Was i in the wrong?

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
People who respond poorly to directness are part of the reason some people employ ghosting. I'm ghosting someone right now. My instincts say not to say good bye, so I'm not. He's three unanswered texts in. My read receipts are always set to allow the other party to know I can see their messages. If his phone is capable of seeing those, he must know by now I'm not speaking to him anymore. Maybe he'll freak out and pursue harder. If he does, I'll let him know I don't want to get to know him anymore. Maybe that will spark him to ask why. If so, I'll let him know I think we are not looking for the same kind of relationship. If that doesn't end it, I'll tell him the whole truth. If that doesn't end it, he's crazy. But hopefully, he'll just go away. I'm not the one for him, because he is certainly not for me. Too bad. He was fantastically pretty. In case I forget, his name is saved to my phone as Firstname is Bullshit.

wnjcwjkk

Legendary Member
Media
I think you were totally in the right for texting and apologizing. That's just what you do when you may have offended somebody, whether you're right or wrong, apologize and try to explain yourself better. There's rarely a good reason not to do that, in my opinion.

Ego gets in the way, I think, in dating, a lot. It's just an awkward thing for both parties, because it's like a mutual job interview. You feel like you need to establish your worth, while analyzing them for what you're looking for, and feeling like you're being judged. Something goes wrong, there's no chemistry, people are going to feel like they are flawed. It can be a real blow to the ego.

If he's preoccupied with his ex, it's probably a good thing it came out now. I can't say you are wrong for saying that, because you were just being honest, and maybe it's something he needed to hear, to learn something about himself for when he laces his boots and gets back in the ring with his next opponent.

Sounds like he didn't learn from it and it was really immature to overreact and hang up on you. Sometimes people just blow my mind, because it's usually pretty easy to handle situations and be likeable, maybe not attractive or dateable, but anybody who can't be likable on a first date needs to really examine their personality and the way they relate to people. So when people overreact in an immature way like that, they are probably very self centered and not ready to find a mutually positive relationship yet. But like I said, ego gets in the way.

I'm sure there are loads of great guys online, and you never know where or when you'll find yours. People will bring their baggage along, so just be open and understanding, allow for some flaws and mistakes, be honest, and trust your gut.

Reactions: rtg

xnxxxv

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hi all, here's another page to add to the sad chapter of my dating life haha. The lovely @nailz convinced me to give Internet dating another crack. I decided to just download tinder again since that's easy and my brother met two of his girlfriends on there.

Anyway I started talking to this guy last night. He asked for my number after we chatted a bit. Then we were texting all day and he called me tonight. We were talking for about an hour. I hate talking about exes... but he brought his up a few times. They were together for 6 years and broke up 14 months ago Cos she cheated. One time he tells me that I say "fair enough" a lot and he'd prefer if I didn't say it because his ex used to say it a lot. Red flags went off there. I brushed it off.

Then we were talking about the last time we spoke to our exes (also not my choice of convo) and he legit went on for about 30 seconds (which felt like an eternity) about how he didn't understand why his ex cheated on him. You could tell he was mad by his voice, which was a clear indication he was still upset over it. He actually even said that he hated her. He finished his rant by saying "people tell me that I'm not over but I so am". Then I told him that I really don't think he's over it, because if he was he wouldn't have just gone on about it and how he talked really seemed like he wasn't over it. He was like "are you serious?". I said I was going to go because I felt uncomfortable talking about it. Then he kinda argued with me and ended up hanging up on me.

I ended up having no self respect and doing the weak thing and texting him apologising and tried explaining how it made me feel. I actually ended up having anxiety attack :( but didn't tell him that. Then he says to me that he doesn't think I should be in a relationship and that acting like that on the phone is enough to scare any guy off and I scared him. And he doesn't want to get feelings for me only to be "fucked in the ass after". Then busts out the "good luck on tinder".

Was I really in the wrong??? Or did he just fly off the handle because he didn't like being caught out? Or a mix of both? I did tell him that I'm blunt and have a no bullshit approach to things.

No, he brought up the subject, if he didn't want your opinion on it why make it a point of conversation. He just wanted you to agree with him and had a tantrum when you didn't say what he wanted to hear.

Also what you did by texting isn't a sign of a lack of self respect it shows you're a nice person since you care about the feelings of a total arsehole.

Also I've not read the rest of the comments so if Im just echoing what others have said it's purely coincidence.

Englishmansabroad

Expert Member
Media
Hi all, here's another page to add to the sad chapter of my dating life haha. The lovely @nailz convinced me to give Internet dating another crack. I decided to just download tinder again since that's easy and my brother met two of his girlfriends on there.

Anyway I started talking to this guy last night. He asked for my number after we chatted a bit. Then we were texting all day and he called me tonight. We were talking for about an hour. I hate talking about exes... but he brought his up a few times. They were together for 6 years and broke up 14 months ago Cos she cheated. One time he tells me that I say "fair enough" a lot and he'd prefer if I didn't say it because his ex used to say it a lot. Red flags went off there. I brushed it off.

Then we were talking about the last time we spoke to our exes (also not my choice of convo) and he legit went on for about 30 seconds (which felt like an eternity) about how he didn't understand why his ex cheated on him. You could tell he was mad by his voice, which was a clear indication he was still upset over it. He actually even said that he hated her. He finished his rant by saying "people tell me that I'm not over but I so am". Then I told him that I really don't think he's over it, because if he was he wouldn't have just gone on about it and how he talked really seemed like he wasn't over it. He was like "are you serious?". I said I was going to go because I felt uncomfortable talking about it. Then he kinda argued with me and ended up hanging up on me.

I ended up having no self respect and doing the weak thing and texting him apologising and tried explaining how it made me feel. I actually ended up having anxiety attack :( but didn't tell him that. Then he says to me that he doesn't think I should be in a relationship and that acting like that on the phone is enough to scare any guy off and I scared him. And he doesn't want to get feelings for me only to be "fucked in the ass after". Then busts out the "good luck on tinder".

Was I really in the wrong??? Or did he just fly off the handle because he didn't like being caught out? Or a mix of both? I did tell him that I'm blunt and have a no bullshit approach to things.

You are too nice lovely lady, that is the only problem XXX.

wnjcwjkk

Legendary Member
Media
People who respond poorly to directness are part of the reason some people employ ghosting. I'm ghosting someone right now. My instincts say not to say good bye, so I'm not. He's three unanswered texts in. My read receipts are always set to allow the other party to know I can see their messages. If his phone is capable of seeing those, he must know by now I'm not speaking to him anymore. Maybe he'll freak out and pursue harder. If he does, I'll let him know I don't want to get to know him anymore. Maybe that will spark him to ask why. If so, I'll let him know I think we are not looking for the same kind of relationship. If that doesn't end it, I'll tell him the whole truth. If that doesn't end it, he's crazy. But hopefully, he'll just go away. I'm not the one for him, because he is certainly not for me. Too bad. He was fantastically pretty. In case I forget, his name is saved to my phone as Firstname is Bullshit.

Idk about that, but I suppose it depends on the situation, and you have your reasons.

I know it's probably different (generally) for guys and girls. Obviously making a big generalization here, but girls pursuing something past it's "expiration date" can be seen as clingy, but also maybe an ego boost. But guys doing it can be seen as desperate or creepy.

But us guys can have fragile egos, too. And the dating world is hell enough as it is, with the rejection and anxiety and constant introspection and self examination. Might it be better to find a way to let him down easy first, and then employ the ghosting if he doesn't take the rejection?

Or hell, maybe ghosting is the better technique. Then, he can fill in the blank with whatever story protects his ego best lol.

I've had a girl just suddenly quit responding to me before, I don't think I was being creepy, but might have come off a bit desperate. I was just really into her, and we got along so well, and she was just my perfect type: gorgeous, sweet, soft, shy, got my sense of humor, a little nerdy, sexy in that hot librarian way. Which is an INCREDIBLY hard type for me to actually find and meet. Basically, had it pretty bad for her, and thought we'd be so good together, I'd treat her so good, all that.

We'd text and talk often, just in a friend way, but there was enough flirtation reciprocated to make me feel like I was making progress. Then, one summer, maybe I got too flirtatious (not in a weird sexual way) and she just quit responding. Maybe she had started dating somebody. We lived about 20 hours apart, btw.

And of course, I was so hard up, I sent several texts over the course of a couple weeks. Probably just like 6 or 7, but still, should've got the message or let it go, sooner. But sometimes, not so easy to take off the blinders when you've got it bad lol.

But looking back, at the time when it was all over, it made me feel kinda pathetic, desperate, creepy. Even though it really wasn't that bad, I might analyze too hard, but it kinda, for me, gave the whole thing an extra layer, or multiple layers, of rejection, shame, negative introspection and sense of self worth, etc.

Got a message from her a month or so later, just "I'm sorry" and of course, I played it off as no big deal "You've got nothing to apologize for! Hope your _______ is going well!" And we talked for a little bit. I'm definitely not gonna guilt trip or play the self pity card. But it might have spared me a lot of that just to say she doesn't think we should talk for a while, she's dating somebody, she's not interested in me like that, or something

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Might it be better to find a way to let him down easy first, and then employ the ghosting if he doesn't take the rejection?
No. Male stalkers are dangerous, and mine run the risk of being shot by myself, or my ex, or my next door neighbor. Once someone knows my full real name, I'm extremely easy to find. I own property in three states, but if you know which state I live in, you know which address is my abode. No, dating is not the same for men and women. It is much easier for an unbalanced man to hurt a woman for rejecting him than it is for a nutso woman to hurt a man who has rejected her. You need to take YOUR emotions out of affairs that do not concern you, trust my judgement and experience, and know that my decisions are rational and mature. Perhaps the ghostee would not harass me if let down gently. But probably, he would.

Do I just vanish on every man I'm done with? No. Actually, I don't usually get done. I usually can keep a man as a friend after romance doesn't work out, (or casual sex burns out) because friendship is where I always start, and "not working out" is sometimes mutual. If I don't want to be friends because the reason it hasn't worked out is I do not like him as a person anymore, I will say something kind. This is ALWAYS 100% OF THE TIME rejected and I am forced to elaborate. When I enumerate my complaints, it is never something he wants to be told about himself. I am diplomatic, but honest. This is ALWAYS 100% OF THE TIME rejected and I am forced to elaborate. So, I repeat myself using concise, blunt language, and attempt to disengage. Most men are done at that point. To them, I'm a crazy bitch, and a whore, because I've told the truths other women are too polite to utter, and I've made him cum in a way he will miss for the rest of his existence.

When I want a man, even if I also want three or four others, he is made to feel like the last man in the world, and my attention is like sunlight burning through fog on a cold morning in spring. My seduction is multifaceted and absolute. I have been accused of deliberately breaking hearts. Not so. My interest is genuine, my affection is real, but not every man can keep it forever. The more of himself he tries to hide from me in the beginning, the more likely he will be invested in me when I find the ugly part I can't live with, and leave.

But that's life. I have loved men who wouldn't stay. I have liked men who didn't choose me. You eat some ice cream, sing some sad songs, cry in the shower, talk shit with a friend, and get over it. If you're healthy. Sometimes, my instincts tell me a man is not healthy. In that case, I just disappear. I know best how to lead my life. You know nothing of my experiences but what I choose to tell you. When I want dating advice, I will seek it. Thank you for your concern.

I will offer this. No one can ever actually give you closure. Closure comes from within.

ETA: In the case of the man referenced in this thread, I had no obligation to him. We had not yet met in person. He was being disingenuous about who he was as a man, and what he wanted from me. I thought we were the same kind of people, but his facade crumbled under my intense scrutiny. He maintained, but I could see through him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tight_N_Juicy

wnjcwjkk

Legendary Member
Media
OP, I just recently came across another of your threads, about the baseball guy and similar guys you seem to be coming across on Tinder. Man, I'm sorry dating recently has been difficult for you. I definitely understand why a girl would ghost one of those creeps. Telling you to blow him on a second "date". Some game he's got

I'm recently out of a LTR, not quite ready or looking to date just yet, I'll enjoy my independence and just work on myself at the moment. But, I don't even know where to begin again, with dating lol. I know this isn't true at all, but I can't help this feeling that, now I'm in my 30's, it's going to be so much harder just to find potential candidates, like all the quality girls have already been scooped up. I've never been good at stepping out and meeting new people, but over the past couple years I've learned so much and gotten more comfortable talking to people, not so much approaching them. So, I'm not even sure how I'm gonna go about that, but like I said, I'm gonna take this time to work on myself. That oughta keep me pretty damn busy lol, I'm definitely a fixer upper!

Sounds like there's just a larger ratio of guys who try those apps just looking for a quick and easy lay, with our Internet, on demand, fast food, smartphone, digital, instant gratification society, But I know there's decent guys out there.

Idk if you have tried or not, but some of those other sites geared towards finding love as opposed to hooking up have a lot more detailed information you give, might could help you find somebody with more substance or compatibility?

Just keep a tight hold on your optimism, and never lose it, because no matter how many d-bags you gotta wade through, or frustrating it gets, it's ALWAYS just around the corner from you, you just have to turn that corner and be looking. It's like, the rest of your life is out there waiting for you right now. And he doesn't know it yet, either, but he's looking for you. So, keep faith, have hope, and love yourself

wnjcwjkk

Legendary Member
Media
No. Male stalkers are dangerous, and mine run the risk of being shot by myself, or my ex, or my next door neighbor. Once someone knows my full real name, I'm extremely easy to find. I own property in three states, but if you know which state I live in, you know which address is my abode. No, dating is not the same for men and women. It is much easier for an unbalanced man to hurt a woman for rejecting him than it is for a nutso woman to hurt a man who has rejected her. You need to take YOUR emotions out of affairs that do not concern you, trust my judgement and experience, and know that my decisions are rational and mature. Perhaps the ghostee would not harass me if let down gently. But probably, he would.

Do I just vanish on every man I'm done with? No. Actually, I don't usually get done. I usually can keep a man as a friend after romance doesn't work out, (or casual sex burns out) because friendship is where I always start, and "not working out" is sometimes mutual. If I don't want to be friends because the reason it hasn't worked out is I do not like him as a person anymore, I will say something kind. This is ALWAYS 100% OF THE TIME rejected and I am forced to elaborate. When I enumerate my complaints, it is never something he wants to be told about himself. I am diplomatic, but honest. This is ALWAYS 100% OF THE TIME rejected and I am forced to elaborate. So, I repeat myself using concise, blunt language, and attempt to disengage. Most men are done at that point. To them, I'm a crazy bitch, and a whore, because I've told the truths other women are too polite to utter, and I've made him cum in a way he will miss for the rest of his existence.

When I want a man, even if I also want three or four others, he is made to feel like the last man in the world, and my attention is like sunlight burning through fog on a cold morning in spring. My seduction is multifaceted and absolute. I have been accused of deliberately breaking hearts. Not so. My interest is genuine, my affection is real, but not every man can keep it forever. The more of himself he tries to hide from me in the beginning, the more likely he will be invested in me when I find the ugly part I can't live with, and leave.

But that's life. I have loved men who wouldn't stay. I have liked men who didn't choose me. You eat some ice cream, sing some sad songs, cry in the shower, talk shit with a friend, and get over it. If you're healthy. Sometimes, my instincts tell me a man is not healthy. In that case, I just disappear. I know best how to lead my life. You know nothing of my experiences but what I choose to tell you. When I want dating advice, I will seek it. Thank you for your concern.

I will offer this. No one can ever actually give you closure. Closure comes from within.

ETA: In the case of the man referenced in this thread, I had no obligation to him. We had not yet met in person. He was being disingenuous about who he was as a man, and what he wanted from me. I thought we were the same kind of people, but his facade crumbled under my intense scrutiny. He maintained, but I could see through him.

Oh, okay. Yeah, stalking is a completely different story. To be clear, My post probably wasn't, I wasn't giving you specific advice. You know your situation and absolutely have your reasons, which I know nothing about. I was just speaking in terms of general advice for people who lose interest in early dating stages, whether to just stop all interaction, or to just tell them you're dating somebody else, or whatever polite letdown, and ask them to stop messaging. Sorry, I might have missed something in a post if it sounded like I was advising your specific situation. Didn't mean to offend or presume

You bring up a good point, and another thing that concerns me about these online apps and social media, is how much information people can get access to, and you never know what their intentions are, really looking for a relationship, just looking to get laid, or other more sinister motives, con artists, or worse. We definitely have to all be really careful and aware in our online culture, where people often aren't who they present themselves to be. I've been messaged on here a couple times by really good looking women, that I'm sure a quick Google Image search would prove they aren't who they say. And I'm sure any woman on this site gets those kinda messages on a regular basis. Sometimes makes me kinda anxious to think about how anybody anywhere in the world can be out there lurking on the Internet, looking for any advantage they can, to get over on people

someperson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
No. Male stalkers are dangerous, and mine run the risk of being shot by myself, or my ex, or my next door neighbor. Once someone knows my full real name, I'm extremely easy to find. I own property in three states, but if you know which state I live in, you know which address is my abode.
you live on the east coast that is a good start based on your post cut off and login to the site that was too easy

new york is my next guess since that has the biggest city on the east coast

NYC would be the next guess or with in 30 miles

Last edited:

sodominsane

Legendary Member
Media

nope ya did nothing wrong....but I kinda like ya so my opinion might be based

side note.....the thing with on line dating...is there are plusses and minuses

the biggest minus is you can't use your real life filter.....that filter includes body language...conversational rhythm....facial expressions....theses are all things we learned to pick up in a second

say your at a party....maybe 4 out of five people you can dismiss due to lack of chemistry or overall weirdness in the seconds

you may have not even realized you dismissed them..you just don't even start that knds dialog

online you got to kiss alot more frogs....and talk to them forvway longer to get a feel for there personality

another big minus...for me at least...i am way less charming on line than in person

the Plus....in real life most interactions start out as innocent small talk...and progresses to normal convo....then to slight flirting...then heavier flirting.....

in real life you might start friendly convo and get interested in someone only to find out...they are in a relationship...or are leaving town in 2 days....or otherwise unavailable

online at least you know they are looking for relationship

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sorry, I might have missed something in a post if it sounded like I was advising your specific situation. Didn't mean to offend or presume
It was the very post you quoted. Here. I'll put it in bold.

People who respond poorly to directness are part of the reason some people employ ghosting. I'm ghosting someone right now. My instincts say not to say good bye, so I'm not.

One should always honor instincts.

And you shouldn't take ghosting so hard, just like any form of rejection. Does it mean she found you creepy? Does it mean she thinks you'll freak out? Maybe. Or maybe she's just cowardly or mean. You can never know. This is why I said closure only ever comes from within. I mean, even if you get a kiss off, was it honest, or was she blowing smoke up your ass on the way out? You have to make your own peace.

Reactions: hunghorse30

wnjcwjkk

Legendary Member
Media
It was the very post you quoted. Here. I'll put it in bold.

One should always honor instincts.

And you shouldn't take ghosting so hard, just like any form of rejection. Does it mean she found you creepy? Does it mean she thinks you'll freak out? Maybe. Or maybe she's just cowardly or mean. You can never know. This is why I said closure only ever comes from within. I mean, even if you get a kiss off, was it honest, or was she blowing smoke up your ass on the way out? You have to make your own peace.

Again, wasn't speaking to your particular scenario, was talking about ghosting in general, as a response in dating scenarios. But I apologized since you seemed defensive. Typing in caps conveys an aggressive or defensive tone.

But thanks for the advice. I'm definitely not worried about that anymore. This was some years back. Multiple dates and relationships since. You learn to deal with these things as you mature. But, I think that's an issue a lot of people have, particularly in online relationships. Without a lot of the social cues to pick up on, it's basically a blank slate that you (again, the general "you") project your own self analysis onto. Because you never really know what the other person is thinking, dating is kinda like a mirror that people judge their self worth through the responses they get.

Sounds like the guy in the OP date is (probably unknowingly) projecting and working through the falling apart of his previous relationship, through the context of his current online dating: looking for reassurance that it wasn't his fault, or that he is in fact over it, focusing on little, inconsequential things that RTG does or says that remind him of his ex.

So, in that sense, I think it is best for him that his attention is called to this behavior (the "mirror" metaphor, reflecting back to him how he is being perceived), maybe he'll recognize what he's doing, that he needs to first come to terms with himself as a single, independent man outside of the context of that relationship, before he is ready to pursue another. That's exactly why I'm not interested in dating at the moment, I need to get used to being on my own again, figure out what exactly I'm looking for in a relationship.