wanna work for a living? well, the government says FUCK YOU

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Dr Rock, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Republican-controlled Senate refused Wednesday to raise the minimum wage, rejecting an election-year proposal from Democrats for the first increase in nearly a decade.

The federal minimum wage has been fixed at $5.15 an hour since 1997.

... bear in mind that these are the same "representatives" who just voted to increase their OWN salaries - for the tenth year in a row - to $170,000 a year.

"This is a classic debate between two different philosophies. One philosophy believes in the marketplace, competition and entrepreneurship, and the second is a philosophy that says government knows best," said Sen. Johnny Isakson, R-Georgia.

you got that right, kiddo. shame you failed to figure out which side is which, though.

:puke:

2. rhino_horn

rhino_horn New Member

if you ran for president i'd vote for you twice.

*people complain less when they have to wonder where their next meal is coming from. also, the army is always hiring...

3. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Almost correct, dahling. They revised the self-pay-raise process a few years back. Now, their raises are automatic, unless they vote not to get a raise. It was taking too much time for them to vote for their raise every year... so now, they do nothing and get the raise, or they vote not to get one. Duh, which do you think those greedy bastards are gonna do? They gotta save more floor debate time for important issues, like amending discrimination into the Constitution, or appropriating a few more billion dollars to spend in Petroleopolis. (but we can't buy a few shots of insulin for old poor people.)

4. joker

joker New Member

Oh that pisses me off..I hate our government...they think they're so priviledged...eeerrggg....

5. dong20

Gold Member

They are privileged and thus in the position to keep it that way....the same sort of crap goes on over here too.:rolleyes:

6. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

And NEVER forget that even if you are a member of one of those groups that they don't want to have full citizenship rights, they still don't mind collecting your taxes. I've said it before and I'll say it again... if they want to take away my full rights as a citizen, then I should not be required to pay full taxes.

7. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Insufficient wages frozen for nine years, regardless of inflation. DAMN.

8. dong20

Gold Member

$5.15....that is low...and not index adjusted, that is insane. Is it age related?

We have only had a minimum wage since 1999 when the top rate was £3.60 it is not index linked but usually rises with inflation. There is a campaign for Index Linking.

The minimum wage is a legal right which covers almost all workers above compulsory school leaving age. There are different minimum wage rates for different groups of workers as follows:
    • The main rate for workers aged 22 and over is currently set at £5.05 an hour. On 1 October 2006 this will increase to £5.35
    • The development rate for 18-21 year olds is currently set at £4.25 an hour this will increase to £4.45 on 1 October 2006
    • The development rate for 16-17 years olds. This rate is £3.00 an hour. This will increase on 1 October 2006 to £3.30 an hour
    • On 1 October 2006 the rate of the accommodation offset will increase to £29.05 per week (£4.15 per day). The current rate is £27.30 per week (£3.90 per day)
    Our benefits system has such perversities that in many circumstances it can be far more profitable not to work....especially if you have lots of children. It's nuts.:rolleyes:

9. findfirefox

Gold Member

Compleate Bull, I guess the people arround here are lucky because Minimmum Wage in Washington State is 7.63 an hour and in Oregon its 7.50.

"In 2006, Washington has the highest state minimum wage. The next highest are Oregon ($7.50), Connecticut ($7.40), and Alaska ($7.15).

Minimum wages for other states: www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/america.htm. "

10. dong20

Gold Member

Whats bull?

I still find it interesting and sometimes disconcerting that individual states have such freedoms.:rolleyes:

11. B_cadetmatt

B_cadetmatt New Member

Well it is bullshit that congress continues to raise its own salary, if you don't think minimum wage is high enough you have 3 options: Get a raise, find a new job, or go to school and get a degree. If you can't do one of those things, you don't even deserve minimum wage to begin with.

12. dong20

Gold Member

And if you're learning impaired, disabled, having to work part time as a parent or carer for elderly parents etc?

13. Matthew

Gold Member

Option 4: Organize and fight for a better life.

14. Dr Rock

Gold Member

do YOU think it's high enough? tried living on $200 a week recently?

genius!! why didn't all the poor folks think of that?? oh wait they did and their employers told them to go fuck themselves, oops

easier said than done if you happen to be disabled, possess no qualifications, or suffer from one of the million other social stigmata that companies use as excuses

and who's gonna pay for that? the government? HAHA

15. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Remember that states always have the power to enforce legislation that increases on federal laws (such as Maryland having a current minimum wage of $6.15).

At Dong20--not it is not age related. That being said, in Maryland, an employer can pay a trainee below the minimum wage during a training period. I remember clearly when I got my first job, that I earned $3.50 during my training period and $3.75 (Maryland minumum wage at that time) once it was over.

And let's not forget that $7.25 is NOT a livable wage when you consider the rises in housing (renting prices), food, transportation, etc. Add to that the fact that many minimum wage workers are trying to support more than one person on their income and you can see how farsical it all becomes.

If (and it's a BIG if) we had health care for all, the minimum wage would not be as awful, but poor people have NO money to pay for health care or the "shit happens" expenses that arise from living.

See:

Nickel and Dimed: On NOT Getting by in America

and

30 Days on Minimum Wage

and

Class Matters: By the NY Times

16. Dr Rock

Gold Member

you will also get far less than the minimum wage for any job in which you can expect tips from customers

17. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

YES. Waiters/waitresses and bar tenders here in Maryland make about $2.10 a hour I think.

18. dong20

Gold Member

And that's legal? It's not here, there was a bill introduced in 2003 specifically to address this issue: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200203/cmbills/150/2003150.htm

If you're a crappy waiter then I guess you're screwed. I will remember this the next time I eat out your side of the pond.:smile:

19. SomeGuyOverThere

Gold Member

This has been criticised already, but I'll criticise it some more.

Maybe you hadn't noticed, but the Western economy is in a bit of shit at the moment, and there arent many jobs on the go, so once you have a job, changing isn't really a viable option.

Maybe you also hadn't noticed that some people don't have time to get further education because they are working such long hours to make ends meet, and/or looking after kids and so they don't have either the time or the money to seek education, and to add insult to injury, the education system in the US of A is entirely based on how many 10s of thousands of USD you have in the bank.

The more money you have, the better a degree you can get - if you have diddly-squat to start with, you ain't gonig to get diddly-squat.

And also, maybe you hadn't noticed, but you don't just pop down to the shops and "get a raise", you ahve to ask your boss for it, who, in all likelyhood is going to laugh in your face. Especially if you are working behind the till in McDonalds or stacking crates in a warehouse.

It's so easy for people who have money and an education to blame the predicament of the poor on themselves, but in actual fact, the poor are more often than not stuck in their poverty with no way out because they don't have the same oppertunities that a middle class person has, not even in basic things like an education or a decent job.

They're disadvantaged fro mthe word go because their family doesnt have the financial backing to get them a good education, and in all likelyhood, if you are poor, you live in a poor area, which has a poor school, and a poor mentality, and you can't break out of that cycle with any ease - it is not a simple matter of getting motivated and getting off your arse, if you start 5 miles before the starting line and have things thrown at you constantly on route, how the hell are you supposed to catch up?

20. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Yup. I am not clear why but there is a separate Miniumum Wage for Tipped Employees--Sucks.

My favorite bar tender gets a check for $0.0 every two weeks becasue she is so good and has regulars who tip her exceptionally well.

Can you imagine?

Draft saved Draft deleted