Weight Loss

92philip

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Hi, first of all congratulations on your weight loss that is a tremendous achievement. However, I have some suggestions for you to take your workout to the next level. Your dieting is probably enough at this point, I doubt you will have to reduce your caloric intake. However, I noticed that your workout is not nearly enough to reach your goals. You are doing an enormous amount of cardio with minimal weights. This works in the beginning, but after time anyone will begin to plateau. What I suggest is adding and incorporating more weight training to your routine. You should also be doing more abdominal workouts. For instance, crunches alone don't get you anywhere. It took me two years to figure that out. Once I stopped doing crunches I started noticing results. Try planks, roman chair leg lifts, hollow rocks, v ups, and reverse crunches. As you get a little stronger you can increase intensity with incline sit ups, and hanging leg lifts. All of these exercises can be found on youtube. I work with clients of all shapes and sizes as a personal trainer and I can tell you one thing. The type of workout that has been the most effective, is interval training. Rather than sit on a treadmill for an hour. Do 5 min of heavy plyometric training. Then spend 5-10 minutes doing weight training. Then cycle back to cardio. You are doing less cardio overall but your body is burning about the same amount of calories. Hope this is helpful, if you have any more questions just send me a message.

92philip

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
And as obi1 said 150lb is a little low for 5'10" I'm 155lbs and 5'10" and I have trouble keeping weight on. It would probably be better for you to be about 160lb but all muscle.

CowboyJosh

Sexy Member
Media
Get away from Panera sandwiches and salads, even what you think is "healthy" is loaded with calories at Panera. Subway is fine, but again no bacon, mayo, etc. As for your choices of chicken pot pie, thats another no-no. You should be eating lean meats like grilled chicken, and steamed vegetables along with working out at least 60 minutes a day if your serious about dropping 20 lbs. Even though Im a bona fide redneck, cowboy, I am a certified Personal Trainer and still do training at Lifetime Fitness and 24 Hour Fitness locations, that said being around 170lbs for your height is acceptable. You might go to the gym and do some lifting and weight machines to tone what you think you need to lose. I think 150lbs on a 5'10 frame is going to look sickly. Good luck, but keep a close watch on your diet.

tanstaafl16

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Two words:

Portion Control. I know it's more convenient, but all of those Subway sandwiches are just as bad for you as cheesburgers from McDonalds. The portions are way huge.

How big are your portions? Smaller is better, always. Also, one thing that's paramount, is that as you age, your body burns less calories. That's where you need less to maintain a weight. That's why many people gain as they get older.

I don't think the subway sandwiches are as bad as McDonalds cheeseburgers. The calories and fat are way less in a subway oven roasted chicken five dollar footlong. The only issue is what you put on the sandwich, if you put tons of dressing that it's less good for you, but I don't ever get dressing or cheese when I get a subway sandwich.

I have also ate a lot less processed food, the best thing is to shop at trader joe's as their policy is no additives or preservatives. However, tJ's does treat their employees like crap.

aninnymouse

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I don't think the subway sandwiches are as bad as McDonalds cheeseburgers. The calories and fat are way less in a subway oven roasted chicken five dollar footlong. The only issue is what you put on the sandwich, if you put tons of dressing that it's less good for you, but I don't ever get dressing or cheese when I get a subway sandwich.

I have also ate a lot less processed food, the best thing is to shop at trader joe's as their policy is no additives or preservatives. However, tJ's does treat their employees like crap.

The thing about all the Subway stuff is that it has a lot of sodium in it. Sodium leads to fluid retention, and retards weight loss. The bread, obviously is all carb. So even if you don't put all the meat and cheese on there, there's still a lot of sodium from the meat you do put on there, the carbs from the bread, and whatever you do add.

Really, if possible, homemade stuff is better, because you KNOW what you're putting on it.

Really, the formula is simple; burn off more calories than you take in, and you'll lose weight.

LeftCoast

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Just to reiterate what Longfun said: the scale is not necessarily your friend if you're working out and trying to lose fat. Rely on the tape measure instead. Muscle is denser, weighs more, and has higher caloric requirements than adipose tissue.

redbear52

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How quickly you will lose weight depends on how much of a calorie deficit you are willing to tolerate. As others have said, I wouldn't worry about a time table. Try to select an degree of calorie deficit that you can tolerate long term that allows you enough energy to exercise.

For me, and especially as I have gotten older, exercise is the key. I used to burn up a lot of calories road biking on rides up to and over 100 miles. If you can find an activity that gets your heart rate up to a sustainable level and keeps it there for an hour or more, you will consume a fair number of calories. Unfortunately, you can take in as many calories as you burn up in an hour in less than 5 minutes.

Even though the amount of calories you consume during exercise is frustratingly low, increasing your muscle mass will increase the number of calories you consume at rest. Muscle tissue consumes much less oxygen at rest than during exercise, but it still consumes a lot more than fat and most other tissues. Also, exercise promotes synthesis of fat burning enzymes in the muscle tissue, so your muscle becomes more efficient at consuming calories as you train. All part of the increased metabolic rate that was mentioned.

The other important aspect that was also mentioned is your body fat composition which is really more important to you than your gross weight. In extreme cases during training you might be losing body fat by converting it to muscle and actually gain weight in the process. So you could go for quite a few weeks losing fat and see no change, or minimal change in your weight.

You might consider buying a digital scale that estimates body fat percentage. Here is an example: http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Prec...NTHU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328709194&sr=8-1

I have seen a lot of folks criticize these scales because they don't accurately determine body fat percentage. That may be true but the important thing is to get a relative indication of body fat. If you are using a scale like this (and it is important to compare readings taken the same time of day under similar conditions) and you see your body fat percentage dropping and your weight staying the same, then you know you are going in the right direction and you have some motivation to continue your program.

D_Sandy_Krautch

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I can't help but add a few things. 1. Muscle does not weigh more than fat. Its more dense... but a pound weighs a pound no matter what its made of. A pound of fat is just BIGGER than a pound of muscle. 2. You can't say what is a good weight for anybody. The tape measure and body fat percentage are really the only things you should rely on. I weigh 185 pounds but wear the same size as a friend who is the same height and weighs 155. Our bodies are a very similar shape. When all is said and done, the scale is just a way to torture yourself. 3. McDonald's, Panera, AND Subway are bad for you but McDonald's definitely takes the cake. At least the other 2 are reasonable facsimiles of real food. That being said... No deli meat is really very good for you. Its all too high in sodium. If the rest of your diet is fairly low sodium, it shouldn't be a huge issue. For sodium content to drastically retard weight loss, you'd have to be pretty sensitive to it, and eat an awful lot. If you're working out well, you'll sweat a fair bit of it off. If you feel bloated or swollen... its probably good to take a look at your sodium intake. The average Joe is probably not going to be too troubled by even a few pounds of water retention, though. Unless you're a fitness competitor or something, you'll likely not even know its there =/

Last edited:

bigo4show

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I found the best way to lose weight and get lean is to incorporate weight training and high impact aerobics while doing a high protein low carb diet. There are many ways to go about losing weight and staying lean. Try weight training in the morning and then doing a program like Beachbody Insanity in the late afternoon for 60 days. That's usually my routine. I have pics to prove on my weight loss, just look at my profile pics to see my transition and determine for yourself. Plus I got my girl into being fit and now she loves it as well.

rjp1346

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
One pound of muscle and one pound of fat weight the same, it is the density that makes the difference. Which one is heavier, one pound of feathers or one pound of lead. Same weight different volume.

Last edited:

sinep08

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Hotswimmr - What great info, not to mention a great body and good looking dick. I am at 260 right now and have just started to cut back on the calories - like you, I've decided I don't want to be fat anymore. I'll be printing your post and referring to it as I get started on this journey. Thank you.

Last edited:

aninnymouse

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
One pound of muscle and one pound of fat weight the same, it is the density that makes the difference. Which one is heavier, one pound of feathers or one pound of lead. Same weight different volume.

So which is bigger by mass? One pound of fat, or one pound of muscle.

One pound of feathers will have more mass than one pound of lead, guaranteed.

I do not count calories I eat till I'm full but I only eat fruits veggies and lean meats like chicken and fish. I completely cut out grains, starches, and legumes. I lost nearly 60 lbs in 5 months. I'm not saying to do it my way because it was tough, I run 4 miles a day.

D_Blue_Barry_Eel

Account Disabled
Media
I'm 10st 2lbs at the moment, started working out and stuff before Christmas and was 11st 3lbs at the time. I cut down my eating habits rather heavily (but not ridiculously heavily), jog for about 30-60 minutes every day and do several various exercises indluding push-ups and crunches every day too.

If you've got the time, jogging every day may be worth it, and do check your eating habits.

D_Alec_Baldtwins

Account Disabled
Media
Hotswimmr - What great info, not to mention a great body and good looking dick. I am at 260 right now and have just started to cut back on the calories - like you, I've decided I don't want to be fat anymore. I'll be printing your post and referring to it as I get started on this journey. Thank you.

Thank you, and wishing you all the luck in the world! Good for you for taking control of the situation! You WILL get there!

Well, I'm trying to gain weight. Regular exercise plus a large (healthy) diet - been a week in and have gone from 145 to 147. Very slow process. I'm shooting for 160 although 175 would be perfect, I just don't have the body type to get there. I know it will be slow. I'd focus on more cardio than weights (I'm the other way around for weight gain) and make sure you eat regularly to keep your metabolism running high. Just eat the proper foods and proper meal sizes that's most appropriate for weight loss. I find most people trying to lose weight will eat less often but all that's doing is causing your body to slow down and fight burning off your fat. Best of luck bro!