Warwick Avenue

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_ScaredLittleBoy, May 9, 2008.

1. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

2. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Why on earth do you think she didn't write it?

Seriously, SLB - :wtf:

A simple google will tell you that she did, by the way.

3. B_ScaredLittleBoy

Because Mercy was "co-written"

Well, I like Duffy and the song even more now. Even though typing 'Duffy warwick avenue written by' did not yield any answers.

Edit...

a song written by Duffy herself, along with Jimmy Hogarth and Eg White.

Duffy - Warwick Avenue — Media — AngryApe

Someone writing a song themselves and some writing a song with other people are two different things.

I can believe she had other people writing or helping to write the songs for her; the songs on her album are mostly hit and miss. I just like this one song.

4. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

All the blurb I read on her describes her as a singer / songwriter - her songs are not credited to someone else - QED...

Please answer this question - if Prince came out with a song (let's say back in the late 80s) that was co-written would you automatically assume that all of his other songs were penned by someone else?

If you look at this page you will see that all the songs on the album (bar Rockferry and Mercy) are credit to her.

5. B_ScaredLittleBoy

Well apparently Eg White has co-writing credits on the album (Wikipedia).

And Jimmy Hogarth is listed as Producer/Writer of Warwick Avenue on his site:

Jimmy Hogarth

None of Prince's songs are co-written. But with regard to Duffy: I got the impression that Warwick Avenue wasn't written by her (at least not fully)

I also read that Shiver 'by' Natalie Imbruglia was written by Eg White...I saw her on TV talking about it as though she wrote it and making up an inspiration for it. I just think its nice to acknowledge the writers or co-writers of a song.

Anyway, that's all I wanted to know :tongue:

6. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Suddenly, when challenged, the boy can use the internet! It seems, from the varying evidence, someone is being duplicitous somewhere. It doesn't change the fact that you made an assumption about her based on something to which you are not alluding.

I didn't say Prince's songs were co-written I asked if he had one song that credited another writer would you then assume that all his songs were collaborations? A question you failed to answer.

7. B_ScaredLittleBoy

That depends on what his follow up was like. If there was a discrepancy and the co-written song was better or worse than his own follow up then I would begin to wonder.

And it seems to me like obviously the popular view, perhaps being touted by Duffy or at least her 'people' is that she wrote all the songs. I can see why people do that; its more conducive to sales. But it would be nice to mention the writers and co-writers involved.

FYI: I felt Warwick Avenue was better than Mercy. So much so that I thought someone else wrote it for her. Not keen on Mercy :tongue:

Draft saved Draft deleted