Votes: 14 42.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Qua

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Why does it bother you? People like what they like. Who cares?

Because it's an indication that they haven't ventured far past what MTV's given them, which is really really watered down. Granted, if they really like that then I can't stop them or force them to explore the metal artists who have something really artistic to say.

As a fun side story, some friends and I were in a metal bar in Amsterdam. We have a running joke going on regarding Papa Roach's last resort, so we drew lots on who would have to go ask the bartender to put it on. My friend loses, goes to the bartender, who promptly kicked us all out for disrespecting his establishment.

Media
Looking at the percentages of the posters, I'm starting to think that gay people don't care much for heavy metal.

If so, why would this be?

I have an extensive metal collection that includes: Metallica, Evanescence,Nickleback,Led Zeppelin and a few other more progressive metal bands like Tiger Army, Alkaline Trio. The only metal I truly cannot abide is Speed Metal, it irritates me.

For the most part, it is rare for gay folks to have a taste for metal but not completely unheard of.

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have an extensive metal collection that includes: Metallica, Evanescence,Nickleback,Led Zeppelin and a few other more progressive metal bands like Tiger Army, Alkaline Trio. The only metal I truly cannot abide is Speed Metal, it irritates me.

For the most part, it is rare for gay folks to have a taste for metal but not completely unheard of.

Did you just call Nickelback metal? WTF? They are an absolute affront to music as an art form! (Not to mention that stylistically, they're more in line with "alternative" rock.)

_avg_

Sexy Member
Media
For me it would have to Black Sabbath with Ozzy. C.B. mentions Deep Purple. They were also very good. And by the way Bowie beat them all to heavy metal in 1969 with his album The Man who Sold Worldhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiIa6URAxqY
I've seen historians point to Helter Skelter as the first true 'heavy metal' song, predating Sabbath (and Bowie) by a few months [begin recorded in Nov. 1968].

_avg_

Sexy Member
Media
I was just gonna ask the same question. To me Black Sabbath define metal. All hail to Lord Iommi!
Eh, hard to say. Put Sabbath and (say) Metallica next to eachother; then put Metallica and Pantera next to eachother. You'd be hard-pressed, I think, to say that the first pairing belongs to the same genre just as easily as the second pairing. IOW, Sabbath stands out against what is otherwise instantly recognized as 'metal'. They really occupy their own 'place;' like the Beatles.

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've seen historians point to Helter Skelter as the first true 'heavy metal' song, predating Sabbath (and Bowie) by a few months [begin recorded in Nov. 1968].

I personally place The Kinks' "You Really Got Me" (1964) as the song that started the trend toward heavy metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1izecS-WDyQ

And my choice for first song that can be considered metal goes to Jeff Beck's "Beck's Bolero" (recorded 1966, released 1967): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vuj5toLeyY8

Eh, hard to say. Put Sabbath and (say) Metallica next to eachother; then put Metallica and Pantera next to eachother. You'd be hard-pressed, I think, to say that the first pairing belongs to the same genre just as easily as the second pairing. IOW, Sabbath stands out against what is otherwise instantly recognized as 'metal'. They really occupy their own 'place;' like the Beatles.

Well, metal is a staggeringly diverse genre, and you're comparing doom/proto-doom to thrash metal. Compare Black Sabbath's eponymous song to some modern doom metal, and methinks you'll see a stronger resemblance.

When you compare three bands from two very different genres under the same broad umbrella, of course the one that is dissimilar from the other two will stand out. For example, take Porcupine Tree, Genesis, and Yes. All three are under the greater umbrella of progressive rock, but Yes and Genesis tend to be very different stylistically. Similarly, Sgt Pepper-era Beatles, early Pink Floyd, and Iron Butterfly are all considered psychedelic bands. However, Iron Butterfly's brand of psychedelia was much different (heavier) than the other two bands' style.

Qua

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, metal is a staggeringly diverse genre, and you're comparing doom/proto-doom to thrash metal. Compare Black Sabbath's eponymous song to some modern doom metal, and methinks you'll see a stronger resemblance.

Yeah, compare Sabbath to a band like Sleep and a thrash band will look out of place. But at the same time take something like the outtros to various Sabbath songs like Iron Main or Heaven and Hell (late I know) and you hear a prototypical high-tempo speed/ New Wave of British Heavy Metal sound (tell me the bassline of the Iron Man outtro doesn't remind you of Maiden). There is absolutely no reason why Black Sabbath shouldn't be considered at least a progenitor or perhaps one of the first "true" heavy metal acts.

The way I look at it is you have three methods to heaviness as far as beat pushing is concerned:

1. There's the dragging style of doom which sort of pulls you down with its slow tempo and behind the beat lagging

2. There's the static thunder of bands like Meshuggah which are metronome perfect and kick you right in the chest,

3. And then the ahead-of-the-beat, driving speed of thrash which makes your heart race.

No band which employs one method will feel remotely similar to one which employs another. Even Meshuggah's early music, featuring thrash orchestration feel decidedly different from a Metalica/slayer style band. At the same time their later mid tempo and slow music doesn't drag you the way a doom band will. No matter the tempo or orchestration, Meshuggah always feels like a piledriving machine.

As a comparison. I pretty much consider Meshuggah the standard as far as straight tempo heaviness is concerned

Slayer vs. Thrashy Meshuggah. Note the total tightness of Meshuggah, vs the loose chaotic thrash of Slayer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6_zsJ8KPP0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOd-T58qHLA

Sleep vs Downtempo Meshuggah. This is a less valid comparison musically, just note the tempo feels (and the sabbath influence)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lklU89L8sXs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lklU89L8sXs&feature=related

The way metal bands approach the beat is integral to their sound, and they are three very very different kinds of heaviness. None is less valid than another.

Last edited:

polesmoker

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Looking at the percentages of the posters, I'm starting to think that gay people don't care much for heavy metal.

If so, why would this be?

To whoever said Nickleback, they are not metal, they are contemporary light rock. When I worked at a metal bar, they were one of the bands you could skip on the jukebox once played by patrons, usually to great applause..

As for the gays, we only had two lesbians and one mostly closeted gay guy as regulars.

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes! I love The Kinks!!!! Girls LOVE this type of song...chick music :). BTW, I was wondering if you liked Jethro Tull? All time fav for me. 'Thick as a Brick" or "Aqualung" are brilliant! :)

I'm a huge Jethro Tull fan. I have their entire studio discography. I'm very fond of (most of) their stuff from 1968-1980.

And while on the topic of Jethro Tull, I'd like to say to all Metallica fans that Metallica deserved that Grammy; they got gypped.