Voluptuous Is An Insult?

RoyalT

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When did this happen? I got a text from a very good female friend asking me to describe her in one word (a chain letter-type text).

So I said 'voluptuous' which means having sexy curves and a large, attractive bust. Being pleasurable to look at.

Did I pick a bad word or is she just being a typical girl and thinking it means fat (which it doesn't!)

Thanks.

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
When did this happen? I got a text from a very good female friend asking me to describe her in one word (a chain letter-type text).

So I said 'voluptuous' which means having sexy curves and a large, attractive bust. Being pleasurable to look at.

Did I pick a bad word or is she just being a typical girl and thinking it means fat (which it doesn't!)

Thanks.

Mature people can take Voluptuous as a compliment, others find the word as a polite way of saying fat.

RoyalT

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks dreamer she is...but do most people think voluptuous means fat!? I didn't know that...its so hard to please some people. Anything I say to her is always thrown back in my face :mad:

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
Thanks dreamer she is...but do most people think voluptuous means fat!? I didn't know that...its so hard to please some people. Anything I say to her is always thrown back in my face :mad:

Oh dude, you told the bulimic Friend that she looked voluptuous??

Bad bad choice. You never tell them anything in regards to their size. One word that could have described her:

Fun-loving
Beautiful
Caring
Compassionate
Funny
Witty
Sassy

SomeGuyOverThere

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Interesting, seems that opinions differ on this one.

My definition would be somebody who has a lot of volume (i.e. is, for lack of a better word, quite fat), yet has curves in the right places and is still pleaseing to look at.

My dictionary (an old edition of the Pocket Oxford) basically says that it means "pleaseing to look at and fulfilling to the senses".

i.e.: sexy.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh dude, you told the bulimic Friend that she looked voluptuous??

Bad bad choice. You never tell them anything in regards to their size. One word that could have described her:

Fun-loving
Beautiful
Caring
Compassionate
Funny
Witty
Sassy

Agreed.

If the woman doesn't specify for a physical description you'll always earn more points for acknowledging her personality.

Radiant is a good one too.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
...I didn't know that...its so hard to please some people. Anything I say to her is always thrown back in my face :mad:

With bulimia she will be hard to please. You would have to see if she will be happy with the words willowy or winsome bearing her weight obsession in mind.

RoyalT

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah! I wanted to use a rare word for her. I call her beautiful etc all the time and felt like being different. What a mistake that was. I'll just shut up about it now, I would direct her to Dictionary.com but that would probably enrage her even more.

cklover

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
OMG...what a bizarre thread! voluptuous is a word men(educated, articulate pussy-loving men) use to describe curvaceous women.)..it is NEVER an insult.Fuck man, you str8 guys have to deal with alot of bullshit pc...

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
OMG...what a bizarre thread! voluptuous is a word men(educated, articulate pussy-loving men) use to describe curvaceous women.)..it is NEVER an insult.Fuck man, you str8 guys have to deal with alot of bullshit pc...

What's bizarre about people with body-image issues reacting badly to a comment relating to the roundness of their body?

As someone who spent much of his teens (and beyond) battling similar issues and having experienced every waist size between 24" and 38" in my adult life, I'd likewise have a fucking fit if someone suggested I was in some way 'rounded' as well.

This is less a gender issue in this case imho than one which relates to people with, or who have experienced, eating disorders. We are hyper-fucking-sensitive about body-image, as we've spent so much of our lives dissatisfied with our appearance or feeling rotund - so even the faintest hint of those characteristics being attributed to us is likely to engender a major-league fit and/or intensely depressive moment.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
Yeah, words like "voluptuous", "curvy", and even "hourglass figure", seem to all have become euphamisms for "overweight".

If anyone can suggest a word I can use to physically describe a woman who is NOT overweight, but actually has breasts and hips, I'd be most grateful.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I would direct her to Dictionary.com but that would probably enrage her even more.

You got that right - you're a fast learner. Tell her you love her for her mind (though I don't know how you'd say that in one word). For some reason they love that, and will believe you no matter how goofy it sounds or how obviously false it may be in a particular case.

I do not generally advocate lying to women on a routine basis but it sounds like this is an emergency.

RoyalT

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'll text her tomorrow saying 'I love your glow, I don't know if its the fake tan or what' or something to that effect and try to redeem myself. I was NOT going to text her all day or wait for her to contact me but I guess I should cheer her up if I've [accidentally] upset her.

*Tears out the Vo- page from the dictionary*

voluptuous - Synonyms from Thesaurus.com

Erotic could have been a better word but I didn't want her to be thinking I only like her sexual side.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have to say getting called "thick" or "voluptuous" can be really annoying at times coming from men that think anything over 100 pounds on a woman is fat. Through college I was about 130-140 pounds or so and I got those words thrown at me as really meaning "too fat." I'm about 5'9" to be honest I have the shoulders of a linebacker. I will never, ever, ever look like a supermodel. My body isn't made that way. So many times I've heard those words used as insults.

However, I wish there was a word that described a woman that is larger than average but sexy that isn't a euphemism for "fat." It seems like our culture (US) is more and more intolerant of any body type on a woman that is anything but incredibly thin. Therefore, words like voluptuous have gotten bad connotations. This is unfortunate since beautiful women come in all shapes and sizes.

At this point, if someone calls me voluptuous, I take it as a compliment-- but only because it's better than "that fat lady." My weight has been a mess in the last few years because of some health problems and just general life insanity. I really appreciate it when someone even tries to look beyond the fact that I'm not a size 0 (or even a size 10) and see something other than fat.

I have to echo the other folks that said not to call someone with an eating disorder anything size related. Anything you say will just feed into the eating disorder. A lot of times when someone asks those questions, they are looking for an answer to justify their behavior, and at that point, any answer can justify it. If you say "voluptuous," it means they need to continue their destructive behavior because they are awful and fat, and if you say "thin" it means they can continue their behavior because it's working.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah, words like "voluptuous", "curvy", and even "hourglass figure", seem to all have become euphamisms for "overweight".

If anyone can suggest a word I can use to physically describe a woman who is NOT overweight, but actually has breasts and hips, I'd be most grateful.

Minute timer?