wealthy parents, or superior genes? which would you prefer if you had a choice?

wealth versus genetics

• wealthy parents, inherent average genes

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • middle class parents, inherent superior genes

Votes: 39 84.8%

• Total voters

midwestbeef

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you were given a choice between being born with very wealthy parents but passed down average genetics (ie average looking, average intelligence etc.), or parents of average means but passed down superior genetics (handsome/beautiful, very intelligent, athletic etc.), which option would you choose?

Intrigue

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I chose what I am. I always thought "What if I had been born rich?" but I wouldn't sacrifice my intelligence.( I often doubt myself and my intelligence but I'm told on a constant basis that I shouldn't worry because I tend to prove myself wrong. It is a matter of being too harsh on oneself) wealth would be nice but with an average intelligence it would be like giving wings to a frog just so he wouldn't bump his ass when he hopped.

If I wasn't so damned afraid of failure I would probably be in business for myself. Had a few ideas in the past few years that I've seen hit the market and it keeps pissing me off I haven't hit the patent office lol.

Last edited:

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Only the less-intelligent people who've been born to rich parents are likely to answer that they prefer the rich parents to the superior genes. If even they.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I can speak from bitter personal experience about the misery of heredity. My ancestors passed down some seriously fucked up genes to me, and as a bonus they were poor too. I expect there's a connection.

Having said all that, I really do rather like the personality my faulty neuro-genetics have given me... but I'd swap my body in an instant, it's just not functional.

I've known many offspring of the wealthy, some offspring of the mega-wealthy. They're a mixed bag, some are people I admire and think very highly of, some are somewhat deficient as whole human beings IMO, and that portion seem to have been deprived of certain vital life skills and traits by the facility which wealth affords.

I think on balance I'd plump for inheriting better genetics and welcome the tougher lessons of a life lived more meagrely.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Already got the genetics.... :biggrin:

Edit: And, no, am not talking about the physical characteristics. Am able to do what I do (and enjoy it) because of genetics.

Last edited:

Miscer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This is one of the most offensive threads that I have ever seen anywhere.

You are either a moron or a nazi. Perhaps both.

Godwin's law. I'm offended by people who evoke nazis and offense like a wind-up PC bot.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Godwin's law. I'm offended by people who evoke nazis and offense like a wind-up PC bot.

Fuck off.

How many beefheads are worth one Stephen Hawking?

If you even look at life like this your genes have bypassed your brain.

I couldn't be arsed to write eugenicist.

Last edited:

Rather be born into a happy family, tbh.
But good genes would be nice whether they were from middle, lower or whatever-class parents.

I know what the OP is getting at, tho - Genes v Money/Privilege? Genes every time for me (plz, lol). :)

Miscer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Fuck off.

If you even look at life like this your genes have bypassed your brain.

I couldn't be arsed to write eugenicist.

Do you even realise what you just wrote?

Miscer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How'd you come to this conclusion Drifter? Am I missing something?

Shrieking sanctimony is the cry of the vapid mediocrity.

Or, more generously, the intellectual climate is super-sensitive to anything that could be construed as eugenics or nazi-related, making discussion of such issues fraught with moral import.

There's nothing offensive about asking on an online forum whether you'd want good genes or wealth, though it's a bit distasteful and not something you should discuss on a first date or over the family dinner table...