Wal-Mart Worker Trampled to Death in Long Island, NY

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

Worker dies at Long Island Wal-Mart after being trampled in Black Friday stampede

BY JOE GOULD
    DAILY NEWS WRITER
    Updated Friday, November 28th 2008, 12:17 PM

Farriella for News Police tape surrounds a Wal-Mart that was the scene of a deadly stampede.

Wal-Mart stampede, caught on camera

A Wal-Mart worker died after being trampled when hundreds of shoppers smashed through the doors of a Long Island store Friday morning, police and witnesses said.

The 34-year-old worker, employed as an overnight stock clerk, tried to hold back the unruly crowds just after the Valley Stream store opened at 5 a.m.

Witnesses said the surging throngs of shoppers knocked the man down. He fell and was stepped on. As he gasped for air, shoppers ran over and around him.

CAUGHT ON CAMERA: WAL-MART CROWD MOMENTS BEFORE DEADLY STAMPEDE

"He was bum-rushed by 200 people," said Jimmy Overby, 43, a co-worker. "They took the doors off the hinges. He was trampled and killed in front of me. They took me down too...I literally had to fight people off my back."
    The unidentified victim was rushed to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 6:03 a.m., police said.

The cause of death was pending.

A 28-year-old pregnant woman was knocked to the floor during the mad rush. She was hospitalized for observation, police said.

Three other shoppers suffered minor injuries, cops said.

Before police shut down the store, eager shoppers streamed past emergency crews as they worked furiously to save the store clerk's life.

"They were working on him, but you could see he was dead, said Halcyon Alexander, 29. "People were still coming through."

Only a few stopped.

"They're savages," said shopper Kimberly Cribbs, 27. "It's sad. It's terrible.

2. exwhyzee

Gold Member

This Black Friday shit is so overhyped. Maybe this will encourage and end to it. How do Europe, Canada, Australia and other commercialized countries survive without Black Friday? Quite easily, I imagine.

3. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

At least Walmart will face a huge lawsuit. This may end these crazy overnight lines at stores on Black Friday.

It could have happened to a customer who falls during the stampede too.

#3 Mem, Nov 28, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  4. D_Tintagel_Demondong

I couldn't agree more. This is just shocking. I don't know how civilized people can possibly do this, even with a mob mentality. I wonder how this will be handled from a criminal law perspective.

5. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

What the hell is wrong with people! It's just a fucking store, come on! Ridculous! Poor man! And poor co-workers, not been able to do something.
    And that for just getting things fro christmas! How pathetic is that. Not a good mentality.

#5 D_Jared Padalicki, Nov 28, 2008
  6. exwhyzee

Gold Member

...let's see how far we can get away from the real meaning of Christmas.

Not related to this event, but related to the backlash against commercial Christmas, is this idea. A bit corny, but I like its simplicity and sincerity.

7. arktrucker

Gold Member

Albums:
    It is a very sad story however, you'll never hear of that happening in the south. WE KNOW how to shop at a Wal-Mart. We've had extensive training!

8. Principessa

Gold Member

From what I have seen most Wal-Mart shoppers in the south are too obese to run anywhere, let alone have the energy to trample another human being.

Mom and I are fixinta go shopping now. The timed sales for 'Super Savings' are over so hopefully most of the crazys will be gone. I'm from Jersey; I will take out anyone that dares knock over my 78 year old mother. :cool:

9. CALAMBO

Gold Member

Albums:
    just a f--king shame...an embarrassment to the world...it is just walmart....feel very sorry for the family's tragedy...

10. naughty

Gold Member

P,

I thought you were sick! I luckily feel bad enough not to care one way or another if I get anything today. I am not going to go through all of that.

11. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

Look at the crowd, need I say more.

12. crescendo69

Gold Member

We are animals.

13. Principessa

Gold Member

I am sick, but mom wants to go shopping and she won't go by herself. Dad's Parkinson's has progressed to the point where a mall trip is out of the question even on a non- sale day :frown1: (His mind is strong, but his body is weak). So he'll stay home read the paper, nap, and watch football.

14. curious n str8

curious n str8 New Member

Albums:
    Wow give the meaning to a real Black Friday wrong I know. Such a shame too.

15. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

Like I said, look at the crowd.

16. AG08

Gold Member

What a truly sad story - that poor man. His family must be devestated. I heard about it on the radio this morning, and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. How do those people that did such an awful thing live with themselves???? I hope their conscience is killing them right now for costing a man his life (if they have one). What happened to "Peace on Earth and Goodwill Towards Man"? I guess that goes out the window when people think they are saving a few $$. It's shameful and pathetic.

We don't have Black Friday in Canada, but we do have Boxing Day (December 26th) where people start lining up at around 2 am for the sales. It always amazes me that people will do that - it's just a store and they are buying more crap that they probably don't need in the first place. I NEVER go shopping on Boxing Day because people behave like animals. I normally won't go back into the stores until at least 2 weeks after Christmas, and that's only if I absolutely need something. Usually in Jan and Feb the stores slash prices anyways because that is when their sales are the weakest all year. I would rather enjoy the day after Christmas relaxing at home anyways. I've never been a shopper anyways, and I won't put myself through that hell just to save a couple of bucks. The comments that were made in this thread about the people in the photographs isn't far off the mark. The Wal-Mart near my house (we have them in Canada as well) attracts the dregs of humanity. I shopped their once and vowed to never shop their again. I refer to Wal-Mart as "White-Trash Mart".

#16 AG08, Nov 28, 2008
  17. D_Tintagel_Demondong

I've actually never heard of Black Friday. "Boxing Day Sale," seems to have been replaced with, "Boxing Week Sale," up here. I think that this has helped reduce the madness of Dec 26th.

Seeing that "Blitz Line Stars Here" sign on that Wal-mart store suggests to me that this sale was over-hyped by Wal-mart and that they are partly to blame for the crowd's behavior. They got a 'blitz' alright.

18. AG08

Gold Member

That's true that "Boxing Week" is more common now, and the reason why I won't go into stores for a least 2 weeks after Christmas. I think it's just a ploy to get more shoppers in the stores because customers think they are getting a deal when they really aren't. From what my die hard shopaholic friends have told me, the best bargains are scooped up in the first few hours the store is open on Dec 26th. Stores use "door crashers" (aka: bait and switch) to draw in the crowds on the 26th, but don't offer them for the rest of the week. I guess this is why those people are lining up at 2 am on Dec 26th! Personally, I think they're crazy!!

#18 AG08, Nov 28, 2008
  19. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Good lord.. and they say life is cheap in the third-world.

This poor guy died so some 'consumers' could save a few bucks on Blu-ray players and Tickle-Me-Elmos or whatever.

Disgusting

20. BigDallasDick8x6

Gold Member

Albums:
    AND.........

......two people where shot at a Toys R Us near Palm Springs.

Incredible.

Draft saved Draft deleted