Weight Loss Nutrition

123456qwert

Sexy Member
Media
Hello everyone.
like most people, I need to loose weight (fat).
I’ve looked at the calorie and macro calculators and it seems crazy the amount of food I would need to eat just to maintain.
I already have poor eating habits. Some days all I eat is dinner ( like salad and chicken breast)- coffee for Breakfast and lunch, other days I’ll eat breakfast lunch and dinner.

I’ve counted my macros and calories a bunch of times (MyFitnessPal) and there are weeks I’m in the deficit ( I can eat the same meals for weeks). The other days, when I counted , even eating when and what I wanted, I was ina deficit.
These calculators say I should be eating 21000-3000 calories. I tried once and couldn’t eat it all.
I’d be a house if I ate that everyday.
BTW: 45 yo, 6’2”,238lbs and more than 30% body fat. Sedentary desk job.

Any advice to steer me in the direction of some good resources would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Sailingbear

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Treyburn, North Carolina, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Strange as is sounds I lost weight and size from weight lifting. The calories burned during the workout day kept me losing weight, the muscle building took size down as well. I also live on a keto diet. This has helped a lot also.

nailz

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Counting your calories and macros at least until you can look at a plate of food (or a drink) and accurately estimate the calories/macros is the best way to start your awareness of nutrition and losing weight ;)
Most overweight people tend to vastly underestimate the amount of calories they are taking in through food and drink and snacking and overestimate their physical activity.

If you want to strip fat quickly and have an iron will try Keto combined with some HIIT exercises. Keto is only effective if you adhere to it strictly.

51arledge

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Calories and macros are the granular details.
What worked for me was:
* Eat as many grams of protein per day= desired lean weight in pounds.
* Eliminate all starches (bread, pasta, rice, white potatoes) after lunch.
* Consistency in meal times and number of meals. Skipping meals some days just confused the metabolism. If your body doesn't know when the next meal will be, it will learn to store as much of each meal as possible---as fat!
* Lift weights. A heavy lifting session will boost your metabolism for more than 24 hours whereas a cardio workout boosts it for only a couple of hours.

socalfreak

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No app or computer program will know your body better than you.
What works for one person won't work for another.
I would strongly suggest you keep a daily journal of all your food and drink, every day.
Read product labels. Don't guess how many calories are in something.... Look it up.
And be honest. (Was that really a 4oz burger?... Or was it more like 8oz?)
Once you get a handle on what you're taking in.... You can start making adjustments.
Weigh yourself and include it in your notes.
After a while, you'll be able to look at your book & see: hmm... I've weighed the same for two weeks now. Time to reduce my calories.
Doing this will indirectly make your more aware and informed about food choices and nutrition & be a long term benefit to you.
Only takes a few seconds to write it down.
Hope this helps.
Good luck!

nailz

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I would strongly suggest you keep a daily journal of all your food and drink, every day.
Read product labels. Don't guess how many calories are in something.... Look it up.
And be honest. (Was that really a 4oz burger?... Or was it more like 8oz?)

When teaching overweight people about nutrition I've asked them to log a meal..
I also logged the exact same meal and sometimes there was over a thousand calorie difference between what they logged and what I logged :eek:
The problem areas are almost always neglecting to log drinks, not using a food scale and totally underestimating the size of portions (logging one "serving" when it was actually more like three), not logging condiments and "extra" sauces (especially mayonnaise), and not logging snacks (..it was only a "handful" of peanuts).

someperson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Hello everyone.
like most people, I need to loose weight (fat).
I’ve looked at the calorie and macro calculators and it seems crazy the amount of food I would need to eat just to maintain.
I already have poor eating habits. Some days all I eat is dinner ( like salad and chicken breast)- coffee for Breakfast and lunch, other days I’ll eat breakfast lunch and dinner.

I’ve counted my macros and calories a bunch of times (MyFitnessPal) and there are weeks I’m in the deficit ( I can eat the same meals for weeks). The other days, when I counted , even eating when and what I wanted, I was ina deficit.
These calculators say I should be eating 21000-3000 calories. I tried once and couldn’t eat it all.
I’d be a house if I ate that everyday.
BTW: 45 yo, 6’2”,238lbs and more than 30% body fat. Sedentary desk job.

Any advice to steer me in the direction of some good resources would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Get some blood tests done so you have a baseline to work with....
this is the first thing to do..

Counting your calories and macros at least until you can look at a plate of food (or a drink) and accurately estimate the calories/macros is the best way to start your awareness of nutrition and losing weight ;)
Most overweight people tend to vastly underestimate the amount of calories they are taking in through food and drink and snacking and overestimate their physical activity.

If you want to strip fat quickly and have an iron will try Keto combined with some HIIT exercises. Keto is only effective if you adhere to it strictly.
The only reason what Keto works is because of the cutting of added sugars....you don't even have to be a scientist to figure that out .

As a good example is heavy beer drinkers basically it's a Heavily processed sugar drink, they drink 10 -15 beers a day and they get huge beer bellies from it...

other wise the risk of consuming large amounts Sat fats and cholesterol outweighs any further benefits....It's probably why covid almost killed you as lots animal proteins are harder on the body .. (kidneys and liver "aka fatty liver")

BEEF and cows milk ( and whey) especially since it contains prolactin(boner killer),natural and synthetic testosterone (DHT that is what causes hair loss), estradiol, estrogen and progesterone..

i do still eat beef but once per week only 100% organic and 100% grass fed

Phytoestrogens i.e soy, your not a plant lol.. are not mammal compatible, while beef is bio available

My diet is more plant based... I do use plant based protein supplement.. USDA certified 100% organic though....
really happy with the results and gained a ton of upper body muscle mass(esp my biceps 1" increase i can see the bicep vain :) now) as well as my free testosterone increase by a lot all ready 58%(reading from 3.5 months ago the previous test was 225, 9.5 months ago)
but it's probably in the 400-450 range now at the rate it's going....

Juiceypeen

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Get some blood tests done so you have a baseline to work with....
this is the first thing to do..

The only reason what Keto works is because of the cutting of added sugars....you don't even have to be a scientist to figure that out .

As a good example is heavy beer drinkers basically it's a Heavily processed sugar drink, they drink 10 -15 beers a day and they get huge beer bellies from it...

other wise the risk of consuming large amounts Sat fats and cholesterol outweighs any further benefits....It's probably why covid almost killed you as lots animal proteins are harder on the body .. (kidneys and liver "aka fatty liver")

BEEF and cows milk ( and whey) especially since it contains prolactin(boner killer),natural and synthetic testosterone (DHT that is what causes hair loss), estradiol, estrogen and progesterone..

i do still eat beef but once per week only 100% organic and 100% grass fed

Phytoestrogens i.e soy, your not a plant lol.. are not mammal compatible, while beef is bio available

My diet is more plant based... I do use plant based protein supplement.. USDA certified 100% organic though....
really happy with the results and gained a ton of upper body muscle mass(esp my biceps 1" increase i can see the bicep vain :) now) as well as my free testosterone increase by a lot all ready 58%(reading from 3.5 months ago the previous test was 225, 9.5 months ago)
but it's probably in the 400-450 range now at the rate it's going....

Just started trying to lose weight again today. Saw this post, read your comment and was kind of confused. Could you explain what you mean by a blood test and getting a baseline? I understand blood sugar and sodium have a bit to do with it but is there more to that?

DarkoRabbit

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Just started trying to lose weight again today. Saw this post, read your comment and was kind of confused. Could you explain what you mean by a blood test and getting a baseline? I understand blood sugar and sodium have a bit to do with it but is there more to that?
Maybe they were referring to A1C/diabetes test? Understanding A1C | ADA

Reactions: Juiceypeen

someperson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
what i mean by that is something you can compare.. to future results
just a routine blood test ..

to see if things improved

DarkoRabbit

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
BTW, like many people, starving myself, eating foods I didn't like and working out like a beast didn't result in any lasting weight loss. I was about 250-260... I got a FitBit and a smart scale that helped me log calories, steps and food... The FB let me scan and enter what I was eating, and it was quickly obvious that I was eating too much of the wrong stuff. No surprise.

Rather than radically change my diet or exercise habits into something I knew wouldn't be sustainable, I took the "slow road" by eating a bit less of the same things and finding palatable alternatives for the worst offenders. I did not really work out any more than before, I just tried to stay consistent with what I had already been able to do long-term -- like walking and hiking. The weight loss took a lot more time than many might be patient with, but at least it was fairly constant with few disappointing spikes that seem to often derail people's progress.

I think I dropped to around ~170 after ~1.5 years, which was too skinny for me @ ~6'2". After that, I worked a part-time freight job that helped build some muscle and landed me at ~190-200, which felt better for me. Like most people, I put on some "pandemic pounds" and no longer fit into my 32s that I worked so long to get back into.:worried: I just bought a FB Charge 4 on a Black Friday special and am going to start logging my food, etc. again. I haven't had the courage to step back on the scale yet, though. Maybe I'll wait until I see a little progress. :)

Good luck!

DarkoRabbit

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
what i mean by that is something you can compare.. to future results
just a routine blood test ..

to see if things improved
Need to ask your doc, but depending on your history/health, etc. they might want to check cholesterol, thyroid, testosterone, etc. levels. I had low thyroid, which was easily treated.