Was it about Penis Size?

bairdoman: I have NO idea what this Ad was insinuating...

NYC, East 42nd near Grand Central, the Kenneth Cole store....I believe... A bus-stop booth ad which was for a country music channel or TV event or something... It said

Shoe Sizes:

Tim McGraw: 10 1/2

P Diddy: 9 1/2

Thats all it said.  Not only did I take it as a penis size ad, but I also saw what I thought was them walking the thin line between comedy and racism...  Nothing against country music, though I dont care for it at all, but I think they were trying to appeal to a certain type of person.

What do you guys make of it? Have you seen the ad?

H8Monga: ??? It may be something just in NY; I haven't noticed anything here in VA like that. That is quite a mystery. Racism? I don't see it. I know Tim McGraw is white and P. Diddy (I prefer Puff) is black but if it was about country music maybe it was using shoe size (since you probably wouldn't be able to blatantly use penis size) to say country is better than rap? ??? I'd like to see that advertisement. If anyone else sees it and has a cam with then, take a pic and post it, please.

bairdoman: ill be back next weekend, ill try to remember to do it without looking too much like a mug-me.

bairdoman: dont be stupidly blind towards racism. if people dont recognize it in the first place than there is only fake understanding. I still dont know what you were insinuating, but I tried to answer what, to me, was a very abstract comment.

txquis

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Call me dense,
but i dont understand the ad,
or the racism comments in the thread either ???

gigantikok: [quote author=Hapi Papi link=board=meetgreet;num=1049855030;start=0#1 date=04/08/03 at 22:33:52]??? It may be something just in NY; I haven't noticed anything here in VA like that. .[/quote]

Youre in VA? cool, i used to live there before i moved the last 2 years of highschool then went off to college. I lived in the alexandria area, about 30 minutes from DC.

gigantikok: bairdoman:

I dont understand YOU. What are you so pissed off about? If non us can see the racism, i think you are getting worked up for no reason. Sometimes people get too easily offended in our society, i.e. some of the political correctness bullshit.

gigantikok: [quote author=bairdoman link=board=meetgreet;num=1049855030;start=0#2 date=04/10/03 at 19:53:29]ill be back next weekend, ill try to remember to do it without looking too much like a mug-me.[/quote]

What the hell are you talking about? what is a mug-me???

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
[quote author=gigantikok link=board=meetgreet;num=1049855030;start=0#7 date=04/12/03 at 21:27:35]bairdoman:

I dont understand YOU.  What are you so pissed off about?  If non us can see the racism, i think you are getting worked up for no reason.  Sometimes people get too easily offended in our society, i.e. some of the political correctness bullshit.  [/quote]

I once described political correctness as "the philosophy that a lynching is infinitely better if the victim is referred to as an African-American instead of a nigger".

I actually had written an article about the more subtle racism in political correctness. PC actually conveys very white supremacist meta-messages when you look at it.

gigantikok: well political correctness definatley succeeds in presenting the same problem racism does, seperating the races. Whether or not it is being done through old fashioned racism, or through political correctness, it still seperates the white man from every other race and is almost condesending to people of minority. As if looking down to some black guy and saying "Well, we KNOW you couldnt get this job becuase you are more skilled than your competitors, so we'll just give it to you becuase you are different". It is absolutley condesending. There should be no special treatment, there should be no freebies becuase you are different, we should all just be equal and able to achieve the same. this is the land of the free, isnt it?

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
[quote author=gigantikok link=board=meetgreet;num=1049855030;start=0#11 date=04/13/03 at 17:28:27]well political correctness definatley succeeds in presenting the same problem racism does, seperating the races.  Whether or not it is being done through old fashioned racism, or through political correctness, it still seperates the white man from every other race and is almost condesending to people of minority.  As if looking down to some black guy and saying "Well, we KNOW you couldnt get this job becuase you are more skilled than your competitors, so we'll just give it to you becuase you are different".  It is absolutley condesending.  There should be no special treatment, there should be no freebies becuase you are different, we should all just be equal and able to achieve the same.  this is the land of the free, isnt it?[/quote]

Well, I was referring to a PC string of ad hoc hypotheses about race. The first one, that of relation to latitude, is basically neo-Lamarckism, and can only explain on a Norway-to-Nigeria axis. (Racial features are a response to the environment, but it's more than just latitude. Skin tone's solar radiation, while frame is climate, and so on.) So they decide that Indians must be "recent arrivals" in order to explain why Amazon Indians are as light as some Caucasians. Problem: North American Indians in general are darker than Amazonians, some being darker than most Africans. So, why are Amazonians lighter? Because Africa's mostly desert, while the Amazon's jungle, and the jungle doesn't have as much of a heat problem. (On the same view is the "Bering Strait as a disease barrier." It would have been, but the diseases which it would stop, such as hookworm, are in pre-Columbian America, while the diseases it wouldn't, such as smallpox, aren't. [And it certainly doesn't explain the same problem in Australia.] Conclusion: It's just BS.)

Another example: Back in high school, I attacked The Bell Curve when it came out on its scientific merits, or lack thereof. (Basically it's just spurious statistics and circular reasoning, along with a few other fallacies. Ella Cara Deloria proved its thesis wrong back in the 30s by drafting her own IQ test.) But the media just ad hominem'd them about how racist they were being.

As for racism itself, there is a legacy, and here in California, advertising in Ebony is considered a racial preference. How about preferences for the poor? That should work.

ORCABOMBER: JonB. Hmmm, good reasoning, well in the UK, people's opinions seem to change really quickly. I am technically half carribean black and half carribean asian and so people tend to wonder why I don't look "pure", at least at uni anyway. Kinda annoying but aint a real problem.

But what my problem is that we're too PC and not at the same time?

We have a high "brown" population and after 9/11 the amount of stick they'd get was unbearable, let alone that some of the original immigrants fought for them during WWII and the next generation are some of the hardest working in the country, when the shit hits the fan they're still "pakis".

At the same time, I disagree with treating people of ANY nationality or background with kid gloves. I mean, it's a good thing that both our nations have racial diversity, but sometimes I feel that we (meaning the UK) hype things up to much and so force on stereotypes (ie. black ghettos, Muslim secrecy, Jewish hard-workingness.)

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Here in the US, I don't think there's a person with brown skin who hasn't been called a "faggot Arab" or something similar since 9/11.

The US also hypes things up, I'm afraid. I haven't noticed a liberal media, contrary to what conservatives say; it's more like if it bleeds, it leads.

[quote author=ORCABOMBER link=board=meetgreet;num=1049855030;start=12#13 date=04/15/03 at 07:14:24]JonB. Hmmm, good reasoning, well in the UK, people's opinions seem to change really quickly. I am technically half carribean black and half carribean asian and so people tend to wonder why I don't look "pure", at least at uni anyway. Kinda annoying  but aint a real problem.

But what my problem is that we're too PC and not at the same time?

We have a high "brown" population and after 9/11 the amount of stick they'd get was unbearable, let alone that some of the original immigrants fought for them during WWII and the next generation are some of the hardest working in the country, when the shit hits the fan they're still "pakis".

At the same time, I disagree with treating people of ANY nationality or background with kid gloves. I mean, it's a good thing that both our nations have racial diversity, but sometimes I feel that we (meaning the UK) hype things up to much and so force on stereotypes (ie. black ghettos, Muslim secrecy, Jewish hard-workingness.)[/quote]

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=jonb link=board=meetgreet;num=1049855030;start=12#14 date=04/15/03 at 16:52:18]Here in the US, I don't think there's a person with brown skin who hasn't been called a "faggot Arab" or something similar since 9/11.
[/quote]

It hasn't happened to me, but a friend of mine is a perfect case in point. His grandparents were born in Lebanon, but his parents and he were born in the US. He doesn't even speak Arabic. In less than a week after 9-11, he was approached by a group of rednecks wielding bricks and saying things like, "Fucking Arab terrorist, go back to where you came from!" [Why did they want him to go to Nebraska?] "See how you feel when we burn down your mosque!" [Mosque? He's Catholic.] And them they cornered him in a cul-de-sac and tried to stone him. By the time police broke it up, he was in a coma. Thank God he pulled through. A US Air Force pilot physically attacked because he bore an Arabic last name ... now who's the terrorist?

Rayolin: The terrorists would be the millions of ignorant idiots in this world who would rather remain blind instead of educating themselves and learning/seeing the truth. The whole concept is so difficult for me to grasp because I cant imagine being that stupid. That unwilling to think 'outside the box' even a little bit. It's frustrating having to share the world with so many stupid people...

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Turning into another Zoot Suit Riot. :mad: You don't even have to be Mideastern either; you wouldn't believe how many Indians have heard such things too. (We're not even related to Arabs. We're on, like, the other side of the planet!)

ORCABOMBER: Maybe I'm being harsh, but those sort of people are almost as bad as the terrorists we're trying to fight.