We are the world 25 - Haiti video

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
A remake of the 80s charity song. Some big stars there for sure. Some notable artists missing too from vocal duties(Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Jay z).

Ridiculous putting that annoying kid on the opening vocal! The rest is the usual disjointed mishmash you get with these type of efforts that have to cram in 87 vocalists; the good, the bad and the...rappers!!! ROFLMAO :biggrin1:

We are the world - Haiti

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Agreed, over all what they showed on the olympics was ok but I understand it wasn't the full version. The kid is cute but I don't get the craze, I heard some cites were all but shut down due to this kid showing up at radio stations and record stores. Events were even banned by city conciles in some cities.

elegant20

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
How the hell did they get big stars like Tony Bennett, Barbara Streisand, Ann and Nancy Wilson, Janet Jackson, and Gladys Knight all in one room while that kid sang the intro? It is worse to have that when you get all the greats that have better vocal abilities than that. And don't get me started on Wycliffe's monkey calls. I know he is from Haiti and all, but please don't sound like a cat strangled by a dog and sing for real. Isn't that too much to ask? Even listening to their vocals, you could barely hear the other singers in the room. It is like the rappers overpowered the others. And please don't give Miley Cyrus, The Jonas Brothers, or any singer with limited vocal range anymore screen time.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have not seen or heard it yet...and i don't really care...but i am looking forward to the parodies :biggrin1:

I much prefer the original, no matter what...at least that was genuine...and, after all the Saturday Night Live Parody of it was funny (Billy Crystal as Prince singing "I am the world" )

and the original "Feed the World" was probably the best of the artists helping out type of songs...shame they redid that one too.

elegant20

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Funny. Prince's ego has always been so big.........:rolleyes: Especially with that recent football victory song that was beyond horrible.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It actually doesn't sound that bad, considering that you could never top the original. And it makes sense that they would put rappers in this, considering how much money they generate. Some of the artists tried too hard to sound like the originals, instead of just owning it and doing it their way. Which is why they got Wyclef to do Springsteen's part and why it sounded like someone is strangling a yak. :wink:

But props to Celine Dion & Pink. They sounded great... and keeping Michael's parts were a nice touch.

Last edited:

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Rappers were not included because they make money, they included Haitis heritage in the production as much as they could without destroying the song, I thought it was mixed pretty well except for like 20 said the dog killing a cat part. Loved seeing the Haitian children dance in the video, shows a little hope for the people.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Rappers were not included because they make money

So, are we denying the name drawing power that today's rappers have in the music industry? The whole idea of this project, even the original, was to put as many recognizable names on the project to make money for a cause. The original was for Africa. This one is for Haiti.

Nothing has changed, except for the voices sending out the message and the beneficiaries.

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It was alright, considering.
I did enjoy the first half [for the most part], but didn't particularly like the second half [although, I am a tad biased].

It's really funny how badly the transition from Celine to Fergie (was that Fergie) flat lines.:rofl:

Oh, and what the fuck was that goat being molested?!:confused:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am still trying to figure out what the hell Vince Vaughn, Jeff Bridges and Nicole Richie were doing there, singing.

obviously, the remake could not go ahead without them :confused:

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media
Thats is horrible.
The person after Jamie Foxx, apparently Antares Autotune is just embarrassing . And superimposing Micheal and Janet Jackson together, beyond cheesy. And the rap sounds aggressive, not supportive.

Fantastic idea, but they should have left the original alone :yup:

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
So very very easy to get cynical on this- but why not focus on the positive- they were trying to do something to help...(okay, the Wycliff warbling was a parody onto itself), but my respect for Pink (or is it P!nk now?) grows daily, ditto Fergie... I did feel Jamie Foxx was channeling Stevie Wonder tho? I did find once again, janet to have virtually no vocal strength but..

As to 'rap' I think it was an attempt to reach out to the change in music in 25 years...lets face it NOTHING is 'updated' these days with out a new 'tweak' an evidently the writer, Quincy Jones felt he could do it (if anyone else had it would have been sacrilidge) (sp) I do wonder what Lionel Ritchie has been doing in 25 years? (and who knew Randy whatshisname Idol could sing?! Kudos to the usually media-phobic Streisand for being there ('leave your egos at the door'). To get all those power players in one place (granted it was after the grammys I think) was pretty amazing- I think they tried to pull a mix of folks (like the original) to play to 'everyone' for the tweens- Jonas' and Miley, for the older crowd Tony Bennet (!), Streisand, Celine (just wrangling her must have been a challenge)(!), for 'Pop" Fergie, Pink, etc...not sure of some of the others...a few were just 'there' I agree (Jeff Bridges for mystery sake??)

Sure- strip it down...or you comment if each of those gave 1 million each...but it IS positive.

This is for a country that BEFORE the quake(s) was/is one of the poorest on the planet- and unline some countries, they can't simply go across another border to find a new opportunity...literally...middle of nowhere with a country infrastructure that is simply >gone<

imagine if ALL, not some but every single one, of your records or building permits ceased to exist....

Kudos to them for at least trying...

Mickactual

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Fantastic idea, but they should have left the original alone :yup:
Agreed. Remakes generally tend to be epic fails.
I just watched the video. Some observations...
  • Best parts: the solos by Tony Bennett, Adam Levine, Josh Groban, and La Streisand.
  • Most embarrasing moment: Jamie Foxx doing Ray Charles. Ray must be rolling in his grave.
  • Jump the shark / shitstorm moment: when it switched gears and went rap. It was a pretty song originally, and it actually has a vocal melody. Why they felt they had to abase it by adding a rap section is beyond me. Only in America....
  • The artist listing named a lot of people I never even caught a glimpse of like Rob Thomas, Brian Wilson, Jason Mraz, Natalie Cole, Bono & Robin Thicke. Guess they were buried in the chorus somewhere...
  • Nice to see Gladys Knight (albeit only in the chorus). Why didn't she rate a solo?
  • That drag queen Celine Dion needs to stop with all the screaming already. She sounds like a fire siren here.
  • I've seen more than enough of that talentless Miley Ray Cyrus kid for one lifetime, thank You.
  • Oh, and that Justin Bieber kid {shudders}. Who did he blow to rate the first line?
  • My understanding is that MJ's vocal lines from the original were inserted at the insistence of the Jackson family. Whatever the motive, it was an appropriate touch.

Last edited:

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media
Antares Autotune is an effect that causes the warble. It corrects the pitch for singers who can't sing. The warble is an artifact of Autotune that has become the most nauseatingly overused effect in history.

Teaches me for being to lazy to google :redface:

• My understanding is that MJ's vocal lines from the original were inserted at the insistence of the Jackson family. Whatever the motive, it was an appropriate touch.

I have to disagree. It would heave been more respectful to leave him out of this one and have him associated only with the original. The cheesiness of him and the Janet duet was almost comical.