Washington D.C. Expanding Public Surveillance Camera Net

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Phoenix1714, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Phoenix1714

Phoenix1714 New Member

D.C. expanding public surveillance camera net | Freeman Klopott | DC | Washington Examiner

This is just what we don't need, more surveillance. The fact that they're deliberately trying to use security cameras from private businesses is just that much more alarming. Private citizens and private corporations don't have to follow the 4th Amendment like the government does.

They're doing this to bypass the Constitution: It's like having the cops hiring burglars to break into our homes rather than going to a judge to get a search-warrant.

I don't believe for one second that this camera network is there just to stop terror attacks; the government is just saying that because the public would have a cow if they said they wanted to place cameras everywhere to monitor is wherever we go.

How stupid do they think we are? Do they honestly think we actually believe that they're just going to keep camera footage for only 10-days, or that they won't monitor protestors?

Yeah right!

2. MercyfulFate

MercyfulFate New Member

Albums:
    This type of shit is why I'd be reluctant to ever go to England, or the UK in general. Now they're turning the US into the same general surveillance state.

It's disgusting, and no one stands up to it.

3. eurotop40

Gold Member

George Orwell was indeed british.

4. Thirdlegproduction

Thirdlegproduction Formerly WhiteMonst3r
    Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't really know man.

I personally don't give a shit about camera's on the street, they have actually helped catch robbers and murderers and whatever.

If the government wants to spy on you they will, but this is just in plain sight.

When the time comes where the government does abuse these ways of surveillance I'm sure there are underground rebels who will sabotage them like in any war.

You are one out of 7 billion people on earth, what would make you more special then anyone else?

Like I said I really don't get it.

5. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I sincerely hope everyone realizes that surveillance cameras have been around in big cities and have been used for what some people are talking about in this thread for decades now. This is nothing new. I've never walked the streets of New York City without thinking that somewhere there could be a camera filming what I'm doing. At the same time, I know I'm not doing anything wrong and they'd be really, really bored if they were filming me to begin with.

If the idea of being on film really scares you that much, then you shouldn't go outside. And let me put this out there because I know it's coming... this has NOTHING to do with a person's right to privacy or the Constitution.

6. midlifebear

Gold Member

We keep two sets of surveillance cameras on the ranch. One system is real and well-hidden. It's the replacement to the original cameras we set up that hunters -- or folks with guns -- destroyed playing target practice. And we still catch hunters with the second system who are stupid enough to shoot at the old Radio Shack cameras for target practice with their high power rifles. They can "see" the old cameras. So far, they've been unable to detect the newer system. It's the cost of keeping my property in the USA free.

7. MercyfulFate

MercyfulFate New Member

Albums:
    If it doesn't bother you to be constantly monitored, that to me is far stranger.

The problem is they're expanding the system as often as they can while at the same time saying that filming the police in some states is illegal! Giving the police more and more power with the only oversight coming from the police is scary beyond belief.

Frankly I have no idea how people cheer this on. Yes your expectation of privacy in public is non existant but it does not mean there should be cameras everywhere either.

8. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I honestly don't think about it. If I was worried about everyone or everybody trying to peek into my life or take something from me, I wouldn't do anything at all.

I'm not cheering it on... at the end of the day, even with my vote I can't do anything about it. So I adjust and keep on moving forward. That's all I can do, unless I want to go into some kind of career crusading against it and I do not have the time in my already hectic life to take on another job title.

Draft saved Draft deleted