War on Womens Reproductive Rights

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Usually the Women's Issues section doesn't get very political, but this thread did.
http://www.lpsg.org/236026-pregnant-woman-confined-against-her.html

A woman in Florida told her doctor she could'nt do the 'bed-rest' he prescribed because she had a job and young children at home. He decided her baby's rights outweighed hers and got a court order confining her to hospital. When of course she became upset, she lost the baby anyway, as well as her job and custody of her kids. She sued the doctor and hospital and lost.

If it had been Georgia, they might have decided to try her for murder as well.

GOP War on Women's Reproductive Rights

Proposed Georgia law would criminalize miscarriages

Doctor Gets Court Order to Confine Pregnant Woman Against Her Will | Change.org News

How can people think like this about females as if their own bodies do not belong to them? And what about the huge 25% of miscarriages that are not preventable? Will females be culled by such laws for their unfitness to breed? Will males with low sperm count be barred from marrying? What next?

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
How can people think like this about females as if their own bodies do not belong to them?

To be perfectly honest, I never really understood why men (beyond ones who are medical doctors) have much of a voice on this issue. We know that it takes a man and a woman to make a baby but the woman has much more to risk. Women have the ability to determine for themselves what to do in this case and it doesn't require any form of government regulation. However, if legislation has to get involved, they should bring this issue to a nationwide, woman's only vote and decide it once and for all.

FeroxFemina

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Why not prosecute people for farting? if you're going to make miscarriage illegal you might as well follow through on other natural biological occurrences.

See what BBW36 wrote: http://www.lpsg.org/236026-pregnant-woman-confined-against-her.html#post3345792

Miscarriage happens, it's a natural occurrence. It's terrible when it happens and the mother is not responsible.

I read about the proposed bill in Utah and how they wanted to pursue cases where the mother was deemed to be responsible for the miscarriage by doing something in particular, such as drinking during the pregnancy.

What will happen next? Someone won't be entitled to a medical procedure because at one time in their life they ate a burger and put their health at risk?

After a certain number of week (it varies from country to country) a fetus does have rights and abortion cannot be carried out (without due medical reason) and the mother (in my opinion) should not put herself and the baby at risk (e.g. by deciding to do something crazy like speeding on the motorway without a seatbelt (terrible example but all I can come up with right now)).

BUT, that said, if miscarriage is inevitably going to happen, the mothers health is the priority. A woman cannot be held accountable. She is not a walking incubator.

D_Rosalind Mussell

Sexy Member
Media
Usually the Women's Issues section doesn't get very political, but this thread did.
http://www.lpsg.org/236026-pregnant-woman-confined-against-her.html

A woman in Florida told her doctor she could'nt do the 'bed-rest' he prescribed because she had a job and young children at home. He decided her baby's rights outweighed hers and got a court order confining her to hospital. When of course she became upset, she lost the baby anyway, as well as her job and custody of her kids. She sued the doctor and hospital and lost.

If it had been Georgia, they might have decided to try her for murder as well.

GOP War on Women's Reproductive Rights

Proposed Georgia law would criminalize miscarriages

Doctor Gets Court Order to Confine Pregnant Woman Against Her Will | Change.org News

How can people think like this about females as if their own bodies do not belong to them? And what about the huge 25% of miscarriages that are not preventable? Will females be culled by such laws for their unfitness to breed? Will males with low sperm count be barred from marrying? What next?

Thanks for mentioning that thread and bringing this issue to the politics forum. I truly believe that this is an issue that ultimately affects everyone. I don't recall that story mentioning the woman's relationship with the father of her unborn child, but I gather he would be furious about this. This case sets a dangerous precedence that will allow other physicians to commit similar acts on people. Something has to be done somewhere, I hope she appeals and takes it to the supreme court.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Fox News reported that Franklin's office said he has introduced the bill each session since 2002 but it has never made it out of committee.
Last year he filed a bill to remove the word "victim" from statutes dealing with crimes such as rape, stalking, obscene telephone contact with a child and family violence and replace it with "accuser."
Chilling that a person like this can be elected and re-elected to office.

houtx48

Cherished Member
Media
The wacko Right are not going to be happy until the drive abortion into the back alleys of the 60's. The only ones they are going to be hurting are the poor because anyone with money will still be able to get a safe abortion legal or not. I always wondered why men thought they need stick their noses in this as much as they do.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
When I heard about the proposed law in Georgia, I wondered how that would happen. Would a woman have to stand trial regarding whether she behaved in a reckless way that may have contributed to the death of her fetus? If she was in an accident and lost the baby, would that be reckless endangerment or manslaughter? Would her diet and activity level be examined for signs of irresponsibility? Would she be considered more liable if she has health conditions that would make miscarriage more likely? Does that mean that only women without any risk factors should consider having children?

The proposed consequences of this law are so outrageous, it sounds like something that could only happen in fiction. I'm shocked that anyone would propose a law like this. Shocked.

D_Rosalind Mussell

Sexy Member
Media
Chilling that a person like this can be elected and re-elected to office.

I agree. People really need to do their homework on who they vote for. During the last presidential election John McCain said if he was elected he would work to overturn Roe vs. Wade. Granted, I saw this as a mere pandering and didn't like Sarah Palin anyway, but if he was my candidate of choice he would have lost my vote. Once a politician goes there I am no longer interested in anything else they have to say.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Last edited:

D_Rosalind Mussell

Sexy Member
Media
The wacko Right are not going to be happy until the drive abortion into the back alleys of the 60's. The only ones they are going to be hurting are the poor because anyone with money will still be able to get a safe abortion legal or not. I always wondered why men thought they need stick their noses in this as much as they do.

I agree. My mother worked in an ER before abortions were available and remembers a woman dying because she tried to self-abort with a wire coat hanger. She bled out and died within minutes of arriving at the hospital. We absolutely can not go back to this. Like you said, this will effect people of lower economic classes and there's no reason it should. Women's reproductive rights belong to all classes and legislation like this only draws the line between classes even deeper. As far as men go, they do need to stick there noses in this issue. This involves mothers, daughters, wives, sisters, aunts...every man has at least on of these people in their lives so there is a personal stake in this for the men as well.

D_Rosalind Mussell

Sexy Member
Media
When I heard about the proposed law in Georgia, I wondered how that would happen. Would a woman have to stand trial regarding whether she behaved in a reckless way that may have contributed to the death of her fetus? If she was in an accident and lost the baby, would that be reckless endangerment or manslaughter? Would her diet and activity level be examined for signs of irresponsibility? Would she be considered more liable if she has health conditions that would make miscarriage more likely? Does that mean that only women without any risk factors should consider having children?

The proposed consequences of this law are so outrageous, it sounds like something that could only happen in fiction. I'm shocked that anyone would propose a law like this. Shocked.

I'm right there with you, Petite. This is just unconscionable. Don't we have other more pressing issues at hand, like war? homelessness? economic hardship? It truly angers me that lawmakers are paid to write these ridiculous, shitty laws.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So does this belong here or in the *Woman's Issue* forum? It would appear they are the same thread in two forums.

That's a good question because it's both! It's a political issue because it involves the law and it's a women's issue because it's about reproductive rights. That's a hard call to make.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I decided to write a horror story about this. It's like the first step toward The Handmaid's Tale coming true.
The Handmaid's Tale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wow, we had the exact same thought! This seems like something out of speculative fiction. I was thinking about how a woman would have to behave while pregnant. She'd have to avoid riding in the car because of the risk of an accident and she would have to be concerned about documenting things like what she eats and whether she takes the right vitamins and supplements and gets the correct tests, in order to legally protect herself. Something like consuming too much spinach or liver plus taking vitamins with the proper amount of vitamin A could cause a miscarriage, or it could be something out of her control. Ew, and that would also mean that autopsies on miscarried fetuses would be necessary, to determine cause of death, if there would be a trial. Gross.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
That's a good question because it's both! It's a political issue because it involves the law and it's a women's issue because it's about reproductive rights. That's a hard call to make.

That's the reason I asked. If the first thread had been posted here first I would have moved it to woman's issues.If the other thread did not exist I would have felt it fine to leave here. This is a subject in the moderator forum as well and no one has come up with anything worthwhile to say about the question.
I'm fine with there being two threads if one is the political slant and one is discussed as more personal to woman's choices but I think it would be easier to get all viewpoints if it were all contained in one thread in one forum.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
That's the reason I asked. If the first thread had been posted here first I would have moved it to woman's issues.If the other thread did not exist I would have felt it fine to leave here. This is a subject in the moderator forum as well and no one has come up with anything worthwhile to say about the question.
I'm fine with there being two threads if one is the political slant and one is discussed as more personal to woman's choices but I think it would be easier to get all viewpoints if it were all contained in one thread in one forum.

Let's put the links to news articles and actual laws here in Politics. Let's talk about how it affects female living in the other Womens issues thread.

I really wish for there to be more female participation over here at Politics. Sometimes I feel like the only person in here without balls.

When my story is finally ready for publishing in a blog I will link it in Womens Issues. But if I hear more about stuff in the news, I'll link it here. Also anything to do with reproductive rights which does not involve women so much, such as forced sterilization of retarded kids, or ethnic minorities.

Last edited: