walking, biking, motorcycling

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Hi folks. I had an incident today in which I was way out of line. I was walking home from work and two guys in a white Mustang pulled up from a side street right into my path. When I waved my arms and was like WTF, the passenger rolled down the window like I was taking his order at a drive-in and told me to walk around. So as I walked around, I kicked the car, hard. Then the driver got out of the car and he's like where did you kick my car? Like he's going to get me so I pushed him, he spat on me, I spat back. Then he threw a bottle of suntan lotion at me as I walked away. Missed. I lobbed it back. Missed. Other words were exchanged.

Is it just me or is the world getting to be ruder all the time? If he'd have just said sorry I didn't see you or something. There was no question of right-of-way. I was on a through street, they were turning out of a side street. Any way you look at it don't pedestrians always have the right of way?

I guess I kind of snapped because this happens to me with fair frequency. Someone will pull right into my path, either because they don't look both ways, or they'll just do it kind of slowly while simultaneously talking on their cellphone and avoiding eye contact. Or they'll do it dangerously and I have to stop or run into them. Sometimes I yell to get their attention, then they look at me surprised like I am the idiot. You know, what are you doing in my street? I got a two thousand pound car, you got a 30 pound bike. I win.

I've been hit while riding a bike three times in my life. None was serious. I think people just don't get it. Anything smaller than you you must give a wide berth. I don't have a motorcycle, but I know this is a problem because motorcyclists have to follow the rules of the road. Walking and biking I stay off the main streets whenever possible, but this is not always possible. I mean, walking through a wide open intersection and someone pulls right into you.

I kicked on the rear bumper/rear quarter panel/tail light on the way around. I don't think I did any damage. It didn't damage the tail light. Soft soled shoe. Maybe next time it'll be the pedal of my bike in the side of their door. I'm thinking if they bring their vehicle close enough for me to touch it, I get to kick it. I'm thinking I'll probably get beat up or thrown in jail. How should I have handled this?

crescendo69

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I had a sorority type girl turn her vehicle in front of me while pedaling hard up a sidewalk. Completely bent my front tire. She told the campus cop I came out of nowhere.

I was not hurt. When I called her mom for $20 compensation for the tire, she said, "I am a lawyer, and I would not advise it".

Cyclists are not respected, but I don't think losing it will help. Maybe yelling when anticipating a dumb maneuver will help. I have given up cycling since my eye operations, which limits my peripheral vision.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I have given up cycling since my eye operations, which limits my peripheral vision.
Sorry to hear about your eyes. What is that about?

I get the feeling it is just a basic human inability to perceive a pedestrian or a bicycle rider as a threat to oneself when wrapped in a heavy vehicle. Or a basic inability to see as you point out.

There's a lot of automaticity going on when people are driving. It's probably the most dangerous thing most of us do on a regular basis. But we are immune or inured to it by long repetition. In those five seconds you have to decide what to do about something that is approaching - instead of the brain saying 2000 pounds vs. a hundred and seventy-five is not a fair match - the brain just says, meh, that's small. Not a threat.

Maybe evolution has programmed our minds to perceive threats to ourselves rather than the threat we may pose to someone else's life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

crescendo69

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The operations were for diabetic blindness. Except for peripheral loss and some night blindness, I have recovered most of my vision. I have to be very careful when driving now. Pedestrians who don't obey crosswalk signs and vehicles that cut in front of me suddenly are risking it. I do a lot of slowing down and head turning (driving like an old guy).

I miss the biking.

prickleyguy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
You have got to be careful, doing what you did around here would probably get you shot by one of the gang bangers, whether you are right or wrong, there are too many violent crazy people in the world these days and common consideration is out the window, be careful and take care.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
How should I have handled this?

As a bicyclist and motorist I've learned to suffer ignorant, boorish behavior on the part of others on the roadway with a smile. Its a self-preservation technique because its not worth the risk to react otherwise, no matter what the provocation. Never let the deeds of other drivers control your emotions and reactions on the road. The consequences of escalating a confrontation involving thousands of pounds of moving metal and an angry, aggressive driver are potentially quite unpleasant, not to mention illegal.

Is it difficult to control my temper at times? Sure is. But the rewards of practicing self-control and measured response far outweigh the brief thrill of flipping the bird to an obnoxious driver.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You have got to be careful, doing what you did around here would probably get you shot by one of the gang bangers, whether you are right or wrong, there are too many violent crazy people in the world these days and common consideration is out the window, be careful and take care.
Well said!
In NJ he could have been shot by your average soccer mom. :tongue:

dxjnorto, while you had every right to be upset at what happend. You did not have the right to exhibit such inappropriate and over the top anger.

SpeedoGuy is correct. You may want to print out his post and re-read it daily.
[QUOTE\SpeedoGuy] "As a bicyclist and motorist I've learned to suffer ignorant, boorish behavior on the part of others on the roadway with a smile. Its a self-preservation technique because its not worth the risk to react otherwise, no matter what the provocation. Never let the deeds of other drivers control your emotions and reactions on the road. The consequences of escalating a confrontation involving thousands of pounds of moving metal and an angry, aggressive driver are potentially quite unpleasant, not to mention illegal.

Is it difficult to control my temper at times? Sure is. But the rewards of practicing self-control and measured response far outweigh the brief thrill of flipping the bird to an obnoxious driver." [/quote]
Seriously dude, dial it back a notch before you stroke out. I hate to sound like a bossy bitch but you may want to take a seminar in impulse control and anger management?