Wake up Wisconsin!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by joyboytoy79, Oct 20, 2010.

1. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    OK, i'm pissed off! No, actually, i'm LIVID. While a nitwit nobody in Delaware is hogging the national spotlight, a crucial Senate race in Wisconsin is being all but ignored. Senator Russ Feingold is trailing in the polls behind plastics millionaire Ron Johnson. This begs the question: WHAT GIVES?!??

In Russ, we find a man who has NEVER (no, not even once) backed down on a campaign promise. He says what he's going to do, and he does it. He is currently the lowest paid Senator, because he made a promise to accept no pay increases. To date, he has returned over $50,000 in pay raise money to the US treasury. He un-abashedly opposes his own party when the official party position differs from his own. He is always willing to speak with the public and clarify his position on any legislation or issue of merit.

In Ron, we find a millionaire who inherited his dad's business. He has dodged many questions about what exactly he stands for, and refuses to speak with the main-stream media. In his own adds, he says his strongest selling point is that he isn't a politician.

So, why does it seem that Wisconsin is willing to drop a man who has stood up for his ideals, who has fought tirelessly against government largess, who has been consistently honorable? Why are they willing to put their trust into a know-nothing with deep pockets who denies the pitfalls of Reganomics and thinks global warming is caused by sunspots? WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?!?!?!?

2. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    In Wisconsin we are not ignoring it. But it's hard for us to raise our collective IQ's en masse.

3. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

To be honest, there has been mentioning of Russ Feingold and his campaign struggles on some of the night time MSNBC shows. But regardless of the location, I think it's safe to say that several states in this country are facing the problems of rich people trying to buy their way into political power. What's worse is that many people, in their disdain for the current state of government, are willing to ignore the details as to why and will flock around the first person who gets on a microphone and screams about how mad they are.

4. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    I know you're not ignoring it in Wisconsin. All of my Wisconsinite friends are always talking about it. I wonder, though, why this race hasn't garnered more national attention. There's good news going on here. There's a story worth writing.

Also, on the IQ thing... i'm kinda stumped. I grew up in Wisconsin (in the rural part), so i know you'll find few Harvard grads. All the same, I've found the progressive streak in Wisconsin to be VERY strong. What happened? If anything, the collective IQ dropped 50 points in the past 2 years. I really just don't understand it!

One theory I have, though, involves the public palatability of the name "Johnson." He has "Merkun" sounding name. Feingold - not so much. Sad a race might come down to something so blatantly DUMB.

5. noirman

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It may be a case of voters wanting to oust all incumbents in an effort to clear up the stench of DC. Unfortunately some decent politicians will suffer, JBT.

6. B_New End

B_New End New Member

I sure as hell hope Feingold wins.
    BTW, In case anybody forgot, The Supreme Court ruled about 8 months ago that corporations are now allowed to give as much money as they want to politicians.

7. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I'm sure most people would love to see many of the career politicians voted out. However, the desire to vote out incumbents to get rid of the stale odor of DC should not become so severe that you'd actually consider voting in someone who smells even worse. Why replace the smell of feces with the aroma of sewage?

That's been one of my biggest issues with some people this year. Lots of rhetorical talk with no detailed or logical follow through.

8. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Durrrrrrr.... my name is ronjohnson I come from Visconsin.....

9. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    Honestly, Feingold is just a man. If he looses, I'll have some pity for him, because he really deserves to win. I'll have more pity, however, for the people of Wisconsin. They deserve much better than what they're asking for with Johnson. Feingold has been good to them, they'd be wise to keep that which has not yet led them astray. In this election season, i fear the people will suffer more than any politician may, decent or otherwise.

I like your analogy. In this particular example though, it's like replacing a breath of fresh air with the aroma of sewage. Aside from being grossly misinformed about the healthcare bill, the people of Wisconsin have no reason to be angry with Russ. And all that shit about the healthcare bill would be really easy to clear up, if they would STOP LISTENING TO THE DAMN TEABAGGERS!!!

10. noirman

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The sentiments I hear from colleagues and friends are almost all characterized by disgust with, mistrust of, and a feeling of betrayal by their elected officials. Most voters I know don't take the time to study issues and instead vote straight party line or after only a cursory look at a candidate's position. I don't know anything about Feingold, JBT, and I accept your assessment of his performance, but I still maintain that Wisconsin voters are probably like so many others: There's a prevailing attitude of "let's-start-over-bc-it's-not-fixable." For every incompetent politician who'll be ousted, there'll probably be a competent one joining him/her. Just my humble opinion, JBT.

11. HUNGHUGE11X7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Earth/USA/GA! DEEP IN YOUR THROAT,See vid TO SEE H
    Verified:
    Photo
    I can't fathom this either JBT, as much as SEN FEINGOLD has done for Wisconsin and he's one of the precious few Senators who are REAL DEMOCRATS !

I can only imagine it is the rage of Anti-Incumbent fever sweeping the nation.

He has come back though in the polls and hopefully will win !

Best of luck, but hey it could be worse, we are stuck with not 1 but 2 Idiot GOP Senators.

HH

12. dirtmovrwi

dirtmovrwi New Member

Not a Johnson fan here at all - Mercury all the way <joke>.

The President and First Lady have made separate visits recently so the race seems to have the attention of the bigwigs in the party.

13. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Unfortunately JBT, the majority of people (voters) don't look at the people (candidates). They look at the "parties". I believe that this is a direct result of the candidates looking at the parties, and NOT the issues.

It makes me smile to know that you guys have a "good one", but saddens me that it appears he is getting lost in the malay :frown1:

Your post could have been titled "Wake Up Everyone!!" :rolleyes:

14. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
  15. lucky8

Gold Member

This is what happens when corporations, which can't cast a single vote by the way, are allowed to make unlimited campaign donations. Start a big company, donate shit tons of cash to your own political campaign, get elected, then try and change the laws to give your company an advantage domestically so 2 years later you have even more money to "donate" to your own campaign. They really fucked us on this one

16. BiItalianBro

Gold Member

E.J. Dionne had an excellent piece about this (elections and $$$) today:

The New Republic: How Secret Money Buys Elections : NPR

It is tragic and ironic that the co-author of the McCain-Feingold Bill (a good start, but hardly a solution) is in the fight of his political life with someone who is essentially trying to 'buy' the seat.

17. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    And with RonJohn's win last night two things were proven:

1) It doesn't matter if you're an honest, hardworking politician who works with everybody to get things accomplished. People just don't care about integrity anymore.

2) Given the lack of interest in integrity, anyone can buy a Senate seat if they have enough money and the right last name.

I'm very saddened for Wisconsin, and indeed, for the whole nation. Last night, the most respectable Senator of my generation was defeated. His loss is our loss.

Russ, I wish you well, and I hope your new endeavors see you serving the public interests. We need you out there to fight for us, since we so clearly won't fight for ourselves.

18. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

JBT, I don't really know anything about this, but the people of Wisconsin have elected him for 27 years, including his time in the state senate.
    I can't believe his name is the problem.
    This might have happened if his name was Campbell.
    Maybe.

Draft saved Draft deleted