We Need to be Protected from Our Government

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_TonyK8483, Dec 10, 2010.

1. B_TonyK8483

B_TonyK8483 New Member

I don't know about you, but as an American citizen, I'm troubled with the governments non-stop assertions of power that are often completely outside the letter or the spirit of the Constitution, as well as the increase in its intrusiveness. I think we do need more security and protection. Not from terrorists, but from our own government.

I think the security we have in place against terrorists is just fine, and we don't need any more "security". Over the past 9-years, we have increasingly less protection from the whims and impulses of our government, which has increasingly demonstrated itself unresponsive, and unanswerable to us and is becoming an ever increasingly grater danger to our rights and freedoms.

Tony K
    "No matter how I die, it was murder"
    SNL Parody of Julian Assange

2. B_KendraLesnick831

B_KendraLesnick831 New Member

Tony K,

I agree with you. I think our system of checks and balances are failing us, our government isn't really working in our interests, and our country has taken a path away from our traditional values and ideas. Holding people secretly and with no right to challenge their detention, waterboarding and other torture, waiving the requirement for warrants in certain cases, all are counter to how are laws are supposed to operate.

None of these things make us any safer, and are all the result of anti-terror hysteria, and should have never been put in place. Our government has positioned itself to capitalize on any crisis that happens to occur, either exploiting the shock over what happened to ram through all sorts of changes before anybody manages to realize what happened, or using the crisis to frighten people into believing that the only solution is to sacrifice more of our freedoms.

Now, we have this "crisis" over Wikileaks. The political reaction to the site has nothing to do with fears over the site endangering national security, and is instead about the fears of powerful interests who are afraid of their wrongdoing being exposed, and want to exert more control over the international commons of the internet. As long as we have a free and open internet, there's always that risk of exposure.

Of course being that a crisis should never be allowed to go unexploited, who knows what harm the Wikileaks issue (as well as the back and forth hacker-attacks against Mastercard and Wikileaks) will do to our freedoms now? Will we lose a free and open internet?

3. D_Davy_Downspout

D_Davy_Downspout Account Disabled

The actual danger is from the corporations. Government is government. It's the private money that perverts it.

4. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think it's worth noting that the OP and the first respondent were banned as being the same person. This thread deserves to die under the bridge it came from.

5. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    LOL.

I find these kinds of things fascinating. The gumption, the need to do something like this. Fascinating.

6. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Back in the pre-PC late 80s, I had a boss who'd have deplored this aloud as "so much mental masturbation" :cool:

7. JackWyatt76

JackWyatt76 New Member

Bbucko,

Why?

8. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    1) If you feed trolls they stick around. The only way to deal with them is starve them from a lack of attention;

2) The premise of this thread is deeply flawed. Reread the title: who will protect us from "government"? If the title read "We Need To Protect Ourselves From Big Government" or some other such thing it would be one thing, but the words "be protected" infer that some third party will/should come along and intervene for us. IMO, that smells just a little like authoritarianism, which is what the OP (and his sock-puppet) is supposedly fighting against;

3) Since I do not feed trolls (even dead ones), I'll not respond to the substance of his/her assertions. If you want to create a new thread regarding the perils of "big government", and have either an underlying premise or an article to quote for discussion and review, do so. If it interests me, I'll respond.

9. D_Evita_Zane

D_Evita_Zane New Member

Thank you. It can be yours if the price is right.

10. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    :lol:

Draft saved Draft deleted