Wall Discipline Prompts Concerns

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
ADA — A mother who kept her sixth-grader out of school for a week because of a disagreement over how he was punished said her son will go back to school today. Amy Caton’s son, Jonathan, 12, was told to stand facing Willard Grade Center’s brick school building Oct. 20 during recess. He was being punished for not turning in a homework assignment.

Caton said her son gets 15 to 20 minutes of recess after lunch every day. Caton decided to send her son back after meeting with school officials Tuesday. She contends the school’s policy of making students stand facing the side of the brick school building as other children play is wrong.

Gee, she really showed them! Keeping her little, lazy, dumb brat out of school for a week. I bet that made the school miss him and realize the error of their ways. :rolleyes:

IMO - The correct response would have been for her to say that she would be more vigilant in checking his homework each night.
:cool:

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
That's a weird punishment for not handing in homework though. Other kinds of bad behaviour and acting out might warrant that kind of thing but the fact that the kid hadn't handed in his homework on time is at least partly his parent's fault, making him stand against a wall for something which is partly his parent's fault is a bit unfair.

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Gee, she really showed them! Keeping her little, lazy, dumb brat out of school for a week. I bet that made the school miss him and realize the error of their ways. :rolleyes:

IMO - The correct response would have been for her to say that she would be more vigilant in checking his homework each night.

Sure and beat him into submission to get it done.... get real.

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh come on now :wink: I don't think she was advocating child abuse was she ? Some people are just stricter about the behaviour of children than others, that doesn't make them monsters. :smile:

Actually, I'm waiting on her reply. If I read more into the post than what was "implied" in my opinion then I'll repent and beg forgiveness. But not before.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Sure and beat him into submission to get it done.... get real.
What? You just tell your kids to do their homework and they do it? Well then you need to bottle your secret to rearing perfect children and sell it.:rolleyes:

Oh come on now :wink: I don't think she was advocating child abuse was she? Some people are just stricter about the behaviour of children than others, that doesn't make them monsters. :smile:

What child abuse?!?! Making a kid stand against a wall at recess isn't child abuse. It is a strange punishment for not doing homework; but it's not abusive.

Media
I had worse done to me for not turning in homework. Seems to me they could have come up with a more stimulating punishment like reading aloud to other detention students, engaging their minds with things they normally would not go up for.

Being forced to stand facing a brick wall, while not abusive seems a waste of time. Now days you have to be more creative with children. The parents need to check and make sure homework is being done as well.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media

What child abuse?!?! Making a kid stand against a wall at recess isn't child abuse. It is a strange punishment for not doing homework; but it's not abusive.

Sorry, can you not read the words your quoting ? I was pointing out that Molotovmuffin was being silly by equating the punishment you'd brought to our attention with beating children, and that being strict does not mean being abusive, perhaps I was foolish to bother. The post your quoting was in support of you, but if you want to have dispute with me then go ahead.

As I've already said, I think its an odd way to punish not handing in homework on time, but I do think children should be fairly punished for bad behaviour, I was and it was the part of the making of me.

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Can I have a direct link to the story please. I'd like to know the rest of the story.

I made my son stand with his nose to the wall...he picked the dammed wall paper off. Taught me a lesson he did. I also made him sit at the table until his homework was done which never happened. Each kid is uniquely different and clustering or labeling them into quote "little, lazy, dumb brat" is just stupid. Evidently this woman's mistake was to not be njqt466.

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
What? You just tell your kids to do their homework and they do it? Well then you need to bottle your secret to rearing perfect children and sell it.:rolleyes:
Hell my parents never looked at my homework. It was expected that it be done. If I didn't and the result was a bad grade, then I was grounded.

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'd be forced to stay in for recess and complete my homework if I didn't get it done. If I finished it quickly enough, I could go out to recess for the remainder of time, so there was always an incentive to actually get it done. I personally think that's the best punishment for these sorts of situations.

The wall-facing thing is slightly cruel. Sadistic, almost. Like keeping a treat permanently out of a dog's reach, but always in sight. Sure, it probably teaches the kid a lesson, but there are much better ways to get that done.

Regarding the mother, I think she's a moron. Only the child suffers from her brilliant act of rebellion.

Media
Can I have a direct link to the story please. I'd like to know the rest of the story.

I made my son stand with his nose to the wall...he picked the dammed wall paper off. Taught me a lesson he did. I also made him sit at the table until his homework was done which never happened. Each kid is uniquely different and clustering or labeling them into quote "little, lazy, dumb brat" is just stupid. Evidently this woman's mistake was to not be njqt466.

Grant it, referring to the child as "lazy, dumb, brat" is on the harsh side. Particularly since it is not the child's fault. The parents needs to do their job and check the child's homework.

For the most part NJ is probably venting her frustrations with the lack of parenting skills here.

It is just an opinion and to get fired up over it and drag it out into post after post is not going to solve anything. People have said much worse on this site and done far worse.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Hell my parents never looked at my homework. It was expected that it be done. If I didn't and the result was a bad grade, then I was grounded.

I was gonna say: in my mind the appropriate punishment for undone homework is a lower average, which leads ultimately to a lower grade.

That teaches not just the necessity of completing one's work but of real-life consequences, which is about as concrete as any abstract lesson could ever be.

As someone whose mother (never a paragon of maternal wisdom) regularly picked fights with his teachers, this sounds like it's all about the mother, not the kid so much if at all.

SR_Blarney_Frank

Experimental Member
Media
The only person suffering here is the kid who has to stand in the middle of a battle of the witless. Mom is an idiot for keeping him home and the school really needs to think of something better for kids to do than stand facing a wall.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'd agree with DiscontentBoy that making the kid do his homework during break would have been a more productive use of his time and more likely to teach him to get it done on time in future. One of my old teachers, Mrs MacRitchie, used to get us to do our homework on the blackboard in front of the class if it wasn't done on time. She only had to do that a couple of times a year. Yeah, she was a bitch, but she made sure we all learnt as much as we could from her.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Some of the responses above are laughable. "It was partly the parent's fault". Why? Wasn't the parent's homework. And yes, making the kid spend his recess doing the work would have been more productive (and probably more of an inconvenience for the kid). Hell, all he had to do was stand there, poor dear.

But yeah, I'll bet the school was "all broken up" over his absence.

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
There is something missing here. This has to be one of the least productive punishments for non-performance that I have ever heard of. If I did not do my homework it was reflected in a report card and I was "grounded" as a kid. Though I am not surprised the school officials involved in my eyes win the "Darwin Award" for stupidity at teaching additional non-productivity, and there is some quesiton regarding the knowledge of the parent or parents in this issue with regards to this being an incident that had taken place multiple times or if this was punishment for a single incident. That also has bearning on the inclination of the school to dole out a "punishment" for a "non-act" rather than an "act".

This is strange and bears a little more investigation to say the least.