir and baritone I in symphony chorus. However, I've had people ask if I sing tenor, making me think my talking voice is higher sounding.

Maybe the next time I'm asked what voice I sing, I'll offer to show my tool to help them decide! Right!

20. Imported

Gold Member

aj2181: [quote author=geo8x6 link=board=meetgreet;num=1062842327;start=0#17 date=09/07/03 at 10:05:39]"you're just jealous cause the voices talk to me"[/quote]

;)

Draft saved Draft deleted