Warren Buffet's gift

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by madame_zora, Jun 27, 2006.

1. madame_zora

Gold Member

It may be easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to make it to heaven, but here's a guy who's giving it away now so that the season of giving may be his and not his inheritors'.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6420AP_WA_Gates_Foundation_Buffett.html

On Monday, Buffett said he wasn't leaving the bulk of his riches to his children because he is "not an enthusiast for dynastic wealth, particularly when the alternative is 6 billion people having that much poorer hands than we have in life having a chance to benefit from the money."

I love this heartwarming shit. What other reason could there be for earning absurd amounts of money, but to put it to good use? Rock on guy, you just made a real difference.

2. Gisella

Gold Member

Yeh Mme Zora...

I went to sleep late last night was sooo excited by all of that all day long, after Charlie Rose interview with the 3 other were showing more interviews...and when u get involve with this kind of work u at some point u want just to live for it..I do! bcause is my passion in life! And everything in comparision has no weight at all and to improve individuals lives in many situations that is so simple in rich country and people take for granted...

Omg...Buffs is such a real guy...he just know how to make money and invest the best way! And about that dinasty wealth thing..o man...is just logical to me and what u are suppose to do with wealth!

3. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Zora--thanks for highlighting this here. We needed some really GOOD news.

Buffet and the Gates are truly amazing people. With Bill Gates turning over day-to-day operations of MicroSoft to work on his Gates Foundation (which strives to make schools better), I am interested to see what changes they can, in fact, effect.

Buffett's gift to the Gates Foundation is a nice follow up to a 2-part school special that Oprah did with the gates a few months ago. Oprah is also a gem. As far a charities go, she covers 100% of all the administrative costs (salaries, overhead, etc.) of her Angel Network so that EVERY dime you give actually reaches someone in need. I know of NO other charity that can say that or even attempts to.

These people are examples of self-made million- and billionaires giving back. It's a nice change.

4. madame_zora

Gold Member

Gotta plug ol' Bill C here too:

http://www.clintonfoundation.org/index.htm

For a guy who will 'go down' being known as the blowjob president, he sure is putting his heart into trying to make a difference in the world. There ARE leaders in the world worth following, just not blindly. Hell, he even got Bush Sr. off his dead ass, and why not? He was just making himself and his dynasty more money with the Carlyle Group before Bill knocked on his door, surely they're all set for life by now.

Rich people have a unique opportunity to show what they're really made of, they don't have the issues of supporting themselves that the rest of us have.
    These should be our inspirations, not the shitbags who can only think of more and more for themsleves. That Clinton overcame his personal opinion of such a man for the greater good of the world still astounds me.

5. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Not to mention that Billy's personal fortune shrank significantly just before, during, and shortly after his impeachment. Have you seen the figures regarding his legal fees for that whole fiasco? (Not to mention how much of MY tax money was spent to do nothing more than find out whether Monnie does her laundry from time to time...)

It is good to see that a few rich folks actually do something good once in a while. Philanthropy is an almost lost art.

Draft saved Draft deleted