Watching the NEWS. Facts or bullshit?

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Slurpala: What an excellent essay (with lots of shiny visuals for those who don't like to read) on how to pass bull shit off as real shit. Seriously, one of the best reads I've enjoyed in a while. But now EVERYONE knows these secrets and none of are safe!

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
That made me laugh. Really does show language is power and pictures are necessary for stupidity based journalism. Set the "mood" of the story more than actually tell the story.

I think it was first noted by the mainstream journalists during the 80's when some tv news segment was doing a thrashing piece about policy issues of Reagan but was showing video of him there smiling and shaking hands etc. :rolleyes: They didn't understand why after watching and listening to the report people had some insane amount of favorable opinions of the policy they were talking about. One reason why I hate "file video". Yes it's a pretty picture (or something) but does that have actual relevance to the current story? I don't need to see some smiling movie star at an awards show when they are talking about they just were in a car crash.

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Today in Bad Journalism: Bloomberg News Doesn't Even Know What Untruth to Tell - The Gaggle Blog - Newsweek.com

The health-care legislation working its way through the Senate passed the House of Representatives March 21 in a 219-212 vote that had no Republican support. Democrats circumvented traditional rules that require a two-thirds majority for passage by taking advantage of a budget process called reconciliation.

Gee can't tell any bias there can you? Or did the author fail that civics lesson about only needing a majority (one-half plus one) to pass, and not a supermajority. :rolleyes: