Votes Bought Here

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by ponybilt, Aug 14, 2004.

1. ponybilt

ponybilt Member

Albums:
    LOL Well you'd think that with the trouble going on in eastern Europe and SE Asia, dubya would want to keep troops there, poised for the attack. But I guess he sees their votes as more valuable this year.... I wonder why?

Bush Cuts Forces in Europe and Asia

Does no one see through this?

2. KinkGuy

Gold Member

He needs to be able to keep sending targets (US Soldiers) into Iraq. They're running low on cannon fodder. :angry:

3. BobLeeSwagger

Gold Member

The article is fairly ambiguous, but in fact these redeployment plans have been in the works for years. A large percentage of those 100,000 troops are in Germany and Japan, two countries that no longer need the current American presence and are only there for Cold War reasons. What the article does NOT mention is that many of those troops will not be leaving those continents. Many of the troops in Germany will be transferred to other bases in eastern Europe, where the former Soviet satellites have rolled out the welcome mat to the Pentagon.

And there has long been a push to move troops out of Japan and Korea and put them in other bases in Asia. Think it's a coincidence that we've buddied up to dictatorships like Uzbekistan? There will probably be bases there too to maintain military forces close to Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan, India and China.

These kinds of moves have been a long time coming since the Cold War ended, but the military doesn't change its long-term plans on a dime. It took a major threat change like 9/11 to create momentum and to give those bases places to move to.

It's more Bush grandstanding about his military leadership. I know so many people who claim they'll vote for Bush because "he's so good to the military." What a load of bull. My brother is stationed in Germany and spent most of last year in Iraq. He won't be going back there again, but he has heard where he will probably go next. He can't tell me where it is, but it has him seriously thinking about not re-enlisting.

4. ponybilt

ponybilt Member

Albums:
    Yeah, it's the spin that I resent more than anything. I figured this had to have been planned for sometime, but to grandstand as you point out, is pandering to a non-stupid voter here.

As far as his treatment of military personnel, I read a couple days ago where the Bush admin actually cut tons of benefits for the families of enlisted people.

Hmmm... that's gotta be a kinder, gentler screwing if I ever saw one.

Draft saved Draft deleted