Warning: Malicious virus software, adware, trojans

Discussion in 'Straight Adult Websites' started by b.c., Mar 15, 2006.

1. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    I decided to post this here in this forum because of the many references to adult website links. You may decide this is spam or advertising for a particular product. It's just the facts as to what recently occurred on my computer. Take it as you like.

I don't even remember what I clicked on while browsing different sites. All I know is that suddenly several warning pop ups, generated by my virus software MacAfee and an anti-spyware program, Stopzilla, started coming up.

As fast as I could click on "delete file" and "block access" another warning message came up. Even tho I clicked "block access" a program called ALFACLEANER loaded up and started scanning my system within seconds.

I pulled the connection to the internet (it's a wireless usb module about the size of a box of Tic Tacs), and stopped the program by shutting it down in Task Manager. But in less than 15 seconds my computer had been infected with Alfacleaner (a rogue software), desktop hijacker.b (a particularly nasty and difficult to remove virus), something called unknown origin 2.6, and smitfraud.

Funny thing is I ran two complete scans with the MacAfee virus software/firewall immediately afterward, and it DIDN'T EVEN KNOW my machine was infected.

But luckily I also had Stopzilla. It knew and had stopped the programs dead in their tracks. Stopzilla first quarantined the files, halting their progress, then allowed me to remove them, cleanly from what I can tell.

After some research I learned that the virus removal product Alphacleaner loads up on an unsuspecting computer suddenly and without authorization and brings with it ITS OWN bundle of viruses, desktop hijacker and smithfraud, deliberately infecting the unsuspecting computer. The user, then suddenly finding himself infected with the viruses, panics into buying the full version of Alphacleaner. Or at least that's the plan...

I've read where people have had great difficulty in uninstalling Alphacleaner, and with ridding their computers of desktop hijacker. It guess it remains to be seen if Stopzilla did the job for me, permanently.

Now, you don't have to go buy Stopzilla. But get some kind of anti-spyware (except ALFACLEANER, of course) in addition to your regular virus software.

I'm glad I did.

2. BigLoudMouth

BigLoudMouth New Member

Important Bump :smile:

3. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    As an addendum to my original post, the anti-spyware i cited above did indeed do a thorough job of completely ridding my machine of the "infestation". Haven't had a bug since.

Draft saved Draft deleted