"Wearing briefs=immaturity"?

swedish fish88

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've never understood this line of thinking . It some women say when asked what underwear they wan to see men in that briefs "creep them out", or remind them of their dad/little brother. Not say that men are any better; many guys would be quick to assume that you are gay just for wearing briefs. Why is this? What , does this mean that a guy wearing boxers or boxer briefs is hot shit, mature, and a worldly man?

sykray

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have never seen the logic of this prejudice against briefs.

I have always worn them. Partly habit, I suppose but also because from 16 years old until 27 years old I had recurrent bouts of epididymitis (I don't wish to sound defensive but I wasn't sexually active for the first 7 years of this period of time so it wasn't a sexual infection). I needed the support of the testicles that briefs could provide. I lived through the time when men's trousers were skin tight and boxers were impractical. I now live in tropical Thailand where most men wear shorts, often baggy and of thin material. If you sit or squat then people can see your genitals unless you wear briefs or boxer briefs. I could wear boxer briefs nowadays but they are only sold here under brand names and cost far more than briefs. I see no point in paying for brand named underwear if I am comfortable with the cheaper briefs.

Maybe the prejudice is akin to how people regard Speedos. Is it a fashion fad or a prudishness about showing a visible penis line?

I think every man should choose whatever he wishes to wear or is comfortable wearing.

swedish fish88

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The penis is only supposed to be revealed behind closed doors, and also seen as a source of comedy (as are grown men wearing briefs, especially tighty whities) Many men find there own penis ugly, especially if uncut. The same goes for Speedoes; you're immediately branded some type of deviant for wearing one.

ColonialBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Last edited:

pdxjoe

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
It's called peer pressure. And the need of the younger set in the US to wear baggy clothes, for fear they might show some tight body form or part. I have worn briefs all my life. It may be that those of us past 60, liked the support briefs give us over time. I do not believe briefs= immaturity. Just my 2 small coins.

D_Alec_Baldtwins

Account Disabled
Media
There's a broader lesson here, about caring about the puerile opinions of women, and letting them influence the choices you make, whether it's something as trivial but personal as your choice of underwear, or something more significant.

sammann

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
My wife use to say that when she asked and a guy said he wore briefs it almost always resulted in the guy being large. She had some truly gifted exboyfriends, two of whom couldn't wear boxers in the summer ebcause their dicks would hang out.

redneckgymrat

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Briefs are a comfortable and practical form of undergarment. The only thing immature, is the opinion of *others* about whether or not one should wear them.

jockmaestro

Loved Member
Media
Too fuckin weird. In a world where sexuality is BLATANT, why are guys afraid to wear briefs that might show their bulge? I suppose it's a kind of advertising, and if a dude is not gay, he's afraid it'll send that message?
I know that ALL the guys i went to hs with wore white briefs. (Graduated from hs in 78). In college, some of the preppy guys wore boxers, and they way they acted, they always had! It was strange to me; all i'd ever seen were briefs. A guy in boxers would have been laughed out of the locker room for wearing grandpa's underwear.
How did it all change? I think briefs are what real men wear.

2xistTrunks

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I don't think there's any connection between wearing briefs and your maturity level or sexuality. I know plenty of guys who are straight, gay, and otherwise who wear briefs simply out of personal preference and comfort.

When will people quit trying to make underwear choice solely a matter of personality and/or sexual preference? Can't guys just wear what they like?

zephyr808

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I don't know about immaturity, but I do associate those basic white briefs with the Y-flap in the front that cost like $6.99 for a package of eight pairs at walmart with my father. And I refuse to wear anything that looks like that. So maybe what you were hearing had to do with those kinds of briefs, not the skimpier or fly-less varieties.

Like this

Last edited:

BigGlansDC

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
When I was a boy, my parents bought my brothers and me briefs as underwear. My dad always wore boxers. My younger brother when he got older switched to boxers.

I, on the older hand, stuck with briefs over the years because they gave me the support that boxers could never give.

If I had a wife who told me that wearing briefs was immature, I would have a serious discussion with her on why I prefer briefs and plan to stick with them.

There have been discussions here on LPSG on whether wearing jockstraps and speedo racing briefs were gay. For me, both undergarments have great functional value. That is why I continue to wear both to this day.

In the mid 1990's, I swam almost everyday at a field house in my neighborhood. The Olympic pool was used by faculty, students and staff of all ages above age 18. We all wore black Speedo racing briefs. It was the unofficial uniform of serious swimmers. We didn't think it as a gay garment!

Last edited:

ruggerkit28

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It is all to do with kiddies 'tightie whities'. They were naff, even as a kid I hated wearing them.

Designer briefs, sexy as hell, are a different matter althogether. Beats baggy boxers any day.

chuck216

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I guess I'm in the minority, I prefer going commando but when the situation calls for underwear I prefer briefs, I can't stand boxers, for some reason I don't like the feeling of them. I don't know why though.

tncentaur

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
By the time I was in 8th grade, I was taken aside in my Catholic school and told that I had to wear briefs for modesty (I was very large even then). I was hurt, asked my dad about it, and he laughed and laughed and laughed. Mom bought the briefs, and I liked them and as an adult male still wear them because they give great support. Being hung is something I never took credit for, it was not my own achievement. I have turned over on it, I have sat on it, I wince when it hits the water in smaller-sized toilets, but more importantly, I got turned down sexually for being built this way and have been stopped during attempts at sex because of my size. But it is mine and I am happy with it.
If she says briefs are immature, tell her she looks fat in that outfit.

swedish fish88

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have heard some friends from rural areas say that it doesn't matter if you wear regular briefs (hands, ftl)- in those small communities, a sense of fashion isn't a top priority. They said that they didn't notice it was a big deal till they went to metropolitan areas.