Weak AT&T Signal???

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Industrialsize, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I have an Iphone and no longer have a land line. The problem has been that at home, I have a very weak signal and often drop calls or have to go outside to make a call, not an option as winter approaches.
    But I just discovered a new product which has solved all of my problems. It's like a mini cell tower set up in my living room. It is attached through either your cable modem or router. I went from having a weak signal with one partial bar to having a strong signal with 5 bars. No more going outside to make or receive a phone call!. It's called the AT&T 3g microcell and cost about 150 USD. It was a snap to set up. Anyone with questions feel free to PM me:
    AT&T 3G MicroCell

(N.B. well, I am in no way associated with ATT or any other company and don't stand to make a dime. I'm just a happy customer sharing what he found works for him)

2. pablovian

pablovian Member

Yeah - I have the same problem in my home. It just pisses me off that their solution is so expensive - I could see maybe MAYBE paying $50 - but not $150.

3. Robert53

Robert53 Member

Albums:
    you know, i have heard all the bitching about AT&T, but i have never had a dropped call: Georgia, rural parts and England and France this past summer. Maybe it is that plate in my head that strengthens the signal.....

4. midlifebear

Gold Member

The only place I have problems with cell phones is in the USA. Hell, I can get a clear strong signal in the Subte of Buenos Aires. And the streets of Barcelona are crowded with Blue Tooth folks repeating "Vale. Vale. Vale. Vale . . . infinitum," as they stumble along. Both Spain and Argentina have Telefonica and Claró competing for those cellular minutes. It's almost impossible not to get a strong signal.

But out in the wild and woolly west of the USA it's hit or miss. Usually miss. Where my ranch is located in Elko County there is no longer a land telephone line that runs north from Ely, to Wells, to Jackpot and into Twin Falls, Idaho. The Winecup Ranch once had a land line, but once the property changed hands and parts were sold off, no one was wiling to pay the upkeep on a telephone line used by a maximum of 24 people along a 230 mile corridor. Therefore, we probably have the worst cell phone service in the world in Elko County.

Does Att&T have a tower solution for those of us who do not have the ubiquitous telephone plugs leading to a land line found in most buildings in the developed world? That would solve a lot of problems.

#4 midlifebear, Oct 19, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  5. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

My uncle had the same thing done for his Verizon phone. Mini cell tower. :) He said it worked like a charm!

6. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't have a land line anymore.........This new mini cell tower works off of your broadband internet. Before I couldn't make a call from within my house. Now, FIVE BARS!

7. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's rare I have a prob. with my cell and with AT&T. In all the yrs. I've been with them maybe a dozen calls were dropped. The 1 time there was a problem was early this year, I lost the signal, it went dead entirely. Finally, because I still keep the land line precisely because these things happen, I called AT&T. There were 2 towers in the area with problems. They did a few things and an hour later I had full signal and service again. Excepting that the signal is always great, even in the tunnel and the shed, never lose all the bars.

8. LookingCurious

LookingCurious New Member

Albums:
    I have never ever EVER had problems with AT&T service...and I was proud to let everyone know. Never any dropped calls, or even bad quality during calls. I would literally brag to all of my friends about how great AT&T was.

Until I moved into my new apartment, that is. There is only one place in my apartment, about 1 square meter (literally) where I must stand to send and receive calls. There are actually certain places where I can sit my phone that allow it to receive text messages (my furniture is, in turn, arranged in a way that there is a side-table, bookcase or other furniture in those exact spots so I can sit my phone there to get texts...I kid you not).

At first I figured it was my apartment, its an historic building with thick masonry walls. But whenever my father visits his phone (a Blackberry on Verizon or T-Mobile) gets perfect reception anywhere.

Its so frustrating. I feel so disconnected (I know it sounds silly..but its true). I've been thinking about getting a land-line and I've also considered the MicroCell but my internet service is sometimes unreliable as well (but to a much lesser extent).

Draft saved Draft deleted