weight gaining shakes

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by grandunification, Feb 3, 2009.

1. grandunification

grandunification Well-Known Member

Albums:
    I have been working out for several months now. I started at 150 and still weigh 150. I can bench a lot more than I used to lift though. I would like to gain 35 pounds over the next year or so. Is that impossible to imagine? I'm not trying to set my goals unrealistically.

I have heard that shakes can help a lot if you combine it with the weights. I was wondering if someone experienced in this area could recommend a good weight gaining shake to take that has no dangerous side effects?

Thanks,

grandunification

2. pym

pym New Member

It's Pure PHYSICS:
    To lose weight, you MUST burn more calories than you ingest.
    Apply the reciprocal.
    To gain weight, you MUST ingest more calories than you burn.
    To gain muscle mass you will need to increase your protien uptake.
    I was very thin as a teenager, in those days {before Protien powder shakes and supplements} I used to drink 2 Carnation instant breakfasts made with whole milk and 2 peanut butter sandwiches EVERY night....in addition to my normal food consumption.
    That helped me quite a bit.
    If you put on weight.....be sure it's muscle mass and not fat.
    If you increase your fat intake {milk/cheese/icecream} by a large degree....you may want to take a regular adult aspirin [325mg.] a day too.....helps to keep your arteries from clogging up.
    Above all exercise. Keep the cardio work-out up there with the weight training.
    Good-luck.

3. killerb

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I was always very skinny...I tried shakes, pills, powders & ate massive quantities of food...

none of it helped me gain weight...

4. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    Gaining thirty-five pounds is 23% of your total body weight. Gaining even ten pounds of muscle in a year, once you are an adult is very difficult. That would leave you with and added twenty-five pounds of fat. Not good!
    Be very careful about trying to gain with high calorie or high fat regimens. Once you make additional fat cells, they are yours for life.
    Dave

5. EL_Duderino

EL_Duderino New Member

if you never lifted before its surprising you didn't get the initial 10lbs most people get when they start lifting but maybe u shed that much fat and gained back that much muscle. remember muscle weighs more than fat. honestly 35lbs of permanent weight is pretty unlikely. u can however take a bunch of supplements but when u stop u will lose that weight. but even than 35lbs at your current size seems pretty unlikely. i really would jsut work on eating the right things and ltos of them to gain size, i never recomend supplemnts that industry is not regulated and u never know what u r getting or the long term effects of it. just start planning out your eating and make sure you are taking in at least 5k calories a day if u r really pressed togain weight. it will work but cut back on the cardio if u want to put on size. simple formula to gaining weight is to eat more calories than you burn. no matter who you are or how fast your metabolism is, you will gain weght that way. but of course if oyu have a very fast metabolism you will burn more calories than those without. good luck.

6. musclebare9

Gold Member

Some are thin for life. I sucked down the shakes years ago and would gain a few pounds. As soon as I quit, the weight would disappear. I just ended up blowing a lot of money. It sucks when you are younger and trying to bulk up but as you get older you will enjoy it. I can eat whatever I want while everyone else is on a diet. I always try to eat healthy but can eat junk with no visible affect. As Dave said, realistic goals are important. The body is only capable of building so much muscle a year, the rest will be useless fat. Too many start out with ridiculous goals and wind up hurting themselves at the gym.

7. D_Diesel Oyl

D_Diesel Oyl New Member

How big do you ultimately want to get?

This is America, you can do whatever you set out to do. Hire a good trainer if you can afford it.

8. EL_Duderino

EL_Duderino New Member

it's not impossible at all but it will take more than a year to accomplish correctly.

9. D_Diesel Oyl

D_Diesel Oyl New Member

Take a look at Primal Savage on here - shoot for that.

10. B_625girth

B_625girth New Member

I lifted weights and drank some protein shake stuff back in HS, 40 yrs ago. my dad got this from some body building place. I was in the basketball program and needed some weight. I was 6'5", 158 lbs. at the end of the summer I was stronger, my weight dropped from 158 to 152 lbs. I ate 4 meals a day, drank 6-8 big glasses per day of this powder mixed with ice cream, milk, bananas, and wheat germ. I remember the wheat germ would give me a huge boner, and at my age I had no problem achieving that. the only part of my body that is fat, then and now, is my cock.

11. Steve26

Gold Member

Albums:
    It definitely wouldn't be impossible for someone your size to gain 35 lbs. in a year, but the ability to do so is RARE.

In August 2004 I switched from machine weights to free weights. I also greatly upped my protein intake (and caloric intake in general) to support my lifting. At the time I weighed 160 lbs.

By May 2005, nine months later, I weighed 207 lbs. (You can see before and after pics in my profile.) To be fair, I'm betting that 5-10 lbs. of what I gained was fat, just because I was eating SO much ... I spent a good chunk of the next two years tweaking my diets and workout to try to burn off some of that unwanted mass.

So clearly gaining 35 lbs. in a year CAN be done. That said, any bodybuilder I've ever told about my 47-lb. gain in 9 months has been blown away by it ... so I think it is VERY unusual, and that I'm an abnormally "easy gainer" of mass.

Your gains with weights are largely determined by genetics ... and I'd say that for most people, a gain of 35 lbs. in a year is unrealistic to impossible. It is very important to be realistic about what's possible based on your body type, lest you become disillusioned at not reaching your goals and give up entirely. If you're a strong ectomorph, 35 lbs. in a year is probably not doable, but it might happen if you're solidly endomorphic. You never know until you try.

It is very important to focus on diet if you want to gain mass. I tell people that I attribute half my gains of 4-5 years ago to diet, with the other half coming from the lifting itself. So you are smart to pay more attention to what you are eating to support your lifting and muscle gain.

Whey protein is generally considered integral to gaining mass through weightlifting. Simply put, it's hard to shovel that much lean protein into yourself through meals alone, unless you are eating a half-dozen chicken breasts or cans of tuna a day.

Frankly, I think most brands are fairly interchangeable if you look at the nutritionals -- most offer 20-25g of protein, <2g fat, and <5g carbs per scoop of powder. For most lifters the choice comes down to taste. (You're not gonna get any benefit if you can't gag down the shake, right?)

I've had good luck with Optimum Nutrition's shakes; my current fave is the rocky road flavor. You can buy a sampler on Amazon to try some flavors and see what you like before committing to a $40 5-lb. tub.

Good luck!

Steve

12. grandunification

Albums:
    Okay, I guess I'll never get to 185 like I wanted to. That's okay I guess. Maybe I don't actually want to get that heavy. I don't think I'm good at estimating how different I'll look if I gain "X" pounds. Perhaps I only want to gain 10 pounds. What is a good weight for somebody 5 feet 11 inches tall, average build?

Also, it may help if I upload some pics for you guys and girls. I'll try to see if I can figure out how to do that with my cell phone. I couldn't figure it out a while ago. I'll give it another try. I might throw one in of my cock, something that definitely doesn't need to be getting any bigger :) j/k.

13. paulobr79

paulobr79 Member

Albums:
    Hey,
    I was 132 pounds when I started and I'm now 165 pounds. Its taken me about 18 months. I've been on Maxi muscle products on and off for the whole time. I'm now pleased with the way I look although I would like bugger legs. I'm 5 10 and think I look in proportion to my height. Don't forget about the cardio too. Good Luck

14. formygirlfriend

formygirlfriend New Member

I started at 120 lbs and now 2 months later Im up to 130 lbs. I train Muay Thai 3 days a week and the other 2 days I lift. The Muay Thai really kills my weight gaining cus its so hard on my cardio and I burn so many calories. I drank one MHP Up Your Mass shake a day. Its 850 calories with milk .

I drink alot of milk also. Hope that helps.

15. D_Cliebert_Chodechoker

Every shake on the market is more or less the same. The idea behind them is that they are high calorie. The more calories you eat the more weight u gain, the less calories u eat the less weight you gain or u lose weight depending on how much of a calorie defecate(just means that your burning more calories than you are eating, it is how you lose weight) you have. Your best bet is to just eat more food. The more protein you eat the more water you should drink because protein has the tendency to dehydrate you so just keep that in mind when you choose to add extra protein to your diet.

16. Steve26

Gold Member

Albums:
    I wonder if you are confusing whey protein shakes (used by bodybuilders) with "shakes" like Ensure (used by hospital patients who are in danger of wasting away). The two are VERY different. I think the title of this thread may be misleading in this regard ... I assume the OP was actually referencing whey protein shakes.

Whey powder is actually not very high in calories. A scoop of most brands, with 20-25g of protein, will generally have about 120 calories. That's fewer calories per gram of protein than most other forms of lean protein, including chicken, tuna, skim milk, or cottage cheese.

Steve

17. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

have never been able to gain any weight

I tried thousands of dollars in (dietary) supplements

I have gained in size -- went from 44 inch suit coat size, and am currently wearing 48", but now pushing at fifty inches (waist size is still at 32" - 34")

my weight remains unchanged -- varying on a daily basis between roughly 175 to 184 lbs, like it always has :dunno:

18. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm the dictionary picture when you look to the left of the definition of ectomorph. The only thing that helped me gain ANY weight was using Serious Mass when I had my trainer. It has 1250 calories in each shake. I split them bween 2 servings. But I also had 4 of them a day besides taking my food intake from 2500 cals a day to almost 4000.

19. grandunification

Albums:
    I uploaded a pic of myself finally after two years of being on this site. How much weight do you think I need to gain to look good?

20. OCMuscleJock

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's not impossible...you just have to REALLY be focused and stick to your plan. I eat approx 6 meals a day. Very High Protein intake and work out 6 days a week. One bodypart a day...so not to overtrain any muscle group. I really didn't start gaining till i got into my 30's and its been a goal for me to get to a certain weight..then lean down. Still got approx 25 more lbs to go!

OH I'm about 220 now... and 6 yrs ago i weighed 145... so it IS possible ...and with stuff you buy at the health food store before anyone asks that ONE question. :)

here is what i looked like 6 yrs ago.....

http://pics.bigmuscle.com/photosl/301/BM2504301.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted