Was de-segregation a bad thing for blacks?

Wyldgusechaz

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In part anyways?

Quoting Bill Cosby and Alvin Poussaint: "For all the woes of segregation, there were some good things to come out of it. One thing that it forced us to take care of ourselves. When restaurants, laundries,hotels, groceries, and clothing stores were segregated, black people ran their own. Black life insurance companies and banks thrived, as well as funeral homes.....Such successes provided jobs and strength to black economic well being. They also gave black people that gratifying sense of an interdependent community."

They make some sense.

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
In part anyways?

Quoting Bill Cosby and Alvin Poussaint: "For all the woes of segregation, there were some good things to come out of it. One thing that it forced us to take care of ourselves. When restaurants, laundries,hotels, groceries, and clothing stores were segregated, black people ran their own. Black life insurance companies and banks thrived, as well as funeral homes.....Such successes provided jobs and strength to black economic well being. They also gave black people that gratifying sense of an interdependent community."

They make some sense.

I think your thread title focuses way too much on the "some good things" part of the quote and disregards the "all the woes" part.

The good things described came with a heady price, not the least of which was state-sanctioned discrimination, limited unequal rights and taught generations of Americans that it was okay to hate someone just because they're different and that white=better.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wyldgusechaz, why is it that your threads are more inflammatory than inquisitive? Are you genuinely curious or do you just like to be a rabble rouser? Don't you have any black friends of whom you can ask these trite questions?

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Wyldgusechaz, why is it that your threads are more inflammatory than inquisitive? Are you genuinely curious or do you just like to be a rabble rouser? Don't you have any black friends of whom you can ask these trite questions?

That assumes that he has friends.

jakeatolla

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The Toronto District School Board has recently decided to create
an all Black School. Not sure if this is progress or not.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
It just might be that there are a few, rather tiny, advantages of segregation. Because whenever you gain something ... you lose something.
So we can know that there are certain losses, in principle, before looking into the matter in detail.
That said, there's absolutely no way that the move towards integration was not good and absolutely necessary for the entire American society, as much for white as for black people.
And there's no way that there has not been a net gain, a very substantial one, already.
Problem is that integration's not completed yet.
But over time, it will be.
And the sooner, the better.
I find the question odd, I must say.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
i think my opinion of integration depends on the intention. a few decades ago blacks were segregated because we were thought of as diseased, inferior and unequal. as a black man i'll be the first to say that black children and teenagers are disproportionately FAR behind in educational level/skills, whatever you wanna call it and, sad as it sounds, we may need our own school just to catch up to everybody. i think it depends on the intention of the integration. if we found that girls were performing worse than men i wouldn't oppose a separate school to get them caught up. its the same thing here. again, honestly i feel like part of our problem in the black community is black kids who are passed through grades literally just for showing up. many make it through high-school without reading past a 5th grade level. maybe we need to separate some of them until they can catch up to everybody else

DGirl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This is REALLY a SILLY question for the year 2008.

Why?
Well, we have Asians, Hispanic and MANY other races groups in many places of the world. Why wonder about Black people now? We have way other issues in this day and age to worry about..

D_one and done

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
the gap in between these schools also hurts those students in these schools who do value education and get good grades because even if they take all of the highest classes their school has to offer and get good grades they are still very ill prepared for college level work. thats not a very uncommon story around here. its as if its a trap either way you look at it.

Wyldgusechaz

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The quote was part of a larger article in the Atlantic Monthly on Bill Cosby. It touched on his *Pound cake* speech.

Pound Cake speech - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of my *trite* issues is what happened to the black carpenters, roofers, concrete masons, mechanics, grocers, and all the tradesmen and business men that had to serve the segregated black community? I am not raising the issue, 2 rather esteemed black men raised the issue. I am just asking questions.

How many jobs were lost to whites due to de-seg? Its a fair question to ask.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The quote was part of a larger article in the Atlantic Monthly on Bill Cosby. It touched on his *Pound cake* speech.

Pound Cake speech - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of my *trite* issues is what happened to the black carpenters, roofers, concrete masons, mechanics, grocers, and all the tradesmen and business men that had to serve the segregated black community? I am not raising the issue, 2 rather esteemed black men raised the issue. I am just asking questions.

How many jobs were lost to whites due to de-seg? Its a fair question to ask.

this is a valid point. for people who are racist (and unlikely to change that), desegregation just means they have to read black applicants resumes before throwing them out, and they have to trade public lynchings for "harmless black jokes"