Want to do more with my life

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by FeroxFemina, Mar 13, 2011.

1. FeroxFemina

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I watched this - PEOPLE ARE AWESOME search on Youtube) and it has inspired me to do something more exciting with my life.

Right now my life is quite dull. I have ME/CFS and have been 80% house bound for a few weeks.

I'm slowly building up my stamina (I can now manage a 30 minute walk whereas two weeks ago I felt like I was dying after 10 minutes) and want to learn a new skill to be proud of and I need suggestions.

I'm a student and money is tight so nothing too expensive. Maybe something to start slowly with, e.g. indoor climbing as opposed to climbing everest right away!

I live in London but have countryside access.

I'm currently unfit but willing to work hard and go onwards and upwards.

Suggestions please :biggrin1:

#1 FeroxFemina, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2011
  2. HornyToad11

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Start by gentle exercise, enjoy the spring. I like walking in the park, there are loads in London. Plan your journey and choose a circular route that gets you back home, maybe with a stop off for healthy food and drink.

I guess you will be trying to catch up on your studies, but make time to recharge your batteries.

Goog luck!

3. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I'm sorry about the health issues that have caused you to be house bound. I've been there and done that after an automobile accident so I know how much of a drag it is.
    Do some research on line about an activity that most interests you. Talk to your doctor or a physical therapist about what you can do to start building up your strength for what you desire to do.
    My only other suggestion is if there is an activity that really interests you and there is a group in your area; join it and start to become an active member as time and recovery permit.

4. FeroxFemina

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The more I rest, the more rest I want and so on etc.

I'm finally starting to feel more energetic and don't want to get stuck in a rut again.

I have 7 weeks off uni for study and have planned all of my study days etc. I need something else to focus on. Or something to plan for, e.g. a new activity to start in the summer when my exams are over.

Right now I'm going for walks with the aim of simply not feeling like I'm going to die when I get home.

I want to plan for something bigger, such as starting to learn how to (--insert cool suggestion here---).

That way I'm more motivated. I'm seeing a counsellor and at our session last Wednesday she warned that I'm focussing on my symptoms and am losing myself.

I don't want to lose myself to this. I need to do more.

5. FeroxFemina

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    There are so may random things I want to do. Eventually I want to skydive, go bungee jumping and rock climbing.

For now going for a short run is a big enough goal!

I wish there a was a big list somewhere of all the cool things to do in London (and not tourist stuff). Me and google are going to have a busy night.

6. nudeyorker

Gold Member

It was a great video but it had minors in it so I removed it. It can be found searching People Are Awesome.

7. FeroxFemina

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    ^ I'm so sorry!

8. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Don't worry! But back to what you were saying. Check out the groups that are listed in TimeOut London. I bet there are a lot of things that will interest you. My big thrills in life are snow skiing, surfing and scuba diving. I tried sky diving and it was really a thrill. I also took hang gliding lessons and I chickened out because I just could not bring myself to throw myself off of a cliff attached to a fancy kite.
    Whatever you decide to do keep us posted.

9. HornyToad11

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Cool suggestion: --try Googling Pineapple Dance studios. My son used to do Capoeira (a Brazilian quasi martial art) there, but they do lots of other things. It's probably a bit pricy if you are on a budget, but maybe once in a while the budget will stretch.---

10. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Aww, sorry to hear that luv. :( Just recovering from the same thing myself.

You wont lose urself to it...just pace urself, regular activity AND rest. But you're right in wanting to focus on things you enjoy - that helps loads. :)

All the best, and good luck!

Yeh, the counsellor seems correct in this. Focusing on what u have/can achieve, what's manageable, and what u'd like to do in future is a great idea. :)

I've done the same thing the last yr or so - had goals and things id love to do - then focus on the steps needed to reach them bit by bit. Enjoy yourself, but dont go over the top. :)

#10 Joll, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2011
  11. FeroxFemina

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I already have a mental life list (I got the idea from Chicken Soup for the soul) (My Life List, John Goddard) and the list of skills I want to learn activity-wise include (just to name a few):
    Scuba diving
    Surfing (ever since I watched Point Break)
    Hang gliding (I'm worried I'd be scared too)
    Base jumping (looks like fun)
    Skiing (don't know how to :frown1:)
    Indoor climbing (safer than outdoors!)

12. FeroxFemina

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Ok... I've made my decision.

Until my exams are over at the beginning of July I will work on building up my strength and stamina and then I'll do this Westway Sports Centre (London,UKI)

Skill number 1= Indoor rock climbing

13. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Sounds good!

A bit of physical stuff should provide a good balance to ur exams. If you do both in manageable portions, then you can gradually build up ur stamina i guess. :)

14. MickeyLee

Gold Member

kudos on your quest for awesomeness.

gyrokinesis is a great way to get into the shape you'll need to be in for all ya future adventures.

the movements focus on fluidity, balance and breathing. equipment needed is minimal; a yoga mat and one low stool, like a foot stool. classes and guides can be found online.

the workout is something like tai chi, yoga and pilates. very chillful vibe after the workout.

15. FeroxFemina

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
  16. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

Are you only looking for physical things or do you just want to try new stuff in general?

You could try exploring something like knitting, sewing, embroidery, or quilting. Perfect for those days when you have no energy, but still want to do SOMETHING.

Another option is to do volunteer work in an area that interests you.

Draft saved Draft deleted