weight loss at the gym (and home??)

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by jb_lax, Aug 11, 2007.

1. jb_lax

jb_lax New Member

gday all

i joined a gym in december last year. i must admit that ive been pretty inconsistent with how often ive gone to the gym - all the usual excuses.. at the worst of times ive gone only once a week, but i normally go 3 times.

anyway, in that time ive been feeling that ive increased my strength through weight training (though not heaps).

the problem is i havent lost any weight whatsoever. i need some help! im about 95kg/209lbs and really wanting to lose that weight.

what sort of cardio training should i be doing for weight loss?

are there specific considerations i should be taking for my diet?

what about diet drinks etc?

any advice??

2. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Here are a few things that you might want to try.

1. Ice cold glass of water, first thing when you wake up. (Speeds up your metaboism)

2. Lean down your diet. Bake your chicken, with no breading. Turkey, fresh steamed veggies, don't boil them. NO POP. Steer clear of anything that has White sugar in it. Natural sugars are OK, like fruit.

3, Jog, Rollerblade, Swim, or sports of any kind will help you loose.

4. No meals after 6PM

5. Make your biggest meal as Breakfast, Lunch your second biggest meal, Dinner Light meal. Healthy snacks inbetween.

6. 34g of Fiber Per day. I buy the "Fiber One" bars. They're 9 grams of good fiber, and 3 bars, morning noon night, you have your fiber, and it will help to rid your body of excess waste and fat, the healthy way.

Granted, there are a few things I do here already to loose weight for myself, but mabee you can find one that works for you.
    C

3. jb_lax

jb_lax New Member

thanks rikter..good advice. i will try and take it on board. cheers mate!

what else do u guys reckon? what works from ur experience?

4. braumeister

braumeister New Member

Albums:
    Running works for me, if your knees can take it.

As for the fact that your weight hasn't changed, it is possible you've lost some fat and then put on some muscle. Are your clothes looser? Novice trainers tend to gain quickly, but most of those gains are through efficiency changes (there is a fancy term for it, but I can't remember it. Basically, your muscles get more efficient and coordinated at working), but you might have put on some muscle.

Also, being consistent helps greatly.

Rikter8 has some great advice. Weight loss is mainly related to your diet, however, exercise does help and helps keep you from losing muscle.

5. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Despite promises to the contrary, I never lost any inches off my waist by lifting weights in a gym. Even vigorous swimming did little to help. I did get bigger and stronger but I didn't become trimmer.

I didn't lose pounds until I was well into training for a marathon and bicycling. It took hours and hours of aerobic excercise for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted