We need to cut spending...

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
For everything, except DOMA:

House Republicans Ignore Jobs Bill While Tripling Funding for Defense of Anti-Gay Legislation

Really? What happened to "It is regrettable that the Obama Administration has opened this divisive issue at a time when Americans want their leaders to focus on jobs and the challenges facing our economy."? (Press Release from Mr. Boehner's Web Site) Where did all of this outrage go? Why are Mr. Boehner and his allies now ignoring the President's jobs bill and TRIPLING SPENDING on DOMA?

Why is how my husband and I live our lives more important than the fact that MILLIONS of Americans are without work?

B_enzia35

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
1 million dollars. And how much did Obama give those two green energy companies as kickbacks?

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
1 million dollars. And how much did Obama give those two green energy companies as kickbacks?

I'm sorry, did I miss some press conference where Obama said we need to focus on job creation instead of focusing attention on green energy companies? Because as I remember it, Obama campaigned that he would increase funding for green energy, and then followed through on that campaign promise.

In other words, you're deflecting from the issue at hand with a straw-man argument. If you wanna talk about Solara, there are threads here that address that issue. This thread is about the hypocrisy of increasing spending on the defense of DOMA after publicly stating that there are more important issues to focus on.

B_enzia35

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And my point is that his billion dollars as kickbacks to his supporters is 1,000 times bigger than the increase to this DOMA spending.

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
And my point is that his billion dollars as kickbacks to his supporters is 1,000 times bigger than the increase to this DOMA spending.

And my point is that this thread isn't about the president. Your point, in this thread, is not on topic. There are threads where it is on topic. Go to those threads.

B_enzia35

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
so is raising taxes :rolleyes:
The hell it is! They're making more money now, and we need to take it!:rolleyes:

Alright how about this: the amount of increased spending on the DOMA act is pretty much insignificant compared to the amount of money that was spent on the two companies. You mentioned that they tripled spending on DOMA. Heck, you put it in all caps. Yeah, yeah. How much was it before? $500k. Now? $1.5m. Hardly anything, compared to say, the healthcare bill?

It IS exceptionally regrettable that the 'pubs are even continuing with this DOMA shit though. I personally couldn't care less what two people do with each other.

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It IS exceptionally regrettable that the 'pubs are even continuing with this DOMA shit though. I personally couldn't care less what two people do with each other.

So at least there's *some* agreement. :smile:

Yes, at least there's one thing we can agree on.

ripsrips

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
As of yesterday...NO democrat member of the house had introduced obamas jobs bill!
If this "jobs" bill is so important? Why hasn't a dem member of congress presented it to the house for review and debate?
Reid presented it to the senate then promply shelved it, he didn't want any debate on it!
obama keeps saying pass this bill, yet no one in his party wants to!

For everything, except DOMA:

House Republicans Ignore Jobs Bill While Tripling Funding for Defense of Anti-Gay Legislation

Really? What happened to "It is regrettable that the Obama Administration has opened this divisive issue at a time when Americans want their leaders to focus on jobs and the challenges facing our economy."? (Press Release from Mr. Boehner's Web Site) Where did all of this outrage go? Why are Mr. Boehner and his allies now ignoring the President's jobs bill and TRIPLING SPENDING on DOMA?

Why is how my husband and I live our lives more important than the fact that MILLIONS of Americans are without work?

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
As of yesterday...NO democrat member of the house had introduced obamas jobs bill!
If this "jobs" bill is so important? Why hasn't a dem member of congress presented it to the house for review and debate?
Reid presented it to the senate then promply shelved it, he didn't want any debate on it!
obama keeps saying pass this bill, yet no one in his party wants to!

I don't disagree. The Democrats should be working on the jobs bill. But aren't you just a little outraged that this guy who feigned incredulity that President Obama would distract from jobs by shifting even a little focus to DOMA (a move that actually reduced government spending) is now shifting focus from jobs to SPEND MORE MONEY on DOMA??? Aren't you even just a little bit outraged about that?

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Ah, yes . . . The Republicans. Always vigilant that we should goose step to their world view of morality. One doesn't even need to read the Daily KOS to become informed on this GOP bullshit. Go to good old TPM (see:Boehner Triples Possible DOMA Legal Tab To $1.5 Million | TPMMuckraker) for more on those who liked the Dark Ages so much that they want to repeat them.

A short bit of the fabulous GOP and their "Heterosexuals are better than you" schlock:

House Speaker John Boenher has tripled the allocation to defend DOMA to a possible $1.5M.

A modified contract between the General Counsel to the House of Representatives and former Solicitor General Paul Clement of Bancroft PLLC sets a cap of $750,000 which can be raised up to $1.5 million. "It is absolutely unconscionable that Speaker Boehner is tripling the cost for his legal boondoggle to defend the indefensible Defense of Marriage Act," Drew Hammill, a spokesman for Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, said in a statement. "At a time when Americans are hurting and job creation should be the top priority, it just shows how out of touch House Republicans have become that they would spend up to $1.5 million dollars to defend discrimination in our country," Hammill continued.

But a couple of people in the public eye have got our queer backs:

Rep. Jerrold Nadler reacts via press release:
“In the current climate of Republican-sponsored deficit hysteria, draconian spending cuts, and an ongoing recession in which Americans are still awaiting congressional leadership on jobs and mortgage relief, it is shocking and supremely hypocritical for Republican Leadership to spend additional taxpayer dollars on the unwarranted, unconstitutional and unnecessary defense of DOMA. It seems that the only jobs program the House is creating is one for high-priced lawyers to defend an unconscionable law.

Freedom To Marry's Evan Wolfson:
“At a time when Americans are struggling through one of the worst economies in our nation's history, it is shameful that House Republicans are now tripling the spending of tax dollars - including those of gay and lesbian Americans - to defend a discriminatory anti-gay law that makes it even harder for committed gay and lesbian couples to take care of and protect their loved ones. The so-called Defense of Marriage Act is indefensible, and wasting tax dollars on perpetuating discrimination is unconscionable.”

Let's all give Rep Boner a collective yell for thinking "it's about the children! The children, I say!"