Weather seems more intense this year

B_superlarge

Experimental Member
Media
I don't know, but watching the news lately it seems as if something unusual is occurring weatherwise. I recall some scientist saying a little while back that our solar system is entering a part of the galaxy that has very potent energy recordings coming in, and that he thought this would affect earth and even more so our sun which in turn could cause an affect on earth. Anyone here up on weather study? He wasn't getting much attention from other scientists, but could he have been right?

D_Herin_Ghan

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm a meteorology major at Penn State. This year doesn't seem more peculiar than any other year to be quite honest. Fact of the matter is, that nowadays on any day there is weather that is out of the ordinary you will hear people say "Global Warming" or something to that effect. I work for the Pennsylvania State Climatology office in addition to studying, and wrote the climate summary last month. Temperatures were slightly cooler and there was above average precipitation rates. Worldwide, things seem in line with what you would expect from a La Nina season.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't know, but watching the news lately it seems as if something unusual is occurring weatherwise. I recall some scientist saying a little while back that our solar system is entering a part of the galaxy that has very potent energy recordings coming in, and that he thought this would affect earth and even more so our sun which in turn could cause an affect on earth. Anyone here up on weather study? He wasn't getting much attention from other scientists, but could he have been right?

go figure... it's the sun, and external factors that have more to do with the weather than ... nevermind.

/the heretic.

B_boynextdoorkpt

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
It does seem to be more violent, last evening as I was watching the coverage of the tornados in Eastern Virginia, I thought about the weather patterns of the last few years, storms do seem to be stronger, more distructive, the summers are alot warmer, winters more mild. I truly believe this is the result to global warming and believe that it will only get worse and more extreme.

B_superlarge

Experimental Member
Media
I'm a meteorology major at Penn State. This year doesn't seem more peculiar than any other year to be quite honest. Fact of the matter is, that nowadays on any day there is weather that is out of the ordinary you will hear people say "Global Warming" or something to that effect. I work for the Pennsylvania State Climatology office in addition to studying, and wrote the climate summary last month. Temperatures were slightly cooler and there was above average precipitation rates. Worldwide, things seem in line with what you would expect from a La Nina season.

A lot of extreme weather has continued to happen since I began this thread. Still think things don't seem unusual?

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Weather patterns are very chaotic in the official sense of the term. That means from week to week, month to month, and year to year, there can all kinds of weather extremes.

Even without global warming, there would be stretches of mild weather and stretches of extreme weather. It is true that global warming has the potential to aggravate this stuff, because more warming means more energy, means energy means more weather extremes.

However, the amount of variation in weather from year to year is insufficient to use as a measure of global warming at this point. Other measures of global warming indicate it is happening but other factors such as La Nina and El Nino can make one year's weather be very different than another year's weather.

B_superlarge

Experimental Member
Media
As I mentioned in my OP, I still can't forget the Russian scientist's comments and how it hasn't received attention. Or at least it hasn't recieved attention we are aware of. The possibility of global warming aside for a moment, I find the hostile galaxy part curious. If he was right, why would it be ignored? I can't see any reason for the scientist to make it up. Why wouldn't scientists believe that adverse energy in the galaxy could adversely affect our sun and planet? Why isn't it in the news? I'm concerned that it might be dismissed because it's not mainstream thinking. Global warming receives so much attention - maybe we're waiting at the boat dock and are missing the plane ride.

themysis

1st Like
Media
England's weather's certainly more eratic than normal.

It's due to 'el nino' or 'la nina' which happens every few years. Can never remember which is which, but they bring either warmer or colder waters than normal to the Pacific which changes the globe's weather patterns that year.
It's just the Earth's natural heat exchange system, nothing out of the ordinary or to worry about.

B_superlarge

Experimental Member
Media
England's weather's certainly more eratic than normal.

It's due to 'el nino' or 'la nina' which happens every few years. Can never remember which is which, but they bring either warmer or colder waters than normal to the Pacific which changes the globe's weather patterns that year.
It's just the Earth's natural heat exchange system, nothing out of the ordinary or to worry about.

Ok. I'm still going to see if I can locate the Russian scientist's name. If I can, I'll post it. It may be tomorrow or so before I can.

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I know what you mean OP. In the last week or so there have been around 6 or more tornados come thru my little metro area of north west Alabama (if you've watched the news at some point in time...they have been showing footage of a tornado coming thru a parking lot and picking up multiple cars and throwing them all over the place...well thats in my area) Its really becoming tiresome. Last night I was at a party having a blast, when all of the sudden, the tornado sirens went off and we all had to run into the house and duck and cover. Thankfully the tornado went to our north and south, although there was trees uprooted around my house (no injuries thank God). But, yeah.....the weather has been crazy this year so far, although I will say so far, we have had distinctive seasons instead of mild and outrageously hot.

EDIT: I was wrong about the storms last night here. There was one death (an old tree fell on top of a truck, instantly killing the passenger and seriously injured the driver, who was airlifted to a hospital).

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ok. I'm still going to see if I can locate the Russian scientist's name. If I can, I'll post it. It may be tomorrow or so before I can.

I think you mean the report by a Dr. Alexei Dmitriev at the Russian National Academy of Science in Siberia? It was more than a little while back though - 1997.

There's some related info in an old issue of American Scientist.

B_superlarge

Experimental Member
Media
I think you mean the report by a Dr. Alexei Dmitriev at the Russian National Academy of Science in Siberia? It was more than a little while back though - 1997.

There's some related info in an old issue of American Scientist.

Yeah, that him. I wasn't aware it was 1997, but I suppose in the universal clock of things that's not far back at all.