Weight Loss ??

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by fontigogal, Jun 15, 2011.

1. fontigogal

fontigogal New Member

Hi Ladies (and men I guess hehe) it's summertime and I need to shed a few pounds. I don't want to do p90x or one of those hardcore workout tapes because I heard they will bulk you up. I've been hearing alot about that hcg stuff and was wondering if you guys knew anything about it?

This looks too shady to be real KetoMist.com ... has anyone heard anything about this? Do you think it's a good idea, or do you think I should stick to the more practical diet and exercise routine. I've done the regular routine before but I always tend to gain it all back :frown1:

Is anyone else in the same boat as me?? I could use some help/advice on losing that weight/getting healthier! :smile:

2. D_Amadeus_Mofart

D_Amadeus_Mofart Account Disabled

I'm a certified personal trainer, and studying health and exercise currently.

My advice would be to stay away from that kind of stuff completely. Pills, herbal aids, and that stuff is complete shit. Most of it is either fraud, or really unhealthy for your organs.

Re: P90x, it's a pretty solid program.. the big thing about it is that it really gets your heart going to burn that fat. You would get very big on it as it doesn't include weights, and it's all body weight exercises.

Use your online resources.. go to mens health weight loss section, as well as bodybuilding.com to read about diets, workouts etc.

Try and find a HIIT program to do a few days a week, and you'll melt away that fat.

All the best in your fitness goals,

Tyler

3. Kaichan

Kaichan New Member

Hmmm... I've never heard of either of those programs that you were referring to. I've recently lost 20 pounds in about 3 weeks. I basically just exercised a ridiculous amount- biking, running, going to the gym as often as possible- and cut down A LOT on eating. I'm young and somewhat athletic though, so I don't really know if that will work for you.

4. HappyBoi

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't have any knowledge or ever studied anything like this, but I have lost weight myself.. what I did was a lot of running. I ran on the threadmill. And made minor changes in my diet. Traded white bread against dark, stopped drinking juice and drank milk and a lot of water. Tried to stay away from fast food, ice-cream and the four dangerous C's :tongue: Candy, chocolate, chips & cookies.

Good luck! :biggrin1:
    Why a mens health weight loss section? ;P She's a woman, there has to be some place for women as well. ;D

5. D_Kitten_Kaboodle

D_Kitten_Kaboodle Account Disabled

Be sensible and don't do any "crash diets"...they are only temporary and then when you start eating "normally" the weignt will come back fast.

What has worked for me:

64 oz of water daily PLUS an extra 8 oz glass for every 5 pounds you want to lose. Be consistent with drinkng the water....

Add an additional 20 min cardio program to your exercise. You really don't need more just something to get your heart rate up and moving for 10-15 mins then come back down . (I use an elliptical and enjoy it, have used the treadmill in the past, and I can really feel the weight melt - or sweat - off) Brisk walking or jogging is also good.

Eat healthy. Three to five small meals a day, limiting the amount of carbs you take in, but not eliminating them. Portion size and balance in your meal will actually help you lose weight, even though you may find you are eating more. Changing the way you look at food, and adding more green veggies, and less starches. Because I love salads, my lunch or supper usually consists of a salad. Supper, I may add a small piece of grilled chicken or fish.

Another thing I have found helpful is keeping a journal of everything I eat. It's amazing what you find yourself nibbling on without thinking. And a journal will help you keep up with your water intake, as well as making sure you get your 3 - 5 (small) meals ...

Dietary supplements (life Fish Oil) are healthy for you, but will not in and of themselves help you lose weight.

Now, I realize I am not the 'thinnest' person on the site, by far. But since I changed the way I look at "health" in general, I feel better, and have lost a few pounds. And yes, increasing my workout from once daily to twice a day to lose a few more for the summer.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

#5 D_Kitten_Kaboodle, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  6. parchissi

Gold Member

Lose it while your young - when you get older its damn hard to lose weight!!!!

7. monel

Gold Member

Most of the woman I know claim they need to lose weight but even when the do they are not happy with how they look. In fact often being too heavy isn't the problem. That's because losing weight is only part of the equation. A certain amount of weight training is necessary to achieve good body composition. It is a fallacy that weight training will "bulk you up". Instead a good workout routine with low weights will merely tone and give definition. It will not make a woman look masculine. Once you increase your muscle mass it also has the added advantage of helping you keep the weight off since even in a passive state, muscle continues to burrn calories.

#7 monel, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  8. D_Kitten_Kaboodle

D_Kitten_Kaboodle Account Disabled

Amen!!!!

9. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    P90x uses weights or resistance bands, and a pull up bar. I still agree that a woman isn't going to bulk up on the program as long as she isn't injecting herself with steroids.

OP: The injections you're talking about are controversial. Most believable sources say that the reason users lose weight is that their calories are reduced to around 500 a day. 500! Yo are supposed to get at least 1000 more than that unless you're in a wheelchair and do not push yourself. Seriously, it's screwed up. Those programs promise you will lose a pound a day. That's a great way to destroy your innards. You have no idea what your body makes as bi-products when it burns fat. Your kidneys and liver are equipped to handle it, but only if you lose weight at a sensible rate.

Don't take the lazy way out. Move more, eat less. See a nutritionist and a trainer if you can. G'luck.

10. closetfreak

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Why are you gaining it back on the 'regular routine'? Are you following the regular routine or do you do it for a few weeks and then go back to old habits? The thing that I dont like about P90x is that its not sustainable for most people. 90% of the people that ive seen go on P90 quit once they reach their goals. They push so hard to get there and once they get it they quit. Theres no quick fix or easy way to get a body like some of the people here. It takes a shit load of effort and will power to break your old habits and get into the daily routine of eating properly. The first thing I would recommend is to look at your past failures and see where you went wrong.

11. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    I find eating less and exercising more does the best job.

12. fontigogal

fontigogal New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions! I actually just went to my doctor and asked him about the hcg stuff, and he said that there are actually doctors who use that for their patients, but he doesn't suggest it because there are easier/less expensive ways to do it. That website said 85 dollars (and claims a pound a day), and I don't think I'm willing to pay that much money anyways, buttt hey if you have the money someone should try it and let me know how it goes! :p

After consulting my doctor, with his reccomondation, I've decided to lower my calories and start an exercise routine. All the suggestions have been helpful! I've looked at why my past programs haven't worked etc and I finally feel equipped to do it!

Hopefully I'll have good news in the upcoming weeks!

13. D_Skippy_Skidmarx

D_Skippy_Skidmarx New Member

What ever you do don't cut back to a 1000 calories a day diet. Work out hard and eat smartly. I eat 6 to 8 small meals a day and about 2000 calories. When I ride bicycles, I'll eat 4000 to 5000 calories. I still loose weight too. Once I learned to fuel my metabolism, I lost more weight and got to eat more. Don't starve!

14. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Tyler, as a personal trainer and student of health and fitness, offers the most credible advice. As someone who has struggled with weight control, the only answer is to change ones lifestyle to include regular vigorous exercise with both weight training and cardio, and sensible food choices. It's the only way to maintain fitness and to keep the weight off. There is no easy fix for being overweight and out of shape. We have to make the effort. Good luck to you!

15. SirConcis

Gold Member

Albums:
    You want to do endurance exercise at low energy level. Once your blood sugar drops, your body generates enzyme that releases fat into the blood so the muscles can burn them. But burning fat is far less efficient so doing high intensity will then get you to anaerobic which is bad.

A few hours of cycling will likely burn more fat than one hour at a gym doing more intensive exercise.

Raising your activity level for the whole day also helps since you then burn more energy during the day.

Don't let the scales discourage you. I find that there are periods where I just won't lose weight, followed by a week where the weight starts to drop and then stabilises.

You can only starve yourself so much. At one point your performance during sport will degrade and you will notice it and realise you need to increase your food intake. But if you do it properly and continue to increase exercise, your metabilic rate will increase and you'll continue to lose weight despite increased food intake.

Weight loss should be a side effect of doing sports, not the goal.

16. D_William Howard Shaft

D_William Howard Shaft Account Disabled

Resistance training, cardio, and watching what you eat are keys to weightloss sucess. My wife and I did Weight Watchers, and had a combine total loss of 90 lbs. It's a great program, but for me, I did not do enough resistance training and started to have shoulder issues. When my wife got pregnant, we both put some of the weight back on. About a year ago, we both changed our lifestyles again, got a gym membership and have really been enjoying life.

I added weight lifting into my cardio regimen, and I no longer have the joint aches I had before.

Exercise can seem like a chore, so I recommend finding activity that you will look forward to doing. For me, I love Spin Classes.

Draft saved Draft deleted