Was Ferraro right?

gjorg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
What if Barrack Obama were a white 42 year old junior senator from Chicago? Everything the same just a color difference! Where would he be in this race?

JoeMN

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Shame on you for trying to bring reason into an emotional argument.

asfan87

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
sure as hell wouldnt have won, any of the democratic/black majority states...SC GA MS AL etc. but hillary wouldnt be anywhere if she hadnt been sucking bill clintons cock (or pretending to in public anyways) barack has been in elected office since 1997 clinton since 2001. the joke really is that barack has gotten 1 piece of legislation of his own through and the hizzle had gotten shit through even before she was in elected office so go figure. hillary is a sleasy bitch obama is a sophmoric idealistic little boy, then theres a corpse running for the GOP nod, and oh yeah nader again...i'm not voting!

gjorg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
sure as hell wouldnt have won, any of the democratic/black majority states...SC GA MS AL etc. but hillary wouldnt be anywhere if she hadnt been sucking bill clintons cock (or pretending to in public anyways) barack has been in elected office since 1997 clinton since 2001. the joke really is that barack has gotten 1 piece of legislation of his own through and the hizzle had gotten shit through even before she was in elected office so go figure. hillary is a sleasy bitch obama is a sophmoric idealistic little boy, then theres a corpse running for the GOP nod, and oh yeah nader again...i'm not voting!

Your not old enough anyway.:smile:

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Everything the same just a color difference!

I maintain that this is impossible. Except possibly right at birth and for a few moments after, race isn't just the color of your skin -- it's also the accumulation of life experiences that come with that color.

A white 42-year-old junior senator would have been treated differently as a child, would have formed different bonds and friendships, would have had different learning and work opportunities, and would not have grown up to become the same person that Barack Obama is.

Neither race nor gender nor sexual orientation -- nor for that matter, disability, physical stature, social status, native language, or a host of other traits -- is a human Lego that can be popped out and interchanged.

Ferraro may be right in saying that a white male senator wouldn't have gotten so far in this race -- and indeed, we saw both Biden and Dodd fare poorly; but she deeply misunderstands the pervasiveness of race by the nature of her question. Would a black Geraldine Ferraro have asked it?

gjorg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I maintain that this is impossible. Except possibly right at birth and for a few moments after, race isn't just the color of your skin -- it's also the accumulation of life experiences that come with that color.

A white 42-year-old junior senator would have been treated differently as a child, would have formed different bonds and friendships, would have had different learning and work opportunities, and would not have grown up to become the same person that Barack Obama is.

Neither race nor gender nor sexual orientation -- nor for that matter, disability, physical stature, social status, native language, or a host of other traits -- is a human Lego that can be popped out and interchanged.

Ferraro may be right in saying that a white male senator wouldn't have gotten so far in this race -- and indeed, we saw both Biden and Dodd fare poorly; but she deeply misunderstands the pervasiveness of race by the nature of her question. Would a black Geraldine Ferraro have asked it?

No, of course it won't or can't happen but IF it did! I am just saying A white obama who acts like the real Obama. In this question it is the only difference.Same views on health care,the war,economics etc...

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
No, of course it won't or can't happen but IF it did! I am just saying A white obama who acts like the real Obama. In this question it is the only difference.Same views on health care,the war,economics etc...

Obama has the black vote? Really? Why is that? One of the greatest mysteries known to man. :biggrin1:

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
Yes she was correct. Hillary would have won South Carolina and the rest of the south by carrying a large majority of black voters. It's plain and simple and can't be denied.

Why is one wrong to suggest that most black people support Obama because he's black.

amhersthungboi

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Why is one wrong to suggest that most black people support Obama because he's black.

Exactly. Black voters in Southern states are allowed to vote for him because he is Black and that trend is un-problematic. But god forbid anyone else mention that he's Black.

Typical Obama camp ... listen to what I say, but you are part of the problem in Washington if you question it. Follow the rules, but the rules don't apply to me because I'm special. Vote on race, but you are not allowed to bring race, or religion, into this election.

So what can we question Obama on, if not his use of flowery rhetoric, his violation of the campaign rules in Florida, or his racially divisive politics? BAH!

No to answer Ferraro's question: No. Look at John Edwards in 2004 ... DISTANT second in the primaries, and a lead balloon of a running mate later on.

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
Typical Obama camp ... listen to what I say, but you are part of the problem in Washington if you question it. Follow the rules, but the rules don't apply to me because I'm special.
The irony I find in this is that it's coming from the same camp that's constantly bashing the "current administration" for having the same arrogant attitude: "You're either with us or against us"... sound familiar? :rolleyes:

amhersthungboi

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
The irony I find in this is that it's coming from the same camp that's constantly bashing the "current administration" for having the same arrogant attitude: "You're either with us or against us"... sound familiar? :rolleyes:

Exactly ... but shhhhh not so loud! If the Cult of Obama hears you critiquing him fairly (as should happen in an election) you'll be branded a low-brow racist closet Republican who is trying to drag this country down. We should just let him cake walk to the nomination without questioning him at all!

Bottom line: An undistinguished half term in the Senate (with one of the worst attendance records in the Senate) does not qualify one to be president, it qualifies one to justify why they ran for Senate in the first place:

Barack Obama missed 207 of 1127 votes (17%) since Jan 6, 2005. By contrast, Clinton has missed about 6%.

Obama's attendance is classified as "exceedingly poor".

On the Veteran's Affairs Committee his attendance is below 50% and is the second worst on the Committee.

Despite his radical opposition to Iraq, as the chair of the sub-committee on Europe he has never ONCE discussed NATO intervention in Iraq. His excuse is that he's too busy running for president. (Attendance aside, what does this say of his foreign policy qualifications?)

If running for president makes him too busy to do his job, wait until he IS president and has far more to do. Bottom line: Grossly under-qualified ego-maniac who has gotten where he is based on one good "arm chair quarterback" speech in 2002 and another in 2004.

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
What if Barrack Obama were a white 42 year old junior senator from Chicago? Everything the same just a color difference! Where would he be in this race?

He would have gotten just where Edwards, Biden and the other white guys got. No one will admit it but his race is playing a big part in this. More than anything else, people are afraid to be labeled "racists". The SNL skit about the debates and the media's treatment of Obama was on target. They are treating him with kid gloves because they are afraid they will be called racists if they do not kiss up to him. It is pretty clear that the media are afraid to scrutinize Obama too heavily; this would not be the case if Obama was white. Everyone has to walk on eggshells around him because of the race issue. This is not his fault but at the end of the day he knows that his race will give him some measure of help in this election.