Voluptuous Is An Insult?

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
'I love your glow, I don't know if its the fake tan or what' or something to that effect and try to redeem myself.

"Glow" is pretty good. I've never tried that. I've used "aura" with some success ("success" meaning that I didn't get whacked up side the head), though that was in special circumstances. "Fake tan" might be risky, though.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'll text her tomorrow saying 'I love your glow, I don't know if its the fake tan or what' or something to that effect and try to redeem myself.

Do you want her to throw something at you? If you're giving her a compliment I'd suggest you avoid using the word "fake" regardless of context. Really. Radiant meets the single word criteria.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah! I wanted to use a rare word for her. I call her beautiful etc all the time and felt like being different. What a mistake that was. I'll just shut up about it now, I would direct her to Dictionary.com but that would probably enrage her even more.
RoyalT,
If this the same girl who has ED, then, yes, you picked the wrong word. Complimenting a girl with ED on her appearance is close to impossible to do effectively. It will always backfire. If you say she is thin, she will think you are lecturing her. If you say she is not thin, she will work harder on getting thin (and dangerously so). Naturally, what I am saying is a generalization, but it is generally true.

The best compliments to give a girl with ED are things that are unrelated to her appearance. For example, tell her she is smart, clever, interesting, thoughtful, sensitive, or however you see her in that light. Stay away from the appearance thing.

It sounds like you were doing ok with beautiful, but even that can backfire at times.

Don't forget that someone with ED is already not thinking straight about the way he/she looks. So if you really want to be a good friend, roll with the punches. She will react irrationaly on the subject of her appearance. You have to accept that.

It's like niggardly.

Uneducated people hear it and they think the worst. Nothing more revolting than an ignorant offended by their own ignorance and blaming someone else for it. Tell her to go back to school and buy a dictionary. Do NOT apologize. You have nothing to be sorry for. She does.

drumstyck

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
when i hear "voluptuous" or "curvy", i think of someone like Toccara Jones, [SIZE=-1]Justina Machado, or Mia Tyler.

i dont get when people call Kate Winslet or Scarlett Johannsen "voluptuous" tho...those two arent twigs like Calista Flockhart or something...they're excellent examples of femininity, i think...curves are attractive, i like to feel a soft body, not a skeleton.

i think part of the problem also comes up when people 'advertise' themselves as voluptuous when they're really just fat...if my friend was setting me up on a blind date and they described the girl as "voluptuous", i'd be taking a chance...i could either end up with a girl with big tits & a big ass, which is nice...or i could end up with a girl with no real shape other than round (sorry if i offend anyone who likes round girls, or any round girls themselves; im just not into you that you)...the problem also arises if a girl with weight issues sees a 400lb woman billing herself as "curvy" or "full-figured"...if you try to call a 150lb girl "curvy", she might just associate it with that, and have problems with it
[/SIZE]

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In modern day vernacular voluptuous has come to mean fat. Especially in the world of online profiles and dating. So yes,
I see why she was upset.

When did this happen? I got a text from a very good female friend asking me to describe her in one word (a chain letter-type text).

So I said 'voluptuous' which means having sexy curves and a large, attractive bust. Being pleasurable to look at.

Did I pick a bad word or is she just being a typical girl and thinking it means fat (which it doesn't!)

Thanks.

ToolMan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
when i hear "voluptuous" or "curvy", i think of someone like Toccara Jones, Justina Machado, or Mia Tyler.

i dont get when people call Kate Winslet or Scarlett Johannsen "voluptuous" tho...those two arent twigs like Calista Flockhart or something...they're excellent examples of femininity, i think...curves are attractive, i like to feel a soft body, not a skeleton.

I must say that I think that Kate Winslet and Scarlett Johannsen are indeed the embodiment of "Voluptuous". Give me a girl
with some meat on her bones.

In fact if I could order one up, she'd be like this:

5" 9" Tall, 155 lbs., Shortish Sandy Blond Hair (w/streaks), Long Neck, Hour Glass Figure (lots of curves), Large, (not giant) Firm Breasts,
The Kind Of Ass You Can Grab Ahold Of, A Pussy That's Gently Sloped, Seductive Green Eyes, and Looks Great In Low Rise Jeans.

She'd be very flexible for the purposes of Kamasutra like positions. She would have a dining room table fetish, and would be a bit
of an exhibitionist.

She would love Sex in all orifices & positions, and really like to suck my cock, Quite Well!

She would be well educated and come with a great deal of knowledge & wisdom. Not to mention an extremely high I.Q. and a tremendous
vocabulary. She'd know everything about everything, AND She'd love NASCAR;. well, maybe not. Nothing's perfect.

I would name her "Chrysalis" and post pictures of her on this website. Then you all could see what my definition of "Voluptuous" is.

Oh;. uh;. wait a minute;. I already did that. I hate it when I forget stuff !

Well, if you don't already know her, there's a link (About Chysalis) on the bottom of this post.

BTW, I say the word "Voluptuous" to Chrys all of the time. I use it as an affectionate term, she likes it. There is a sensual connotation to it.
I must abmit that I did use the "I love you for your mind" line the other day. I was totally coppin' a feel, and she bought it anyway, well it's actually true, but I think you can see my point.

So go on lad, tell her "Voluptuous" equates to"Sensuality". Cop a feel and proudly proclaim, "I love you for your mind"!

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
[SIZE=-1]i dont get when people call Kate Winslet or Scarlett Johannsen "voluptuous" tho...they're excellent examples of femininity, i think...curves are attractive, i like to feel a soft body, not a skeleton.
[/SIZE]

I couldn't agree more with your choice of examples...but I have no problem using the term voluptuous to describe them. IMO, it's perfectly suited, as that physical appearance (Kate moreso than Scarlett) matches my mental image of the word. And I completely agree with Meg...voluptuous to me is imbued with the idea of sex appeal.

RoyalT

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well thanks people. We're talking again now which is something :biggrin1:

With regards to the fake tan comment: I have to put a joke in there otherwise she wonders why I'm complimenting her, and she does the same to me :tongue:

Sometimes I do compliment her loads though and its all taken very well. But at that moment in time, a blatant compliment would seem like begging or something :cool:

So thanks, all is quite well now.

Wrat

Expert Member
Media
As mentioned above, in the middle, between the eas
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I love being called voluptuous. I think maybe your friend just has issues.

I would think it a great pleasure to just sit and have coffee with you. Interacting with you is such a pleasure.

and yes, of course...voluptuous. Yes. or maybe a bit sweeter.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think the best way to avoid insulting a woman is by either telling her she's pretty, lovely, gorgeous or something that describes her as a whole to you...or focusing on something specific about her face or body. I know "voluptuous" would seem specific since you're describing her curves, but as most here have already noted, that's a nice way of telling someone she's overweight (damn shame). You're better off telling her she has (insert adjective of your choice) _______ curves or complimenting her on her eyes, hair, lips (maybe breasts or ass when appropriate)...something that stands out and you find very attractive.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think "voluptuous" lost its positive connotation around the time Twiggy was a popular model. I have never associated it with "fat", just curvy. But in the late 1960s, emaciated, flat-chested, bony women came into vogue.

Personally, I would like to see a return to curvy as sexy. Not obese, just not the "150 cm, 41 Kg" women. I think the skeletor look is repulsive.

karmen

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't see voluptuous as an insult. I also think that the word curvy isn't an insult either. If you are, you are--don't take it hard.

In my photos on this site and elsewhere, I would described myself as curvy. Actually, I think I would need larger hips to be voluptuous but hey you can't have everything.

I think an hourglass figure is soooo sexy. Large breasts, small waist and Large hips. Damn what's not to like about that type of womanly figure.

Hugs and Kisses,

Karmen

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
When did this happen? I got a text from a very good female friend asking me to describe her in one word (a chain letter-type text).

So I said 'voluptuous' which means having sexy curves and a large, attractive bust. Being pleasurable to look at.

Did I pick a bad word or is she just being a typical girl and thinking it means fat (which it doesn't!)

Thanks.

Yep..to me voluptous is curvaceous and 'large' body parts does not need to be the breasts but the booty, hips etc...lol..depends of cultural differences..

I dont mind at all voluptous to me is like a Madonna nowdays figure that is appetizing to a particular craving as sxy yummy..mmmm...I feel that I have delicious food in me to feed voluptuous...mmm its very sexy all of that to me.

But I'm me dont know about the next woman feelings though...but a clue maybe you observe how she carries herself with sensual vibes and moves and etc if she is not that confident with herself she might dont receive voluptous compliment well...:confused:

D_76froy

Sexy Member
Media
I think while voluptuous is possibly over-used in describing curvaceous or slightly overweight women, it shouldn't necessarily be construed as an insult.

However, I agree with Mercurialbliss that it's usually better to say something complimentary of the whole person. If you want to specify a particular attribute, such as her breasts then be specific and tell her they're lovely or gorgeous.

Just my experience that this works better.

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
For me, even thinner women can be voluptuous. It just means the relative perspective of various parts of the body that are associated with femininity.

I do agree with Jeff though that the OP was ill-advised to use this word with someone who has bulimia.

Every time they survey men and women about attractive female shapes, men always pick two sizes more curvaceous than women do. It's barmy.

karmen

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think the best way to avoid insulting a woman is by either telling her she's pretty, lovely, gorgeous or something that describes her as a whole to you...or focusing on something specific about her face or body. I know "voluptuous" would seem specific since you're describing her curves, but as most here have already noted, that's a nice way of telling someone she's overweight (damn shame). You're better off telling her she has (insert adjective of your choice) _______ curves or complimenting her on her eyes, hair, lips (maybe breasts or ass when appropriate)...something that stands out and you find very attractive.

A general compliment is definately a great way to go. I have a friend who has had a crush on me for a couple of years. Whenever he gets a few too many Cape Cods (cranberry juice and vodka) in him, he starts telling me how "absolutely stunning" he's always found me. It's a little over the top but I must admit that I lap it up like cream :biggrin1: . Meow. Purrr.

Hugs and Kisses,

Karmen

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I love being called voluptuous and I think of it as a great compliment! I'm pretty girlie, and I enjoy looking like a woman. I think God intended for us to be soft and curvy. Marilyn Monroe and Sophia Loren were classic voluptuous women, and I think they are on the top of the list as far as being some of the most beautiful women to ever have walked the earth, so I consider myself in good company.