Was I too harsh?

wingnut84

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I was on craigslist perusing posts and I came upon this one.

Here’s the deal guys – I’m the step-dad of a very attractive 21 year old Caucasian/Anglo (white) lady. She has a BEAUTIFUL daughter that’ll be two in December. I love both of them to death but, it’s time for my step-daughter to get out and date again. She was hooked up with a real puke for a guy (the biological father) but that is over. If you’ve ever heard “look at the mother and you’ll know what the daughter will look like!” This applies here! Her mother (my wife) was to compete in the “Mrs. Texas Pageant” this last May (but something came up at the last minute and she pulled out.) What I’m getting at is; her mother is drop-dead gorgeous (I’m not joking when I say, stay away from my wife!!) And, her daughter is good looking and getting prettier the older she gets! If you don’t like thin women, you won’t like my step-daughter. She’s not “skinny” she is thin and well built! I am retired after 7 USMC and 17.5 USAF – so I prefer a Caucasian/Anglo/gentleman/somewhat mature military man respond! (the military is negotiable; not the rest!!) She’s very street smart and has an unusual amount of common sense for a woman. She’s a few hours short of completing cosmetology school. She had to leave because of that sh**-head she called a boyfriend (long story.) She is a freak about XBOX and halo (translation: she loves them!) She likes to hunt, fish, and can keep up with any guy in most anything you throw at her – to include gutting her own deer if need be! If you’re at all interested, send me a picture and whatever information you’d like to send and I’ll pass it on to her. GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS! Signed – retired CMSgt I would say be no older that about 28….but if you’re 30 or younger and interested, shoot me an email and a picture. No old farts (like me) or perverts!

This bugged me so much that I wrote this in response:

You really had me until I got to this line: "so I prefer a Caucasian/Anglo/gentleman/somewhat mature military man respond! (the military is negotiable; not the rest!!) "

I happen to fit all of those prerequisites. The problem? You're a racist. I don't care how cool or hot your daughter is, I don't want to date her if her daddy's such a bigot. Sure, you can secretly hope that she finds a white guy, but classy people come in all skin tones and to reject outright all these guys based merely on their ancestry is rather sick, to say the least. Props for being up front about your asshattery, though. Best of luck in your quest. Why don't you try looking in your local KKK chapter?

After I sent it, though, I couldn't help but wonder if I'd been too harsh. Was I? Was I not harsh enough? Just right? Or was I completely in the wrong and there was nothing offensive about his post?

I understand that people have preferences (especially for their daughters), but to write people off only on their "race" is pretty low in my book. Plus, it's puzzling because he's a retired AF Chief Master Sergeant and the military is pretty good at getting you to get rid of prejudices (except for those towards non-heterosexual forms of sexual and romantic expression, although this is another thread). Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The part about "She has an unusual amount of common sense for a woman" would make this a prime target for any amount of harshness I'd want to dish out.

scottbud

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I totaly agree with you both wingnut and whatireallywant. WTF is he doin tryin to setup hes stepdaughter for anyway bet she doesnt know about it. plus the whole post had a kinda incestual vibe to it. tear him to shreads with words I say.

Pumblechook

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I actually started laughing about 1/3 of the way through that original posting lol. I frankly don't know what to believe of it at all. I don't even think it is a genuine "hook-up" posting for his daughter(?) as it seems (I'm still kind a confused having only read it once) but it seems more to me that it's just a gay guy posting an absurd story to get some pictures of "military guys."

If it truly is a "friday night posting" as the second poster stated, we should all be ashamed of criticizing it and be also ashamed of not recognizing its humor.

If it is a real life thing, well... we're pretty much baffled.

wingnut84

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
No, I'm pretty sure this is the real deal. And it's not as crazy as you think. This is Texas not Massachusetts.

wingnut84

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
What sort of father pimps his daughter out?

Actually, this is the norm throughout most of the world and throughout pretty much all of history, although he's not trying to "pimp her out" but rather find her a suitable man. Whether or not this is appropriate for modern America is not the reason I posted this thread.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So, interpersonal relationships now are subject to Affirmative Action? And anyone who doesn't think so is fair game for lectures from sanctimonious asshats?

No, I don't think so.

Big Irish

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Nothing like equal opportunity dating. Would the outrage be the same if the family were minority, or if the motivation was religious instead fo racial?? When will we get our social spine back?

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Nothing like equal opportunity dating. Would the outrage be the same if the family were minority, or if the motivation was religious instead fo racial?? When will we get our social spine back?
urm...if a black stepdad had said that he wanted only a black guy to court her, it'd be creepy.

since when did step parents have the right to choose the colour, religion or career of men their adult children date?

even if she does have a lot of common sense for a woman.

the whole thing is beyond creepy.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm equally outraged by arranged marriages, religious or cultural 'reasons' are a load of bullshit in most cases and just an excuse for doing something the majority of people find unacceptable.

wingnut84

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
So, interpersonal relationships now are subject to Affirmative Action? And anyone who doesn't think so is fair game for lectures from sanctimonious asshats?

No, I don't think so.

Go suck a dick, buddy. I've about had enough of your rude ass comments. I've never said SHIT to you and yet you repeatedly make a point of insulting me.

I didn't say anything about "Affirmative Action," smartass. He posted an ad looking for responses and I was telling him why, exactly, I wasn't going to try to get with his allegedly awesome daughter. I think that was well within my rights.

But again, fuck you. Go choke on a cock; I'm sure you'd love to.

wingnut84

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I'm equally outraged by arranged marriages, religious or cultural 'reasons' are a load of bullshit in most cases and just an excuse for doing something the majority of people find unacceptable.

Am I the only one completely puzzled by this bizarre statement? "The majority of people" obviously do not find this unacceptable or else it wouldn't be practiced in the majority of the world. Maybe most people in the Western world view it as unacceptable (especially certain whiny, pampered pseudo-intellectual females on forums about large penises), and I can't say I'm a big fan of them myself, but most of the WORLD does not find them "unacceptable."

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Am I the only one completely puzzled by this bizarre statement? "The majority of people" obviously do not find this unacceptable or else it wouldn't be practiced in the majority of the world. Maybe most people in the Western world view it as unacceptable, especially certain whiny, pampered pseudo-intellectual females on forums about large penises, but most of the WORLD does not find them "unacceptable.
she was talking about the majority in her culture.

you're cranky!
my mommy insticts tell me you need burping.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was talking about other practices such as arranged marriages, honour killings, female genital mutilation that are often condoned under the pretence of being a right under some bullshit pretext or other. My mommy instincts tell me you missed out on a few slappings when you were a kid, have some manners it costs nothing.

wingnut84

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Honour killings, female genital mutilation and other such horrors are in no way comparable to arranged marriage. I'm not condoning it, but people in those marriages tend to be at least as happy, if not happier, than people in our "enlightened" society. Granted some occur under coercion, and this, of course, is wrong, but in many places either party is free to reject the partner.

In terms of manners, I guarantee there's a lot of people who would be very offended if they read your message comparing them to murderers and torturers. I'm no moral relativist but watch what you're criticizing.