Was it about Penis Size?

gigantikok: [quote author=jonb link=board=meetgreet;num=1049855030;start=12#18 date=04/16/03 at 16:30:06]Turning into another Zoot Suit Riot. :mad: You don't even have to be Mideastern either; you wouldn't believe how many Indians have heard such things too. (We're not even related to Arabs. We're on, like, the other side of the planet!)[/quote]

Wow! you're indian?? i would have never guessed, always thought of you as a tall white guy.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
[quote author=gigantikok link=board=meetgreet;num=1049855030;start=12#20 date=04/24/03 at 01:37:47]

Wow!  you're indian??  i would have never guessed, always thought of you as a tall white guy.[/quote]

Why? Because I have a computer? LOL Clue: We don't all live like dances with whatever. In fact, none of us do, or ever did. (Hates that movie.)

gigantikok: sometimes you just picture somebody before you know exactly who they are or what they look like, and from the way you wrote and the image i got from you, i simply thought you were white and tall... kinda hard to explain i suppose.

AnonyMs: Here is my hypothesis as to why that is.

In North America, the dominant culture (by a thread) is Euro-American. For those of us who are part of that culture, we tend to think in terms of only that culture and assume everyone is of that culture until proven otherwise (either through a visual check, being told outright, or assuming based on some stereotypic observed behavior). Otherwise, we assume everyone is a PLU - person like us.

For those of us who are not part of that culture, we are aware we are not that culture and recognize that out of those three ways of ascertaining someone's cultural mindset, only one of those even has a chance of being close to accurate - being told by the person. And the cultural mindset set by the dominant culture tends to constantly remind us of our 'otherness'.

If what I said is true, it will be interesting in the US over the next twenty years as the dominant culture shifts to hispanic. Of course, dominance perhaps may be influenced more by economics (which people group controls the largest percentage of wealth) than of greatest percentage of the population.

Having said all that.... I doubt jonb assumes most of the posters on the board are belong to his cultural group.

Dee, jonb and DMW - for some reason I think of you guys as our resident socio-anthropologists.... what are your thoughts? Oh heck - what are anyone else
s thoughts?

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Thanks for the explanation, Anony. For the most part, humans think of things in an ego-alter context. (This is also why most of the mixed-race celebrities you see are at least partially Caucasian.) And of course, you can't see someone's face in a plaintext format.

@Finedessert:
Linux is like a tipi. No Gates or Windows, and an Apache inside.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=AnonyMs link=board=meetgreet;num=1049855030;start=24#24 date=04/25/03 at 05:09:31]Dee, jonb and DMW - for some reason I think of you guys as our resident socio-anthropologists[/quote]

Ms. Nony, you give me too much credit. I'm just an opinionated Cubano who's sometimes too blunt in expressing his views ... no socio-anthropologist. But give me an English Lit question and make some room!

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
[quote author=bairdoman link=board=meetgreet;num=1049855030;start=0#0 date=04/08/03 at 19:23:50]Shoe Sizes:
Tim McGraw: 10 1/2
P Diddy: 9 1/2

That's all it said.  Not only did I take it as a penis size ad, but I also saw what I thought was them walking the thin line between comedy and racism...[/quote]

I wouldn't mind seeing a visual of this ad, but I'll extrapolate what I get from this ad.

Seems like the ad made no hindrance of the audience to whom the producers tailored it: Remember, this was an ad for a country music event.

Why the shoe size references? I'm not sure, but from what I gather, Tim McGraw is quite the country star idol himself as would be P. Diddy to a hip-hop and rap audience. (Okay, not wholly true -- I don't think much of Puff myself, but hey.) If it's fair to impose that the producers listed shoe sizes as a fabled link to penis size, which is thoroughly a prevailing symbol of masculinity (big dick = more of a man), the ad may suggest that real country fans would like real men as their entertainment stars of choice. And with a 10 1/2 size foot, McGraw's a clear choice.

But is it racist? I would suspend such allegations only because (1) we're not greeted with a "visual" image that reinforces some sort of degradation of colored musicians and (2) despite attempts at trying to decode the suggested meanings of the ad, I feel that our analyses so far aren't really all that definitive. We're trying to make sense of some numbers and some names here. I know I don't feel like these producers are making a huge affront to the Black race simply by posing that P. Diddy has a smaller shoe size and / or dick.

(Hell, we all know that popular opinion assumes that Blacks and other minorities are better endowed than their Euro-White / WASP counterparts.)

Take it as you want, though. I don't feel offended. And I'm not particularly interested in men singing about tears in their beers and the wives that left them anyway.