Wayne state gym openness - and college gyms in general

Yubdubs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I've been attending Wayne State, and just started attending the gym there regularly hoping to build up. One thing that's been slightly disappointing though is that nudity in the locker room seems basically nonexistent. It seems so weird to me that a place like this can't be more open. The showers are all closed, with two sets of curtains, and lots of people bring all their clothes in there. I don't know how widespread this place really is, but I think it would be cool if this place would become more open to being freeing and not so closed up. (Maybe more than that too, but one step at a time with this :p)

I was curious if other gyms with a lot of college students noticed something similar to this as well. Because it's a bit of a downer honestly. lol

My alma mater went from completely open showers when I was a student (early to mid 90s), to open and stalls in 2010 to now completely stalls. Such a shame. It was there that I got over myself and became comfortable with male nudity. The dynamic of the locker room completely changed after that idiotic decision was made. I stopped going there once they did this and use the local Y which still has completely open showers even though the locker room was completely remodeled a couple of years ago.

Yubdubs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Yeah, that really sucks. When I was younger, I wouldn't ever even want to take off my shirt around anybody, but eventually, with some places being more open, I was able to get over it, and stop worrying so much about how my body looked around other guys. My size and lack of big muscles stopped mattering to me after this, so it's a shame that others don't get that same opportunity as much. I'm glad some places have been able to keep open showers still, but it's a shame that it doesn't seem to be the case around here.

Reactions: nicnic

Gj816

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
You can always lead by example. My gym has stalls with a curtain. But I strip off at my locker throw my towel over my shoulder and walk naked to the shower.

I walk back after my shower the same way. Go about putting on my deodorant, moisturizer, etc completely naked in the locker room. Carry on conversations with other guys while I'm naked. Sometimes they are undressing or naked too. It's liberating and others will get used to it and join in.

Yeah, that really sucks. When I was younger, I wouldn't ever even want to take off my shirt around anybody, but eventually, with some places being more open, I was able to get over it, and stop worrying so much about how my body looked around other guys. My size and lack of big muscles stopped mattering to me after this, so it's a shame that others don't get that same opportunity as much. I'm glad some places have been able to keep open showers still, but it's a shame that it doesn't seem to be the case around here.

Sadly, they are becoming rarer and rarer. In the city of approx 160,000 where I work, the Y is the last gym that still has open showers. I feel sorry for the younger generation being passively taught body shame.

Yubdubs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
You can always lead by example. My gym has stalls with a curtain. But I strip off at my locker throw my towel over my shoulder and walk naked to the shower.

I walk back after my shower the same way. Go about putting on my deodorant, moisturizer, etc completely naked in the locker room. Carry on conversations with other guys while I'm naked. Sometimes they are undressing or naked too. It's liberating and others will get used to it and join in.

That's a good idea, I have been trying that a bit more too. Although I don't really know anybody else who goes there, so it's basically just me, so I'm there alone, but I'm doing what I can. Strangely enough though, today two other guys were also being more open, which was odd to see two like that in the same day. lol

Reactions: mutualjax and Gj816

Yubdubs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I doubt much has really changed by now, but it sure seems like more are showering and walking there without underwear this last week, which is different, but it's most likely just different people I haven't seen, lol. Being there around pretty much the same time all 4 days I'm there doesn't really let me get around much, but I'm trying when I can. It would help me be a bit more open if I didn't have some trouble with exciting fairly easily still. :p

Reactions: Gj816

ThickBearMeat

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay

This is very true. I never cover up and the freedom is contagious.

Yubdubs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Had a good experience yesterday. Was getting changed at the same time as somebody else, and we both stripped down completely and walked over to the showers without a towel at the same time pretty much. Still pretty closed generally, but there's definitely some here that are willing to bare it all.:blush:

Yubdubs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
New semester, but basically the same story. Maybe if we didn't have so many lockers upstairs here not in the locker room itself, things would be a little different. Definitely a different crowd with the time I'm there now, and it seems like a larger percentage of people shower, but there's still a lot of changing while staying as hidden as possible.

Reactions: Space_Nerd

Saint Raphael

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
My school just went from communal showers to stalls last summer. There are hooks for towels on the dividers between the stalls and a general hook rack just outside the showers that can hold probably 20 or so towels. Before the stalls were introduced, most of the young guys showered in the buff with no problem (you would see on occasion someone in there looking ridiculous with briefs or even leggings). Now most hook their towels outside their stall, but there is still a good number of guys who hook their towels on the main rack and walk back and forth in the buff, as well as guys who shower with their curtains open. So at least at my school (which is Catholic btw), there is still a general liberal attitude towards nudity. At peak hours in the morning, at some point of another, you'd easily see about half of the guys who use the showers in the buff at some point.

Yubdubs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Seems odd that even a Catholic place will be okay with that, yet so many others still won't do it. Makes me wonder where this really stems from.

Had one outlier for once, a dude walking back and forth from one end to the scale on one side, and all the way back totally nude and not trying to cover himself. Still way out of the norm, the layout of the locker rooms really seem to make things so much more closed than they could be. 5 small areas with lockers, and the individual shower stalls are all kind of tucked away in a different room all together. Only thing that really has anything open is that there's a mirror along the back 2 areas of lockers.

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

Pretty much same here. Except I don't moisturize. And I don't stand and talk naked. I get dressed while I'm talking. And I don't feel liberated, just normal.

My old college gym had open showers. And the janitor would dump a box of loose, unwrapped Dial soap bars on a shelf for people to just grab and use. My freshman year dorm had open showers, too.

Reactions: Gj816

jamiegreen

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
The uni gym I go to has closed shower cubicles. But the other day when I went in to change there was a student totally naked drying himself off with one of the hairdryers. I figured he's forgotten to bring a towel. He didn't seem shy at all and appeared quite happy showing off his cock which unfortunately was on the small size.