Wedding Question

robert617

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I just got an invitation to a wedding and I am not sure what to expect. I live in Canada and the two people getting married are women that I've known in the past. I was having sex with one of the women and it was she that introduced me to her friend. This was about five years ago and at the time I took it to mean "friend" not partner. We had several "one on one"s and a couple of threesomes and it was pretty clear they were bisexual.
With this wedding and therefore commitment to each other, it seems they decided to go without men in their lives or am I misreading this totally.
They are both in their early 40's though they could easily pass for mid 30's. Can I possibly expect a bit of a return to the "good old days"? I plan to attend and can certainly handle whatever is going to happen, its just that this is definitely new territory for me.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Go the the wedding to honor the marriage of your friends. Don't do anything to spoil their special day.

If you can't trust yourself to do that, don't go.

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I agree with Pecker (Oh god - help me please). The day is about their wedding not your reunion - still I'd try to get a phone number, and I imagine the rest of the guests would be fairly interesting.

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
big dirigible said:
I never attend the wedding of an ex, unless I can go dressed as Banquo's ghost.
(Strictly speaking, Robert is an ex of both of them.)

Don't expect anything more than speeches and cake.

Even if they still fool around, I should think that on their wedding day they'd focus their attention on each other, their bond, their love. Don't intrude.

It's a sacred day for them, or at the very least a sentimental one. They honoured you with an invitation. Honour them back.

I wouldn't ever miss the wedding of an ex. I loved them once, and want to see them happy. And because of one's inside knowledge, one is generally a pretty good judge of the couple's prospects for happiness--always a fave topic of reception gossip.

If I were you, Robert, I'd adopt the classic single guest MO and get cuddly with the bridesmaids. Unless they're drag queens.

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
headbang8 said:
(Strictly speaking, Robert is an ex of both of them.)

Don't expect anything more than speeches and cake.

Even if they still fool around, I should think that on their wedding day they'd focus their attention on each other, their bond, their love. Don't intrude.

It's a sacred day for them, or at the very least a sentimental one. They honoured you with an invitation. Honour them back.

I wouldn't ever miss the wedding of an ex. I loved them once, and want to see them happy. And because of one's inside knowledge, one is generally a pretty good judge of the couple's prospects for happiness--always a fave topic of reception gossip.

If I were you, Robert, I'd adopt the classic single guest MO and get cuddly with the bridesmaids. Unless they're drag queens.

Yeh...:wink:

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
robert617 said:
I just got an invitation to a wedding and I am not sure what to expect. .. I plan to attend and can certainly handle whatever is going to happen, its just that this is definitely new territory for me.
Here's what you do robert. Wait for the appropriate time to say "Stop the wedding! I want to get off!"
But seriously robert they still like you and want you to be a part of their special day. If they want anything else I'm sure that they will ask.

lol dreamer20

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
dreamer20 said:
But seriously robert they still like you and want you to be a part of their special day. If they want anything else I'm sure that they will ask.
True, dreamer20. For example, if Robert is the ONLY wedding guest, I'd say he got was an invitation to something else, too.

Reactions: dreamer20

robert617

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Just an update on the Labour Day weekend wedding.
The wedding was beautiful and I went solo.
dreamer20 said:

lol dreamer20
You were right dreamer 20- they did ask and things will pick up where they had left off - to a certain extent.:smile:

Reactions: dreamer20

MclLau

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It is an invitation and it is rude to turn down an invitation in the first place. You are invited as a guest so be there as a guest. Nothing more.

Chrysalis

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I know this is a really old thread, but I'll chime in anyway.

Three of the guests at my wedding were men I had slept with (only one had been a serious relationship, the other two were just friends). ToolMan was aware of my history with all three, but I didn't detect any uncomfortable feelings on anyone's part. Maybe it was because we had all remained friends, and TM knew that I had moved on and none of them were a threat to him. They were all just really happy for me that I had found my "match."

I think it's just a matter of being courteous. The two hetero guys brought their girlfriends, and the bi guy came alone, but I don't know that the presence or absence of a date makes any difference.

If you attend an ex's wedding, just show up and leave the past where it belongs -- in the past.