voluntary extinction

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well I choose early to not have children because I would not risk putting my children through what I went through growing up. I would have probably been one of those dads that killed his whole family then put the gun to his own head. You never know, the way people are messing around with gene splicing and shit they might make a virus or microbe that causes sterility in humans and man as a race could easily become a thing of the past. That and nuclear anilation!

I would have kids.

Thought about this before - I know there are problems with the world, and people often have a terrible time growing up, but I don't think there's any point giving in.

There are lots of good things too - like friends, great scenery (getting less, I admit) and things to make people's live worthwhile. If I do get the opportunity to have kids (if I think I can support them financially, and I'm in a stable relationship) - then I would have them, cos you can still give them lots of love, and try and make sure that they're the ones who do actually have a happy upbringing. :)

PS: Deno - added you to my mental list of greatest people of all time - having read your post on that thread ;P

Steve26

1st LPSG Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
another possibility? people have a nasty illness or substance abuse addiction-prone gene they don't want to pass on to their kids.

This is the case with my wife. She has a terrible family history of diabetes, heart disease, cancer, etc. She is diabetic herself, which complicates pregnancy a great deal. If we ever have kids it will almost certainly be through a surrogate mother or adoption.

I'm not sure anyone but the fringiest people choose not to have kids due to a belief in "voluntary extinction." For most it is either that they don't like kids, don't think they'd be good parents, or are unwilling to accept the lifestyle changes associated with having children.

Steve

D_Amyntas Lillydong

Account Disabled
Media
Well I choose early to not have children because I would not risk putting my children through what I went through growing up. I would have probably been one of those dads that killed his whole family then put the gun to his own head.

i was talking to a coworker about this subject based on what she was telling me about her childhood. her mother didn't want kids so she was not wanted. plus her mother had told her that she was lucky to be alive based on how she took care of her. so because of her upbringing she had chosen not to have children. she is 47 now.

Last edited:

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
this is pretty stupid. this is why i believe in natural selction party. people who believe this shouldnt live. its so stupid. if you give up on having kids for this fact why live at all? why not just kill yourself. i know this seems harsh but if your not going to contribute to society and help fix the problems the earth faces then....im trying to think of a nice whay to puit what im going to say.....i assume you can guess it.

p.s i take back saying they shouldnt live

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
i have a female friend who has a family history of mental illness. she had her husband get a vasectomy because she didn't want children. they're divorced now.

She should have had her own tubes tied if she wanted to stop HERSELF from reproducing.

On another note...
The people opting to not reproduce because the world is in trouble are the very people who are CAPABLE OF REALIZING THE WORLD IS IN TROUBLE.

Rather than raise children who have this understanding and concern, they opt to abandon ship and fuck everyone else. Leaving the world to those who propagate without any thought to the consequences...

Sorry... it's a fucking selfish asshole response.

You OWE it to your society to produce the next generation of MORE enlightened people who will be able to address the world's problems.

If you really give a damn about the world, then step up and do your part raise a generation that cares even more.

Otherwise... shut the fuck up about how your are 'helping'... the real reason is you just don't want kids to cramp your fun.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The world has always been in trouble if you take the time to look. People make the decision to reproduce for their own reasons because they have the courage or the means....For your question there are those who want to make excuses for their decisions by be playing the victim card. If you want to have children and have the means whether it's emotional or finances then go for it. But don't blame the world, the other people who are stepping up to the plate have worked out their issues unless they are playing the welfare card.The Welfare and the victim card are equal to me.Because I view both as losers unless you can convince me otherwise.

Last edited:

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
this is pretty stupid. this is why i believe in natural selction party. people who believe this shouldnt live. its so stupid. if you give up on having kids for this fact why live at all? why not just kill yourself. i know this seems harsh but if your not going to contribute to society and help fix the problems the earth faces then....im trying to think of a nice whay to puit what im going to say.....i assume you can guess it.

p.s i take back saying they shouldnt live
Because if your sole purpose is to reproduce, you're saving the planet? Am I right, or being sarcastic?

Personally, I don't want to have kids, because I don't want to have kids, simple as, but saving humanity from the forces of evil itself is far easier!

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've wondered if the human race will die out like this rather than from some catastrophe.

If each person only averaged making 0.9 new humans in their lifetime. So each generation had 9/10 the population of the previous one and each generation was 33 years, then the population would go down to 1/2 the size every 200 years. That would be 1/1000 the size after 2000 years, so we'd be down to only 6 million people. It's interesting that only a small negative growth rate would wipe us out in a relatively short time period.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
...they opt to abandon ship and fuck everyone else. Leaving the world to those who propagate without any thought to the consequences...

I've always thought similarly of Americans who threatened to renounce their citizenship and immigrate elsewhere if Bush were to be re-elected in 2004. Some actually followed through on their threat.

I say: stay home and help fix the problem rather than run away.

The people opting to not reproduce because the world is in trouble are the very people who are CAPABLE OF REALIZING THE WORLD IS IN TROUBLE.

Rather than raise children who have this understanding and concern, they opt to abandon ship... QUOTE]

I agree it's a good idea to help solve the problem. If you're aware of these things and have the opportunity to have kids - then raise children with understanding and an ability to help.

I understand though, that some people don't want to raise children because of horrific experiences in their own childhood. Sometimes it's too traumatic to even think of it being repeated.

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
i agree people may not want kids inlight of their own childhood but that isnt what this thread is on about. its about people who would rather humans all die (eventually) then bring up kids in a world where it may happen. i could see the sense if we were in a new ice age for example but we still have (very limited) time to save the world right now so its stupid to be acting like this now

D_Amyntas Lillydong

Account Disabled
Media
i agree people may not want kids inlight of their own childhood but that isnt what this thread is on about. its about people who would rather humans all die (eventually) then bring up kids in a world where it may happen. i could see the sense if we were in a new ice age for example but we still have (very limited) time to save the world right now so its stupid to be acting like this now

being the OP this thread is about extinguishing your own genes due to the fact that you do not want your children to go through the same personal difficulties you may have. it may be selfish, but it is a decision some of us come to. as some do want to breed and have children. i was surprised to find some people at work have the non-breeding attitude.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
What makes you think your children would go thru the same difficulties you did?

What the hell is so wrong with you that, understanding that about your own childhood, you could not mitigate nor alter your own children's experience of life?

It seems to me YOU managed to survive it.
What, your life has no value to you? You do not cherish being alive?

You would deny existence to others? Deny their opportunity to try and survive it?
To perhaps find value in life despite the fact that it isn't always easy?

Sorry. I think that's bullshit.

The people I know who realize they had shitty childhoods are the ones who are making damn sure their own children don't have shitty childhoods.

I never met anyone who opted to not have kids who was doing it for any other than pure selfishness... Not wanting to share their lives, their incomes, their mates... not wanting to have to think about anyone else's needs, not wanting to have to do without, or pay for someone else's education, clothing, or toys...

And I am fine with that... if you're that selfish please DON'T have kids, you would be a shitty parent.

But don't even try to tell me you're avoiding having children for the 'benefit' of the kids you don't produce... don't give me this bullshit line about how you are saving imaginary offspring from the difficulties they might have to endure... "potential" children have no feelings to protect.

You aren't doing ANYONE a favor because there isn't anyone else involved.

I could argue as intelligently that everytime you jerk off you are committing a holocaust of "potential" children.