VOIP services -- how do you rate yours?

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Try SKYPE, (Skype - internet calls - download Skype free now - free calls - official website)

it is used extensively in Europe and is not as well known in the U.S.

I use it and am very happy with it- I got rid of my 'land line' in fact. I rarely have problems (usually a slight echo- if it gets bad I just call right back). One nice thing- if you talk to other Skype users in other countries- the call is free. I believe they are 30$ a year (but free to continental U.S.) I started Dec 31, so go it at 15$.

I also like having the mic to be hands free.

dudepiston

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
So, just to be clear - you're *not* dead, right?

And...I'd like to try VOIP but what holds me back is, don't you have to have your telephone right next to your router? No more plugging them into convenient jacks all over the house?

Ha ha! I said 'jacks'....

I'm technology challenged, so I don't know what VOIP is.
I use to have Sprint until I lost service with them,I called them up,and they told me that I was dead!

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Try SKYPE, (Skype - internet calls - download Skype free now - free calls - official website)

it is used extensively in Europe and is not as well known in the U.S.

I use it and am very happy with it- I got rid of my 'land line' in fact. I rarely have problems (usually a slight echo- if it gets bad I just call right back). One nice thing- if you talk to other Skype users in other countries- the call is free. I believe they are 30$ a year (but free to continental U.S.) I started Dec 31, so go it at 15$.

I also like having the mic to be hands free.

What cost you $15/30 a year?

M

Mr Ed in Mass

As far as i can tell,no,I'm not dead,but what do I know.I'm not some multi-billion dollar company,I'm just..............ME!

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Try SKYPE.

Unfortunately, SKYPE doesn't pass the 70-year-old mom test. I'd never get her to boot up a computer to make a phone call.

And...I'd like to try VOIP but what holds me back is, don't you have to have your telephone right next to your router? No more plugging them into convenient jacks all over the house?

If you own your home, you can use the "jacks all over the house" if you don't mind doing some very basic (and easily reversible) work at your network access box outside the house. If you rent, check with the landlord first.

How basic the work is depends on the age of the house; my mom's house was built in the late 1960's, so the network access box doesn't have the newer modular connections. Even so, the only tools I needed were a pair of pliers and some electrical tape.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Unfortunately, SKYPE doesn't pass the 70-year-old mom test. I'd never get her to boot up a computer to make a phone call.

It's not necessary to even have a PC to use Skype. At least not in the UK all you need is an internet connection or a compliant cellular carrier. I suspect the latter is unlikely in the US right now?

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

Were you seriously giving someone else shit about being behind the times?

Hello? 1984 calling for you...they wanna tell you about their newfangled contraption called a cordless phone. Base station plugs into the router, handsets go anywhere.

:biggrin1:

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I wanted to follow up to this post --

Still dissatisfied with the customer service from Vonage. I bought my mom a year of Sunrocket service for her anniversary, with the ulterior motive of using her as a "guinea pig" to try out their network.

Another followup: After an entirely satisfactory month, Sunrocket went belly-up this week, making this the most expensive month of phone service I've ever bought. *sigh*