Waiting Tables is "gay"

jfrsndvs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I would like to add my 2¢ worth here.

was he wrong to say something to the customer? yes he was, and he does realize this after the fact. and yes he should have got his manager without saying anything.

did the punishment fit the crime? no, the manager should have given him a verbal or writen warning about his actions, and left it at that. now if had happened before and he was warned about it, then yes maybe a suspension would have been warrented, but from what I have read, it does seem like it was a one time incident.

I do believe that the customer was trying to get a free meal, I used to work as a shift supervisor at a pizza joint years ago, and it was amazing the stunts people would do just to try to get a free meal, well not too many got that free ride when I was there.

if this resturaunt is part of a franchise, he should talk to his district manager, and if that doesn't work, he should talk to the owner of the resturaunt. as far as bringing in people such as lawyers or groups like the ACLU goes, it would be a long and costly battle, and would cause more problems in the long run, I would recommend that on that week off from there that he take the time to find a different job.

as for waiting tables being a gay job, hell no, there are plenty of straight guys waiting tables, what I am trying to figure out though, is how did the customer know that Gabriel is gay? if he doesn't act gay, there was some sort of action or comment that lead that customer to that conclusion.

just my 2¢ worth.

B_IanTheTall

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Everything is gay. Everything is bi. Everything is straight.
Face it, sexuality and gender perception is fluid, sometimes highly viscous, other times not.

Regardless of sexuality, always remember that waiters/waitresses see your food while you aren't around.

Rendell

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I work in a Photo center and I also deal with customers constantly. I have no idea why people act so stoopid and do it in public where everyone can see. Couple of days ago a lady complained because her photos were at a different store. This store had called here a few days ago and said the photos were in. So she asks them to send them to my store. She was basically complaining before i even looked to see if they were in. I did not have her pictures and she was going to call the lab where they were processed and let them know how sorry their service was etc etc. My thoughts are if I call you and tell you that your photos are here why not go get them. Even tho its 20 mins away. If the service had made the mistake they would make it up to her. The store will pay for her gas and she would get the pics for free. So I understnad how you felt. Some people don't stop to think about hwat is going on around them. There were other people around when this happened and they all had the look of What the heck was that all about? My advice is DO NOT GIVE AWAY YOUR POWER! when u give into the other persons behavior whatever that may be then yo uare giving them power over you. NEVER SURRENDER even when you know you cant win it's better to just blow it off and keep on keepin on. Take what you can from the situation, learn from it, grow from it and make yourself a better person. Un happy people will ALWAYS try to steal your power. I hope this helps and makes sense to you.
Hang in there tomorrow it wil lget better. :smile:

Gabriel

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
If I quote everyone I'd like to adderss, this post would go on for pages, so, I'll just write it all out.

As soon as he said he wanted the manager, I went back and got him, I didn't argue or anything, so I didn't say anything before the manager came out. The comment I made was after the manager had come out. I was made to stand by and watch it happen, as we are supposed to see the problem resolved. I think any former/current waiters will know what I'm talking about.

He kept accusing me of coming on to him, and his stupid desperate housewife wannabe, was just nodding and basically repeating what her husband said. The kid was just like "uhm...okay?" My manager was kind of speechless, so I stepped up and replied,

"Sir, I wasn't trying to come on to you, you're like twice my age."

Apparently, my mouth has been empty for too long....:rolleyes:

So, he got really pissed about that, and my manager was kind of confused, because he didn't know my sexuality either.

Anyway, I know I was a real smartass that day/night, I stepped out of line by even talking back. I'm really not sorry I'm suspended for a week, especially since it is our policy that we're to be suspended for inflammatory remarks made to customers, no matter the situation. I knew that. Anything else, and we would receive a write-up or a verbal warning.

But I'm glad to know I wasn't just overreacting by wondering if people are generally like that. I'd never argued with a customer like that before. I mean sure, my first few weeks I messed up on a bill, but I got it resolved, no hateful remarks.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
HotBulge said:
The man/father is probably trying to humiliate you to compensate for his own struggle with homosexuality. Clearly, you take pride in your work and wouldn't even flirt with a married customer in front of his family, no less, so this man is acting on his own psychodrama and hang-ups.

He probably found you attractive and was watching your moves around the table. I have a strong suspicion that straight men become more curious or "heteroflexible" as they age, starting at 40 or so, when a midlife crisis starts to kick in.

One other point to consider: most people know that or assume that you, as a young man, are waiting tables to bring income and that you have other aspirations in life. It goes with the territory of being young and fulfilling and entry level position. There's nothing 'gay' about being a waiter (even though I've never been one myself. In other countries, both in Europe and in Asia, it's often seen as a meore polished job because it requires some degree of sophistication. The thinking is as old as dividing labor between field workers and the domestic workers who are priviliged enough to be around the patron.

In any case .... if waiting tables is starting to bother you (and it's important to recognize that), make this your last summer of waiting tables adn then find an entry level position in your area of occupational interest. A service job - whether it's waiting tables or retail - is an experience that everyone should have at least once in life before moving on to better endeavors.

Excellent response. I applaud you

alien51

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
alien was in the restaurant business for about 25 years total i got as far as owning my own places.nothing big,just cafes.i cooked and my wife at the time waited tables. on the way to the easy life of self employment,i moved from being a thoroghly professional bartender to mgmt.(BIG MISTAKE)anyhow,i had to be trained in the kitchen,and waiting tables.i made a perfectly horrible waiter.i just could not bring mtself to put up with the shit people put out!i just found way to get back at them.i think there are some people out there that are so ignorant as to compare(in their own minds)waiting tables to being served by their own servant.you really have to understand that people will fuck with the waiter,but they won't fuck with the bartender.you're dealing with a different part of the brain.try bartending,the tips are better,alien