Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I need advice about toning up and looking fantastic.

I am currently a size 18 UK with wide hips on an hourglass figure with extra insulation on my thighs and abdomen that I want to get rid of.

On Thursday I will be starting a Muay Thai class which lasts 45mins and will take the class twice a week from then. I have access to a free fitness room at University which has treadmills, rowing machines and floor mats. How often should I do cardio if I am doing the Muay Thai twice per week (Tues and Thurs) and will a 1600 calorie a day diet plan be OK?

Any advice would be fantastic and I welcome all input as I am stuck in a rut (I've lost 20lbs so far but have hit a plateau).

Thanks xx

alx

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There are some good diet plans out there which will allow you to lose loads, just to give you an idea on calorie intake; 500-800 isn't unusual. That's taking into account a proper program with nutritional supplements.
If your just doing your own diet plan then higher calorie intake will be needed, so 1600 sounds good.

Cardio, to burn fat but NOT muscle keep your heart rate 70-80% of your max heart rate (220-age). If you feel up to it you can do cardio for 3 day on top of the muay thai.

By far the most important thing is the diet.

Need any other advice like bmi, weight etc...just shout as I've got loads of conversion charts as one of the family is a dietary consultant.

FeroxFemina

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Diet is what worries me as I am strange with food. I have always been fussy but am extra careful with what I eat because I was a bulimic teenager.

My weight has steadily crept up since then recovery and I am now eating a maintainence diet which consists of Complan (Complan offers nutritional food supplements) plus random other stuff I like (yoghurt, fruit, bread).

I can eat 'normally' but my anxiety creeps up and so I wanted to stick with complan (the flavour I have is on the above link), made with milk 3 times per day minimum and add on foods for fibre and nutrients.

Will this work for me if I stick to approx 1600 calories?

Thirdlegproduction

Formerly WhiteMonst3r
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
doing cardio at low intensity in the morning with an empty stomache is very effective but exhaustive. You should definitaley eat a proper meal before starting with muy thay because it is a high intensity workout.

If you are going to limit your consumption then better make sure that what you eat is highly nutritional because 1600 calories of soda is not equal to 1600 calories of fish or vegetables.

KTF40

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't really understand what that complan stuff is, but if it has 60grams of carbs and 48 grams of sugars, that doesn't seem like the kind of food item you want to eat to lose weight.

The key to weight loss is eat less and work out. In terms of the eat less, your calorie intake seems fine, but keep your fat intake low (about 10-20% of your total calorie intake), keep sugar intake low, and keep carb intake low (and don't eat carbs after 6pm). Also be smart with your liquid intake by avoiding sodas and energy drinks. Actually, if you could get to the point where you only drink water, that will be extremely helpful because you'll avoid all the empty calories that come with most drinks.

In terms of working out, muay thai seems fine for 45 mins, but if you don't break a sweat than you probably aren't working hard enough. If you are breaking a sweat, do muay thai twice a week and then another cardio exercise one day a week (like work your way up to running/walking 3 miles on a treadmill or something).

Oh yeah, and as the above poster stated, doing cardio on an empty stomach is also ideal.

KTF40

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah, kind of seems like it. But obviously I'm saying that without really knowing what your entire diet is. If you're eating breads and fruits every day, I would guess you're already getting a decent amount of carbs with that.

D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

Experimental Member
Media
you'll burn more fat weitntraining than with cardio, you can't spot reduce, you have eat what you can sustain meaning it's a lifestyle choice you can't live on 600 caloreis a day for life and stay heathy. no diets. as soon as stop you'll gain back more. if you really want results you're going need to mre than 45 minutes muy tai twice a week and cardio once a week. if it was that easy everyone wold look great.

Last edited:

FastErik1973

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The least amount of k cals you should eat is 1000-1200 a day. Another way is your weight times ten for your k cal intake. Eat 58 percent carbs 12 percent protein and 30 percent fat 10 mono 10 poly and 10 sat fat. I think you should lift 3 times a week and do some cardio everday. Start off with 15mins a day and add 1 min per workout per week. Once your up to 1hr of cardio a day you will be ins hape. Lift 5-8 reps 3 sets 1-2 mins rest to build up your strength.

cdog204

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
If you want to lose weight quickly, I'd suggest cardio every day that you don't do Muay Thai. An easy option is to do the "Weigh Loss" cycle on an elliptical. This runs at low resistance for 4 minutes, then higher resistance for 4 minutes, and cycles through for 28 minutes with a 5 minute cool down (on a Precor machine). This gets your heart rate into the ideal zone to burn fat and lose weight. As for diet, keep it clean. Chicken, fish, fruit, and vegetables, nothing fried or processed, and you will see the weight absolutely melt off. Good luck!

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
As someone who has had eating problems in the past, I would avoid any thoughts of an extremely low calorie diet. If you can afford it go to a nutritionist and have that person put you on a proper diet.

In the US there is something called the Dash diet, which is mainly for lowering blood pressure and the like, but also can show you how to create a healthy meal plan.

Losing weight slowly over a longer period of time is usually healthier and lasts longer.

I do agree with adding one day of cardio with the Muay Thai. I like the variety, since that will hopefully keep you from getting bored, so you will keep it up longer. That and the ability to kick some ass after you lose the weight and tone up and the guys start chasing you is also a good thing.

Personally I would add two days of weight training, muscle is a good thing.

Last edited:

fri2219

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What ever you do, do it consistently.

Cardio work is important, but adding resistance training and flexibility work will complement and enhance its effects. If I were in your shoes, I'd add full-body, compound joint, 20 minute weight work twice a week, and add a joint friendly aerobic workout for variety after 8-12 weeks.

The weight workout doesn't have to be anything fancy- there are plenty of excellent routines that use just a mat and your body weight, like pushups, reverse dips, and planks.

If you're looking for suggestions, I'd try: Scooby's Home Workouts. His advice is rooted in sound physiology and is usually entertaining.

Thirdlegproduction

Formerly WhiteMonst3r
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When your diet and workout routine is going smoothly you could consider using supplements like fatburners and whey proteines.

I can recommend animal cut as it burns fat but also deals with excessive water retainment.

In the netherlands using efedrine is illegal because abusing it can cause heart conditions and it is classified as a medicine which only doctors may prescribe.
But it works WONDERS for losing fat.
I lost about 5 pounds a month using this while not working out less then usual.

Yohimbine is also a very potent fatburner but it also works as an afrodisiac so you'll be horny most of the times while using this.

But in all fairness these supplements should be used like the name says supplementary and if you would consider using fatburners do not make the mistake to be dependand on them because diet and work out will still give you the best results.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Diet is what worries me as I am strange with food. I have always been fussy but am extra careful with what I eat because I was a bulimic teenager.

My weight has steadily crept up since then recovery and I am now eating a maintainence diet which consists of Complan (Complan offers nutritional food supplements) plus random other stuff I like (yoghurt, fruit, bread).

I can eat 'normally' but my anxiety creeps up and so I wanted to stick with complan (the flavour I have is on the above link), made with milk 3 times per day minimum and add on foods for fibre and nutrients.

Will this work for me if I stick to approx 1600 calories?

I was forced to go one a medically-required diet in 2001, when a medication I was taking for HIV sent my cholesterol from 150 to 525 in less than a month. I was given two options: either switch a medication with proven results in improving my immune system or go on the diet (plus two additional medications to control lipids and triglycerides).

I chose the diet, under the supervision of a nutritionist, and in the end lost almost 40 pounds of what I used to call "insurance fat" (an HIV thing), going from ~180 to ~145 lbs over about a year. It was a ruthless no-fat, no-cholesterol, never-no-kidding-never diet. It involved reading the label of virtually everything I put in my grocery cart. I was only allowed feta (not my beloved French chevre cheese) or an occasional slice of Lorraine, otherwise no cheese at all. I wasn't allowed anything but skim milk, but since most breakfast cereals are high in fat, it was no big loss, and worked well enough on oatmeal.

I could eat reduced portions of fish and/or chicken (and occasionally turkey), but no pork (or ham), no eggs and no beef of any kind, ever.

I learned to enjoy lemon juice on my vegetables, because both butter and margarine were banned. I also couldn't eat avocados, which was a huge loss. Lemons also work well on salads, because none of the standard dressings were permitted.

The only bread I was allowed was 100% whole wheat, and the only condiment was certain mustards, but since deli meat was banned, it really didn't make much difference except with tuna, which I'd mix with pasta rather than eating in a sandwich. Crunchy peanut butter became one of my staples, and certain preserves were acceptable (though not many).

Beware of anything labeled "lowfat", because the term is meaningless and completely relative. Only 0 fat is no-fat, and that's what the diet required.

This diet was one of the most difficult things I ever accomplished, and if my life hadn't been at risk I doubt I could have stuck with it, but I did; it was only five years later, when my cholesterol was coming back in double digits that my doc told me I could reintegrate fats into my life.

The good news: since 2006 I have retained the weight loss while eating whatever I want (look at my gallery: I have the body I had in my early 20s at 50). Also, by sticking with the diet, I eliminated that all-too common problem of humps, lumps and bellies that are so common with people with HIV. I credit that diet for keeping me alive. And I'll re-iterate: I was under continuous medical care and following the advice of a nutritionist.

The bad news: my lust for food never really came back: 90% of eating for me right now is more chore than joy. The other bummer is that that medication caused some pretty severe (and permanent) arterial damage, but that had nothing to do with the diet at all and everything to do with the medication's preventing me from properly absorbing/digesting fat.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
As to toning up:

I have never been interested in bulking during my workouts, and I despise cardio (personally), so I always concentrated on lower weights with much higher reps. I generally did five sets of ten or twelve reps per exercise.

When I was a full-on gymrat, I worked out 5-6 days per week. After stretching and warm-ups, about half of my allotted time was spent on abs, which I did every time I went. Otherwise I'd rotate arms/shoulders with lats/pecs. I always had enviable legs, so my lower-body workouts were minimal, but my various gym partners would work out their legs/butts at least once per week.

Lots of guys never really understood why I was so keen on lean over bulk, but because I'm so short (5'6/173 cm), I could easily have gone full bulldog, which may be cute at 30 but is an ugly, sagging mess at 50. Besides, I have arthritis in my neck and simply cannot lift heavy things without great risk. So I stuck with my light weights in high-multiple reps and got the lean, ripped look I wanted with zero injuries.

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
When your diet and workout routine is going smoothly you could consider using supplements like fatburners and whey proteines.

I can recommend animal cut as it burns fat but also deals with excessive water retainment.

In the netherlands using efedrine is illegal because abusing it can cause heart conditions and it is classified as a medicine which only doctors may prescribe.
But it works WONDERS for losing fat.
I lost about 5 pounds a month using this while not working out less then usual.

Yohimbine is also a very potent fatburner but it also works as an afrodisiac so you'll be horny most of the times while using this.

But in all fairness these supplements should be used like the name says supplementary and if you would consider using fatburners do not make the mistake to be dependand on them because diet and work out will still give you the best results.
All these things are so bad and unecessary. Lazy is not an excuse