Wal-Mart is selling America's soul for less

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
A lot of people think they are too good to shop at Walmart.

They wouldn't think that if the company actually paid people a decent wage.
If we woke up tomorrow and people were getting paid $25/hr to flip burgers at McDonald's, that would instantly become one of the most sought after positions in America. :wink:

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Why anyone thinks that the mom and pop stores that have been going out of business since the 70's pay well or offer benefits is beyond me. Generally they employee high schools kids.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Why anyone thinks that the mom and pop stores that have been going out of business since the 70's pay well or offer benefits is beyond me. Generally they employee high schools kids.

According to the Small Business Administration, small business employs half of the private sector. That's more than just high school kids.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
A lot of people think they are too good to shop at Walmart.

Count me as one.

I buy my cheese from the deli, fish from the fish market, greens from the weekly farmers market and bread from the bakery. The quality is better than I could ever get from WalMart or a grocery supermarket, it tastes better, is fresher and therefore keeps longer in the fridge and is probably healthier. For all those reasons it costs less as well. I also like being on a first name basis with the folks who run the shops. There is more to life and more to community than getting a bargain everyday.

You seem to be refusing to look at more than one side of the discussion. Multiple people here have explained the reasons for their dislike of WalMart. There are some real problems with the company and their practices. But as long as they can provide you with cheap cheese they're okay, right?

Just because some multinational company is hyper-successful at following the capitalist business model, doesn't automatically make them good citizens.

Uncutsouthernboy

Superior Member
Media
I don't shop much at Walmart. I do not like going in there. I do know that their products are lower` quality. What few things that I have bought there have broken or wore out or ruined quicker that I expected. I am friends with one of their bread supplier reps in my area. He let me in on one of their secrets. The bread that they buy from him to put on their shelves is the out-of-date bread that he pulled off the shelves at a different store. He cuts the date off of it before he puts it on the shelf. The bread is still good but it is not fresh. Also I found out that the color of the twist tie on the bread denotes the day the bread was made. It is alphabetical order by color as to day with monday being the "Blue" ties, tuesday the "Green", wednesday "Orange", thursday "Purple" and friday the "Red", saturday "White" and sunday 'Yellow".

I have bought beautiful produce and the next day it is molded and has to be thrown out.

Truthfully, Wal-Mart is not all that cheap either. In my area, I did a cost comparison was between Kroger and Wal-mart, Bi-LO and some local stores. The same items were compared at the stores and the bill at Kroger was cheapest and $12.00 cheaper than Wal-mart overall on the grocery items. A local grocery was even cheaper than Kroger on their produce but not their other products. I shop at Kroger. Their stuff is better quality and is fresh. If items I get there go bad it is because I let them.