Wall Street Journal: Republicans Are Hypocrites

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bbucko, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Here's an especially funny trick: have earmarks added to the Omnibus Spending Bill, denounce other politician's earmarks as "wasteful", then vote against the bill "on principle" when you know that your earmarks will still be delivered to your district. In the words of Mario Diaz-Balart (R, FL):

The hypocracy is so blatant that the Wall Street Journal's headline reads:After Voting No, Republicans Tout Funds

My second favorite quote comes from Rep. Howard Coble (R, NC):

These guys have balls, I'll give 'em that!

2. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

They give you a warm, fuzzy feeling; politicians.

3. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

More hyprocrisy...

Sarah Palin reportedly announced to the press last week that she was rejecting about 49% of the stimulus funding allotted Alaska.

This week there's a new headline:"Palin rejects nearly 30 percent of stimulus funds".

She seems to be moving in the wrong direction. Sarah reportedly said in a press interview: "Thanks, but no thanks!" to Obama's stimulus money. Just like Sarah had said: “I told the Congress ‘thanks, but no thanks,’ for that Bridge to Nowhere” (which turned out to be, in fact, not true).

Part of the stimulus money that Sarah has rejected is money for Alaska's special education. Sarah was criticized for slashing funding for special ed by 62% in 2008. Now, she's rejecting millions in stimulus money for special needs children.

The morning after Obama's Jay Leno appearance where he made an offhand remark about the Special Olympics, Sarah was quick to pounce to a reporter:

"I was shocked to learn of the comment made by President Obama about Special Olympics. This was a degrading remark about our world's most precious and unique people, coming from the most powerful position in the world. These athletes overcome more challenges, discrimination and adversity than most of us ever will."

Palin is expected to launch a presidential run in 2012.

4. sargon20

Gold Member

Over and over they rely on the stupidity of the electorate and there seems to be a bottomless pool of that. How else could Faux News and the Wall Street Journal editorial page exist?

Reminds me of Dowd's BushWorld:

In Bushworld, they struggle to keep church and state separate in Iraq, even as they increasingly merge the two in America.

In Bushworld, you can claim to be the environmental president on Earth Day while being the industry president every other day.

In Bushworld, the C.I.A. says it can't find out whether there are W.M.D. in Iraq unless we invade on the grounds that there are W.M.D.

In Bushworld, we're making progress in the war on terror by fighting a war that creates terrorists.

In Bushworld, you don't need to bother asking your vice president and top Defense Department officials whether you should go to war in Iraq, because they've already maneuvered you into going to war.

In Bushworld, you don't consult your father, the expert in being president during a war with Iraq, but you do talk to your Higher Father, who can't talk back to warn you to get an exit strategy or chide you for using Him for political purposes.

We can add

In PalinWorld you can slam stimulus money while taking stimulus money.

#4 sargon20, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  5. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    SarahPAC was launched about 6-8 weeks ago. She already has callers getting busy in Iowa asking, among other things, if voters in that state think she should seek re-election as governor of Alaska or not.

Her whole refusal/denial of stimulus funds is typical Palinesque posturing.

#5 Bbucko, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  6. pym

pym New Member

Republicans are the Snidely Whiplash's of the human race. CONSERVATIVE use of truth. LIBERAL use of deception. Nationalize debt. Privatize profit.
    Republicans start the wars,and the Democrats have to fight it.

Creedance Clearwater Revival
    Fortunate son
    YouTube - Creedence Clearwater Revival: Fortunate Son

Some folks are born made to wave the flag,
    Ooh, theyre red, white and blue.
    And when the band plays hail to the chief,
    Ooh, they point the cannon at you, lord,

It aint me, it aint me, I aint no senators son, son.
    It aint me, it aint me; I aint no fortunate one, no,

Yeah!
    Some folks are born silver spoon in hand,
    Lord, dont they help themselves, oh.
    But when the taxman comes to the door,
    Lord, the house looks like a rummage sale, yes,

It aint me, it aint me, I aint no millionaires son, no.
    It aint me, it aint me; I aint no fortunate one, no.

Some folks inherit star spangled eyes,
    Ooh, they send you down to war, lord,
    And when you ask them, how much should we give?
    Ooh, they only answer more! more! more! yoh,

It aint me, it aint me, I aint no military son, son.
    It aint me, it aint me; I aint no fortunate one, one.

It aint me, it aint me, I aint no fortunate one, no no no,
    It aint me, it aint me, I aint no fortunate son, no no no,

7. sargon20

Gold Member

We can also add

In PalinWorld you can push abstinence-only education while your 16 yr-old daughter practices no protection sex.

8. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Why you evil, nasty libtards... How dare you speak the truth! :biggrin:

9. Flashy

Gold Member

yes, who would have ever thought the republicans were hypocrites? :rolleyes:

i'll ask again...how does that excuse the democrats when they behave hypocritically?

most of you never have an answer on that account.

fine. we know the republicans suck, are liars and take advantage of situations to spin things politically.

so how does that excuse the democrats when they do it?

it must be amazing to be a supporter of two such clean and honest political parties where the other's hypocrisy is so stark in contrast to the honesty and decency of those you are in league with :rolleyes:

them people bad...us people good.

me gorthak, me throw rock, me no like you.

it is always amazing to watch the two extremes accuse each other over and over and over again of the exact same behavior they engage in.

10. pym

pym New Member

All i know is......so far, Barack Obama is doing exactly what he said he would do during his campaign. I am very proud of the fact that i voted Democrat. The Republican era is OVER. Why? Look at Facekings current AVATAR. {for future posterity: Mr. Obama with Chimps ears.}

11. Flashy

Gold Member

i am not suggesting you should not support who you voted for pymster, but to say the republican era is over, is not exactly true. Even at the height of their disorganization at the moment, they are drawing even with the democrats in a generic congressional poll taken by NPR (National Public Radio) 42%-42%

don't forget, that independents makeup a significant portion of the electorate, and it was feelings and leanings and the votes of the independents that swung the election Obama's way. If he loses the independent voters and the democrats are not seen as doing well, within anywhere from two to four years, the republicans may be back in power.

don't forget, everyone thought the democrats were dead and buried in 2004...2 and 4 years later...boom.

12. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I am not a Democrat. I find them squishy-moderate on too many important things and incoherent on many others. I value my independence too much to ever toe to a party's specific line.

The thing that really struck me about this article (aside from the fact that it came from the WSJ), is that these politicians (and many, many more besides) seem terrified of being labeled pragmatic, nuanced or thoughtful. And it's why the Republican party is lost in the wilderness and clueless right now.

Palinism isn't a disease, it's a symptom of a greater, deeper pathology of dogmatic resolution and prideful, willful know-nothingness. She's quite possibly the most incurious nationally influential politician of my lifetime.

13. jimcord

jimcord Member

Pym,
    Doing exactly as he said? Does that include putting individuals in positions when they are attached to lobbying?-He said he wouldn't! Does it include spending a week in the media saying he is outraged at the AIG bonuses? When we find out a week later through Sen. Dodd that is was the White House (he is the White House) that instructed the contract to be changed to include them. Does it include adding almost another trillion to the national debt? (don't even think about saying that he inherited that from Bush (I am not complete fan of his either) since he was in the House and voted for the other bailout funds, so under his involvement and watch he has added $1.6 trillion to then national debt screwing the next generation and the one after that! As for gay right - still waiting for him to support same sex marriage and we never saw him campaigning in California to support it, as a matter of fact, if you listened or watched two of the national debates, de said publicly that he does NOT support same sex marriage
    So just what are you so proud of electing so far?

14. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Demonizing earmarks is an example of how poorly Americans are educated in the workings of their own government.

Earmarks are GOOD. Not bad.

When I elect a person to represent MY district in congress, I expect him to look out for MY district.

IT'S HIS FUCKING JOB to try and get money appropriated for my local schools, to help with local employment, to fund that science lab next door and the military contractor that employs thousands of my neighbors.

When my congressman brings home the bacon, he gets re-elected.

That is the way its supposed to work.
    States without the population and tax base can swap votes on major legislation in exchange for earmarks that help their constituents out of proportion to the taxes they pay.
    Cheyenne Wyoming gets a new gymnasium, or a big government order for a product made there.
    It may SOUND wasteful, but it is actually YOUR govenrment efficiently re-dsitributing tax funds FAIRLY.
    Because it is not fair that populous states get ALL the money.

Republicans AND Democrats KNOW this.
    But its an easy target to try and get Americans worked up over wasteful government spending.

Wasteful government spending is Borrowing money to KILL innocent human beings. OR to spend billions stockpiling weapons we will never derive any meaningful use from. ( employ those same technology firms building high speed rail... at least we can USE high speed rail )

It is NEVER wasteful for the Government to spend money EMPLOYING American workers on publicly funded projects that benefit the communities the money goes to.

We ALL need to STOP allowing our emotions and ignorance to be PLAYED.

What the republicans are doing is deceitful and immoral.
    And the Democrats are not above doing the same.

But it only works because Americans are, by and large, shit ignorant of how their own government works.

15. Pitbull

Gold Member

And from today's news headlines

"Sen. Gregg says Obama budget will bankrupt US"

16. pym

pym New Member

Civil Rights
    Jan. 29 2009 - Obama signs the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act. Reducing discrimination based on gender, age, religion, or race.

Environmental
    Feb. 21 2009 - Obama signs a mercury reduction pact with 140 other nations. The policy reverses roles with George Bush and sets mandatory requirements by the United States.

Government Reform
    Jan. 27 2009 - Administration tells Citigroup bank it is “unacceptable” to pay for a $42 million dollar luxury jet when they have received $45 billion in bailouts from taxpayers.
    Feb. 19 2009 - Bans the exception of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars from accounting the deficit. This results in a 2.5 trillion dollar increase in calculated deficit to the United States.
    Feb. 23 2009 - Announces Earl Devaney to oversee the oversight of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Mr. Devaney worked as a Secret Service agent who exposed lobbist corruption in the Department of the Interior.
    March 9 2009 - Lifts ban on embryonic stem cell research. A major move in changing the politics of research and science in the United States.

Humanitarian
    Jan. 23 2009 - Obama orders the close of Guantanamo Bay facility

Thats a start for me. Not bad for 60 days.......Now reciprocity is on order here......Pray tell, What were G.W. Bushs "Accomplishments" during his first 60 days in office. Since you insist that i can not mention the 11 trillion dollar debt that was left behind.......my guess is that you are not an advocate of TRANSPARENCY in Govt. Republicans.......allways INSISTING.

17. Flashy

Gold Member

it is not that these people are terrified of being labelled pragmatic, it is that most of them simply are not. You can't be terrified of being labeled something when you are not in fact capable of it.

The far right/social cosnervatives have driven virtually all the moderates and progressives out of the republican party....so the vast majority can not in fact be labeled pragrmatic, nuanced and thoughtful because many, precisely, simply are not.

As for Palin, i really could care less about her...she is an absurd ideologue just like Pelosi, difference is, Palin is for the moment, sequestered in Alaska, hopefully forever. Pelosi is having a field day in Washington.

The only good thing is see, is that the republicans have driven out all their moderates and progressives, and the far left are doing their darndest to shove their consevatives and moderates out the door these days...

hopefully, one day, that might herald a new, centrist party to emerge, consisting of moderate/conservative democrats and former liberal, progressive republicans...all of whom are primarily pro-choice, pro-environment, pro-gun control, yet pro fiscal respnsibility and reasonable taxation levels, etc.

i just cannot condone the hypocrisy label thrown at one side, without the inclusion of its mirror image on the other extreme included...

no insult intended to you or your positions. :cool:

18. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Gregg's an ass...
    Bush ALREADY bankrupted the US

Lots of companies go bankrupt.
    The question is, will they dissolve or re-organize.

Obama is taking the position that re-organizing is the better alternative.

Republicans want to see that fail... to the great misfortune of the entire nation.
    But its an easy postion to take when you are a bunch of juiceless skinflints with millions in the bank already and government provided bulletproof healthcare and pensions that you routinely deny your constituents.

19. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Great post Pym!

20. Pitbull

Gold Member

Phil, I have to agree with some of what you say and disagree with much also.
    Yes the Republicans and Democrats do a lot of the same.
    And knowing that these earmark bills were going to get passed - yes their job it to preserve the share their constituents receive. After all their constituents are paying in.

But government should not be about redistribution.
    That is a euphemism for stealing.
    People who don't pay takes get refunds?
    Where did the money come from to redistribute? Stolen from taxpayers.
    The federal government is doing a lot of things it shouldn't be doing.
    And it keeps taking money to do those things.
    Whatever needs to be done should be done by the lowest level of government possible. Schools should be funded and run on the local level.
    Money comes from the people who get the services.
    The people who make the decisions are elected locally.
    In small communities they may even run into their constituents, who will know them and recognize them on a regular basis.
    There is accountability.
    If the federal government decides how my school should be run the decision is being made by 435 people in congress. I am only able to vote for 3 of them (2 senators and 1 representative).
    Where is the accountability.
    The stimulus package is a great example.
    Full of "earmarks".
    Full of waste.
    Not one of the 435 read the bill.
    Overwhelmingly passed.
    I can only vote for the opponents of 3 or those 435.
    The other 432 don't give a shit about me. I can't vote for them.

How can they get away with this?
    We let them
    "because Americans are, by and large, shit ignorant of how their own government works."

Draft saved Draft deleted