Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
In case the Poll Option won't work for me:

Iron Man/Black Sabbath w/Ozzy
Highway to Hell/AC/DC
Master of Puppets/Metallica
Welcome to the Jungle/GNR

Okay. I know I have left out everyone from MegaDeath, Danzig, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motorhead and all the rest. I chose my songs based upon the thread topic and think I did pretty good...didn't I?

Please feel free to rant and rave if I missed your favorite.

_avg_

Sexy Member
Media
Are those really "metal"? AC/DC and Sabbath are almost certainly 'classic rock,' their roles as pioneers of 'metal' notwithstanding. GNR is really 'hard rock.' Metallica is the only genuinely 'metal' band on the list and so would win by default, though my vote goes to Sabbath.

That said, I like your taste in music!! :D

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ooooh, good question!
I will have to ponder for a bit, but will try to return with a song in a few days.
AC/DC, Priest, Slayer, and Motorhead are not on my list.

Maybe I'll go with something by MF or King Diamond, but most likely Metallica. Or Queensryche.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
meh...

not enough choices for me to choose "the best ever"

i would have preferred "Paranoid" by Sabbath.

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
AC/DC metal? Hah!

Please don't get me started about how many subgenres you're leaving out of this list, how those being the only four choices are painfully restrictive, and that getting anything near a consensus from a community with tastes as varied as the heavy metal community's is simply futile. Here's a short list of bands that you excluded that are entirely worthy of inclusion in your list: Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Dio, Slayer, Dream Theater, and Death, to name few. And this is without plunging into the myriad of subgenres ignored here (such as black metal, death metal, folk metal, doom metal, stoner metal, sludge metal, progressive metal, thrash metal, speed metal, power metal, and many more than people would be inclined to believe exist).

That being said, my current favorite metal song (not necessarily the best) is Rudra's "Hymns from the Blazing Chariot" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4GClORf6FU

Last edited:

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Are those really "metal"? AC/DC and Sabbath are almost certainly 'classic rock,' their roles as pioneers of 'metal' notwithstanding. GNR is really 'hard rock.' Metallica is the only genuinely 'metal' band on the list and so would win by default, though my vote goes to Sabbath.

That said, I like your taste in music!! :D

I agree with _avg_ - Metallica is the only heavy metal band in the poll so should win by default. Metallica also happen to be my favourite metal band, but I would have voted for Welcome Home (Sanitarium) and/or Seek & Destroy just because those are my favourite tracks of theirs. Though MoP is also one of their best.

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I agree with _avg_ - Metallica is the only heavy metal band in the poll so should win by default. Metallica also happen to be my favourite metal band, but I would have voted for Welcome Home (Sanitarium) and/or Seek & Destroy just because those are my favourite tracks of theirs. Though MoP is also one of their best.

Are you saying you Don't consider Sabbath to be metal? Their first two albums were able to simultaneously define the genre while still being within it. Songs like "Black Sabbath," "N.I.B.," "Iron Man," "War Pigs/Luke's Wall," and "Electric Funeral" are some of the earliest examples of true (not tr00, for those black metal fans out there) metal, as opposed to the more common proto-metal of Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple. Admittedly after their first few albums, they became considerably less metal, but thanks to Black Sabbath and Paranoid, their spot within the pantheon of metal had been assured.

Other early bands that were actually metal included Sir Lord Baltimore, Budgie, and Pentagram.

B_curiousme01

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Oh my! I knew this would happen! Black Sabbath and AC/DC are not HM but Classic Rock? What?? To me Classic Rock is... Boston (I like them also). And I also knew excluding Motorhead was going to get me a few lashes. Love Dio and could have used anything by him, but didn't.
I'm surprised that Iron Madien fans have not crashed the poll! I just chose the songs that to ME represent HM best. I do think GNR "WTTJ" is a huge metal song. I left out all the groundbreakers in rock - Zepplin, Stones, Beatles, Pink Flotd, etc. Because they are not heavy metal nor do any need a poll for anything. I excluded Blackie Lawless, although I did think about him for second. I also left out all the trash stuff...Metal Blade type bands. Slayer is great, but so far from best ever to me.

My neck hurts now! Thanks for reading and replying to my post, if only to tell me who I forgot or how stupid you think my choices are :). ....."I am Iron Man"

B_curiousme01

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Queensryche, for the Lady, of course :)I love this band. One of the best vocalists on record, so to speak.
Ooooh, good question!
I will have to ponder for a bit, but will try to return with a song in a few days.
AC/DC, Priest, Slayer, and Motorhead are not on my list.

Maybe I'll go with something by MF or King Diamond, but most likely Metallica. Or Queensryche.

_avg_

Sexy Member
Media
It's practically a sacrilege that we've gotten two pages into this and no one has yet to mention Pantera -- ferchrissakes, we've got WASP but not Pantera?! What some of you kids call 'heavy metal'....

It's like Zeuhl said, there are so many 'subgenres' that these kinds of lists will divide people, breaking out into 'heavier than thou' fights [eg. my ripping on GNR]. That's not to say it's not interesting and fun to see what people like.

FWIW, my current favorite 'metal' bands are Meshuggah, Every Time I Die, Crowbar, Cavalera Conspiracy, Dillinger Escape Plan and Meshuggah (worthy of mentioning twice!).

KTF40

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Are you saying you Don't consider Sabbath to be metal? Their first two albums were able to simultaneously define the genre while still being within it. Songs like "Black Sabbath," "N.I.B.," "Iron Man," "War Pigs/Luke's Wall," and "Electric Funeral" are some of the earliest examples of true (not tr00, for those black metal fans out there) metal, as opposed to the more common proto-metal of Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple. Admittedly after their first few albums, they became considerably less metal, but thanks to Black Sabbath and Paranoid, their spot within the pantheon of metal had been assured.

I don't really consider them metal. They aren't heavy at all and share more more in common with blues rock than metal as it has been known for the last 25 years.

I voted Master of Puppets.