Water Heater Issues - PLEASE HELP!

Mandee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't know much about water heaters. It sounds like you get some hot water, so it's heating, but you don't have a lot. I wonder if there is air trapped in it. I know that can happen to water tanks, but not sure about water heaters. Is there a valve on top or something? Maybe someone else knows if I could be correct.

Interesting... that could be possible I guess. I really don't know anything about water heaters... so I don't know.

Hello Mandee,
Before you try to fix anything..first ask a neighbor if they also have the same problem. Should you find out they do then you can rest assure that the owner not the manager is the one to address this issue to. Go over the managers head and speak to the owner. Secondly, I wouldnt try to repair anything without written consent, it seems you will only leave yourself vunerable in a situation like this. If you get no response from the owner. Go to your local courthouse for updated information on current tenants rights. There they should have plenty of information on what is best suited to do as well as proper legal counsel to assist you in the future. Generally if you can't afford an attorney they will appoint someone exclusively geared to handle cases such as your own for the indigent. Good-luck

Oh, I am definately not going to try to mess with the heater. I was hoping maybe my problem could be solved with something as easy as flipping a switch. lol. It sounds like it's probably something more involved. I'm too afraid I'd mess something up if I tried to fix it myself, so I'm just going to deal with it until we move I guess. I feel like if we complain about it now they'll wonder why we waited so long. They'll probably think we caused the problem. I'm just going to suffer with cold showers I guess. :frown1:

It sounds like the other people are probably correct about the heating element, so I guess my theory doesn't hold water.

Jovial, your theory might be right... don't go putting yourself down.

Draining the waterheater is usually needed on a gas heater. You have an element out - there is a RED reset button on the thermostat that will pop out if it need to be reset. Otherwise, the element needs to be changed. A handyman could easily check it using a meter. It's a simple fix to change it - drain the tank below the suspect element and remove it with a wrench. Then just take the dead one to a appliance repair place. Also have the info from the plate on the heater with voltage, wattage. Take the costs off your rent!
Or get the manager to fix it... It's really his problem. As stated above, the law states that you must be provided hot water unless it something you did (like not paying the electric bill).

mandee...the guys are very much correct...unless it is leaking......but really this a landlord problem...do not tackle this yourself...a mis step and your downstairs neighbors will be your enemy...

Thanks... yeah, I'm not going to try to fix it myself. I was kinda hoping it would be something as simple as flipping a switch or turning a knob...

40 gals is the standard size for a house in this country, it should be adequate.

Another possibility is that the inlet and outlet pipes are connected backwards. The cold is supposed to be connected to an internal pipe that extends inside to close to the bottom of the tank. The hot outlet draws from the top of the tank. If this is the case, you will get some hot water, maybe 15 gals, then cold.

There are also supposed to be anti-siphoning check valves on the connections.

An insulating blanket will save you some electricity in hot weather, but doesn't relate to your problem.

What is the water heater thermostat set at?

Idk what the heater thermostat is set at... how do I check this? I didn't notice a meter anywhere on it.. but I didn't really look for one, either.

Your theory about the pipes being connected wrong makes sense. Are they marked hot and cold? Can I just look at them and know if they're wrong, or is it more complex than this?

nicenycdick

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Do not accept this! Your landlord has an obligation to give you hot water under Nevada Law:

NRS 118A.380 Failure of landlord to supply essential services.
1. If the landlord is required by the rental agreement or this chapter to supply heat, air-conditioning, running water, hot water, electricity, gas, or another essential service and he willfully or negligently fails to do so, causing the premises to become unfit for habitation, the tenant shall give written notice to the landlord specifying the breach. If the landlord does not adequately remedy the breach, or use his best efforts to remedy the breach within 48 hours, except a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday, after it is received by the landlord, the tenant may, in addition to any other remedy:
(a) Procure reasonable amounts of such essential services during the landlord’s noncompliance and deduct their actual and reasonable cost from the rent;
(b) Recover actual damages, including damages based upon the lack of use of the premises or the diminution of the fair rental value of the dwelling unit;
(c) Withhold any rent that becomes due during the landlord’s noncompliance without incurring late fees, charges for notice or any other charge or fee authorized by this chapter or the rental agreement, until the landlord has attempted in good faith to restore the essential services; or
(d) Procure other housing which is comparable during the landlord’s noncompliance, and the rent for the original premises fully abates during this period. The tenant may recover the actual and reasonable cost of that other housing which is in excess of the amount of rent which is abated.
2. If the tenant proceeds under this section, he may not proceed under NRS 118A.350 and 118A.360 as to that breach.
3. The rights of the tenant under this section do not arise until he has given written notice as required by subsection 1, except that the tenant may, without having given that notice:
(a) Recover damages as authorized under paragraph (b) of subsection 1 if the landlord:
(1) Admits to the court that he had knowledge of the lack of such essential services; or
(2) Has received written notice of the uninhabitable condition caused by such a lack from a governmental agency authorized to inspect for violations of building, housing or health codes.
(b) Withhold rent under paragraph (c) of subsection 1 if the landlord:
(1) Has received written notice of the condition constituting the breach from a governmental agency authorized to inspect for violations of building, housing or health codes; and
(2) Fails to remedy or attempt in good faith to remedy the breach within the time prescribed in the written notice of that condition from the governmental agency.
4. The rights of the tenant under paragraph (c) of subsection 1 do not arise unless the tenant is current in the payment of rent at the time of giving written notice pursuant to subsection 1.
5. If such a condition was caused by the deliberate or negligent act or omission of the tenant, a member of his household or other person on the premises with his consent, the tenant has no rights under this section.
(Added to NRS by 1977, 1339; A 1985, 1416; 1987, 314; 1999, 1230; 2007, 1286)

You can also find additional help here: Nevada Legal Resources Directory - Property Law

If you need help wading through the legal section, pm me...I'll help.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Interesting... that could be possible I guess. I really don't know anything about water heaters... so I don't know.

Oh, I am definately not going to try to mess with the heater. I was hoping maybe my problem could be solved with something as easy as flipping a switch. lol. It sounds like it's probably something more involved. I'm too afraid I'd mess something up if I tried to fix it myself, so I'm just going to deal with it until we move I guess. I feel like if we complain about it now they'll wonder why we waited so long. They'll probably think we caused the problem. I'm just going to suffer with cold showers I guess. :frown1:

Jovial, your theory might be right... don't go putting yourself down.

Thanks... yeah, I'm not going to try to fix it myself. I was kinda hoping it would be something as simple as flipping a switch or turning a knob...

Idk what the heater thermostat is set at... how do I check this? I didn't notice a meter anywhere on it.. but I didn't really look for one, either.

Your theory about the pipes being connected wrong makes sense. Are they marked hot and cold? Can I just look at them and know if they're wrong, or is it more complex than this?

The inlet is usually on the right, and their should be a label near both connections. Are your pipes exposed so you can see which is the supply into the apt and which goes to the washer etc?

The thermostat should be under the sheet metal cover for one or both of the elements. Probably the bottom one. You might need a screwdriver to remove them. Don't touch any of the electrical connections, if the are exposed. Turning it to the right should make it hotter. I haven't done anything with any but a gas water heater for a couple of decades, but I once was an apt maintenance person.

Mandee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The inlet is usually on the right, and their should be a label near both connections. Are your pipes exposed so you can see which is the supply into the apt and which goes to the washer etc?

The thermostat should be under the sheet metal cover for one or both of the elements. Probably the bottom one. You might need a screwdriver to remove them. Don't touch any of the electrical connections, if the are exposed. Turning it to the right should make it hotter. I haven't done anything with any but a gas water heater for a couple of decades, but I once was an apt maintenance person.

Yes, the pipes are exposed... when my mom wakes up from her nap I'll have her look at the thermostat. I don't want to mess with it myself.

Thanks for your advice :)

Mandee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
When my heater malfunctioned, I also got some boiling water, put it into the sink in the bathroom, set it to very warm, and mopped my self down with a sponge.

Good thing it was September.

That sucks. Yeah... a few years ago we had this happen (we lived in Kansas at the time). My step-dad had these huge cooking pots and I'd heat the water up in those and pour them into the bathtub and take a bath that way. Luckily it was only about a week until he replaced the water heater.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
If you are renting call your super or landlord and have him fix it. It's not your unit, it belongs to the building.

I started unplugging mine to save energy and just turn it on about 45 minutes before I shower. I have a tub and fill it with hot water about 4 inches. That way if the hot water stops I can use the water in the tub to finish bathing.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If you are renting call your super or landlord and have him fix it. It's not your unit, it belongs to the building.

I started unplugging mine to save energy and just turn it on about 45 minutes before I shower. I have a tub and fill it with hot water about 4 inches. That way if the hot water stops I can use the water in the tub to finish bathing.

The groundwater in Florida is 72 F, you don't even need a hot water heater. :biggrin1:

Here it is 42 F.:eek: