Wallet Test (testing people's honesty)

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by suncrafter, Oct 3, 2007.

1. suncrafter

suncrafter New Member

2. D_N Flay Table

D_N Flay Table New Member

I have found wallets before, and I have always returned them..
    but I am a nice guy.

3. camper joe

Gold Member

Just return it, you never know when you might drop yours.

4. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I, too, have found wallets and returned them. Only one of them was found with money in it, though, and it went back to the original owner, too.

5. Principessa

Gold Member

:biggrin1: Because men are inherently bad. :wink: It takes the love a good woman or man to tame their wild ways.

6. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I have a knack of finding purses, I always return them, if there's any id inside I use that and phone the person directly, if not I hand it in to a bank that their credit card comes from - I figure that banks always have cameras and that will force them to be honest and give it back whereas I'm not sure that if I handed it in at a police station they'd make any attempt to get it back to the person.

7. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Good show handing it to a bank. I would think some unscrupulous officer would pardon the whole "30 days to claim" rule and confiscate the valuables.

I wouldn't lie, though. I would be tempted to jack some money. That's just because I'm broke.

I'm curious to know how many people would pocket a random dollar bill lying in the street. Now that the identity of the money is stripped, how would that change people's honesty?

8. sbeBen

sbeBen New Member

Them police people are not to be trusted!:mad:

9. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

If I found a random loose note I would keep it, the chances of getting it back to the owner are practically zero.

10. Principessa

Gold Member

A wallet or purse I would absolutely return to the owner intact. However, if I found a dollar in a parking lot or on the sidewalk I would pick it up and not think anything about it.

11. Male Bonding etc

Gold Member

I've returned a wallet before, and when I was in college someone found mine and sent it to my P.O. box. Money was left intact both times.

I did find a loose note once near some apartments. Perhaps I should have left it there, but dropping it on the ground again would have been tantamount to littering; so, I kept it.

12. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    Because they only tested 49 males and 51 females for a grand total of a measly 100 people and didn't control for any other factors such as ethnicity, age, nationality, religion, economic level, etc. and therefore it's a completely meaningless "experiment" from a statistical standpoint.

Sorry, I'm a scientist in real life. Seeing this kind of thing makes me want to beat someone over the head with a big stats book. :biggrin1:

13. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    I returned a wallet I once found and the money (several hundred dollars). Looked up the phone number on the internet (she was from someplace in Texas) and mailed it to her.

14. No_Strings

Gold Member

I keep any loose money I find, but would definitely return a wallet - I've never come across one though.

With a survey that small, results based on age/race/gender are practically irrelevant.

15. frizzle

Gold Member

What about a wallet with no ID in it?

16. B_Swimming Lad

B_Swimming Lad New Member

U hand it in anywhere near where u find it incase the owner comes back for it.

When I was about 7, I found a £20 note on the floor in Boswell's (big Oxford department store) and my mum said I should hand it in. So I gave it to a chashier girl. But the owner never caim back to get it so a couple of weeks later they sent it to me!!
    (It seemed like an enormous amount of money at the time...)

17. Sklar

Gold Member

Albums:
    Way back at the turn of the Millenium, I was getting onto the Seattle Monorail and found someones day planner. Being the curious sort of guy that I am, I picked it up and leafed through it. There were credit cards, drivers liscenes, money, addresses and air plane tickets in it.

Looking at the tickets it showed that the flight for two people were leaving from Sea-Tac that night at 8 PM. So I take the day planner and keep it with me. I get to the airport at 6:45 PM, go to the airline that the people are travelling on and have them paged.

A very young married couple show up and you can tell that they have not had a good day. I give them their day planner and their bad day suddenly went away. I turned down their reward because honesty is the best reward that there is.

I said good bye and left.

Sklar

Eva likes this.
  18. Eva

Eva New Member

Sklar, that story may have made my day!!

I've found exactly one wallet and it was in the middle of a street. It looked as if someone had pilfered through it already but there was an insurance card in there with a name on it. I looked the name up and found a phone number, called, left a message. After a week, no one had returned the call so I sent the wallet to the insurance company, as I figured they'd have an address on file for the person.

19. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Very interesting...............:smile:

20. YourAvgGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Interesting experiment, but I would like to know more about the controls, demographics where the experiment took place, etc. I think that would provide more implications that what this study shows.

Draft saved Draft deleted