we don't have homosexuals

Quite Irate

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I've been to Iran. Invading it would be one of the most appallingly moronic things the U.S. could possibly do. Iran is a major country, with a way more developed culture than Afghanistan or Iraq. Invading Iran would be like invading any western country that just happens to have an inept nutjob president (read: The U.S.).

zawfi

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
If nothing else, it was interesting to see how a thread started by a troll changes over time. Not that I disagree with the responses here, just saying...

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The OP is apparently one of those stupid enough to actually believe the radio when it tells him that liberals support terrorists, hate America, hate the troops, and love guys like Hugo Chavez because they (along with everyone else in the world) have harsh things to say about the president. The only thing more incredible than the stupid shit some pundits say on the air is how many fucktards there are out there who gobble it up.
Well said.

horneyoldguy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
When Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad used the term "homosexuals" to refer to a particular group within Iranian society, he could have easily substituted the term "homosexuals" with Jews, Christians, or any other societal group their version of Islam and religious leaders refuses to recognize and removes from their society via persecution and / or death.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
DC, I think technically Hitler and Mussolini are considered ultra-conservative. But you could make the same analogy about Jews living in Stalinist Russia.
I didn't mean to imply that either Hitler or Mussolini were liberal (actually, fascist is the descriptor that comes to mind for either of them), but rather pointing out the idiocy of the OP claiming that a particularly oppressed and persecuted group supports the oppressor/persecutor.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Regarding the lack of Iranian homosexuals, two threads come to mind. There was the one about the hanging of the 16yr old, who was caught in a homosexual act, but after international pressures, the Iranians suddenly added, "Oh, and he raped a girl too," although the details on the "victim" were never very clear. The second thread, I actually couldn't find (???), but have a fragment from it in, from a PM (although the thread had source info):
Alex8 said:
...a part of me always recalls an interview on Egyptian television with journalist Mervat Mohsen, who was asked, looking back, what the most striking thing she had seen during the Iranian Revolution was... to which her solemn response was simply: "the hideous spectacle of the gay men's bodies hanging from the trees all around Tehran". One of those moments where something was actually said live on Arab TV that otherwise would certainly be censored... and which was all the more striking for being a one-off moment of directness in a culture more prone to obfuscation of sex and sexuality...

Who on this site has visited Iran and met "ordinary people" there? Iranian people and the government of the country are not the same...
This statement is also true in other ways, as well. I know that traveling as an American, there are many other countries that view ME in the same way. That is "We don't hate you because you are American, but we detest your government. We know that one doesn't equal the other." I've been told as much in several countries. Broadly speaking, Americans seem to have more of an issue about be able to see a people and a government as separate groups, more so than other countries seem to be able to do it.

SoFla8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I thought about how some people argue that homosexuality is a choice. I doubt that anyone, who is sane, would make a choice that would get them stoned, decapitated, or hung within hours of being caught. Surely being in the closet in Iran is a dangerous prospect.

Maybe we dont have it so bad here in the west as some would have us believe!

p.s. -The OP is in the closet.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
<...>
p.s. -The OP is in the closet.
One might think so, until one reads the OP's other posts. I could state openly, in this thread, what his problem is, but it would start some flame wars... and I'm busy enough with the fire extinguishers in about 3 other threads.

Stretch

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Just to clear up one thing...This op started out with a false statement. Ahmadinejad was asked about the human rights of women and homosexuals in Iran.

His expected and utterly ridiculous answers were:

[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]"The freest women in the world are the women in Iran.''

and

[/FONT][FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]"In Iran, we don't have homosexuals, like in your country. We don't have that in our country. In Iran, we do not have this phenomenon. I don't know who's told you that we have it.''

There was no mention or reference made to the executions of homosexuals in Iran in this exchange at Columbia University. There is a definite argument to made and discussed about executions there. There's plenty of factual material to point to and debate, without the op to having to create a bullshit context from yesterday.
[/FONT][FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif] I'm surprised nobody else has pointed this out yet. At least start with the correct information people.

Have fun...:smile:
[/FONT]

arrivaderciroma

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I think the subject of homosexuality is the biggest secret in the Middle East. In fact, sexuality is the biggest problem there because the people are so repressed sexually. The poor and uneducated can't converse with or socialize with the opposite sex. (Of course the rich do what they want to in every culture regardeless of civil or religious law) I've been in several countries in that region and men commonly walk hand in hand. They create deep and probably physical friendships with other men. They are often virgins with women till marriage. Whether they are courageous enough to go beyond their religious beliefs and enjoy sex with their male friends I don't know for sure; but really, it's their only possible outlet beside masturbation. The Taliban group in Afghanistan were famous not only for their strict and fanatical intolerance of women and brutal enforcement of religious law; but were hypocritically flaunting their feminine side by wearing eye makeup and colorful turbans and jewelry. I suspect they were simply acting out on the "down low" and wouldn't dare suck a cock or fuck an ass-hole.
I think what's happening in this culture and this religion is very largely the result of repressed sexuality joined with poverty, political oppression and ancient tribal codes. I've begun to understand the attraction to suicide and martyrdom among these people when almost every expression of human love is stifled. Yes, they allow three loves: work, family and religion but the religion does not raise them to heights of humanism or compassion. It makes false promises for the hereafter and requires acceptance of hardship in life. This creates powerful anger and deep self hatred that is focused intensely on the world outside. It can be seen in how they treat each other, themselves and the world. This intense repression and anger is cultivated and played by the leaders (rich) of the Middle East and by our leaders as well to see who will win in the end. It's a potent force to be reconed with.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think the subject of homosexuality is the biggest secret in the Middle East. In fact, sexuality is the biggest problem there because the people are so repressed sexually. The poor and uneducated can't converse with or socialize with the opposite sex. (Of course the rich do what they want to in every culture regardeless of civil or religious law) I've been in several countries in that region and men commonly walk hand in hand. They create deep and probably physical friendships with other men. They are often virgins with women till marriage. Whether they are courageous enough to go beyond their religious beliefs and enjoy sex with their male friends I don't know for sure; but really, it's their only possible outlet beside masturbation. The Taliban group in Afghanistan were famous not only for their strict and fanatical intolerance of women and brutal enforcement of religious law; but were hypocritically flaunting their feminine side by wearing eye makeup and colorful turbans and jewelry. I suspect they were simply acting out on the "down low" and wouldn't dare suck a cock or fuck an ass-hole.
I think what's happening in this culture and this religion is very largely the result of repressed sexuality joined with poverty, political oppression and ancient tribal codes. I've begun to understand the attraction to suicide and martyrdom among these people when almost every expression of human love is stifled. Yes, they allow three loves: work, family and religion but the religion does not raise them to heights of humanism or compassion. It makes false promises for the hereafter and requires acceptance of hardship in life. This creates powerful anger and deep self hatred that is focused intensely on the world outside. It can be seen in how they treat each other, themselves and the world. This intense repression and anger is cultivated and played by the leaders (rich) of the Middle East and by our leaders as well to see who will win in the end. It's a potent force to be reconed with.

Brilliant post.

Censorship is what holds it all in place, and hopefully, just like the invention of the printing press "killed" much (but not all) of the religious oppression in the West, I'm hoping that the Internet will invade the homes and minds of as many people as possible.

That way, there will no longer be millions upon millions of people who have read just one book.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think I've been laughing more at Ahmadinejad than any sitcom I've seen lately. the whole thing is laughable and the US media are doing exactly what I think Iran wants it to do. By making him look bad, it fuels the anti-american fire in the mideast. Of course he is doing a bang up job of this himself it would seem.

That puts new spin on strange bedfellows.

I'm at least glad with him in country, I don't have to hear about OJ anymore.